• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

The course was tough and the soft fairways added to the difficulty. But majors ought to be played on tough courses that are set up to reward excellent shots, to result in pars for mediocre shots and to penalize poor or inaccurate shots. Quail Hollow did those things better than almost any major course in recent memory.

I think the players are a bit spoiled by playing on courses that permit mediocre play to result in sub-par scores.

BTW, JT's shot on 17 was one of the more courageous shots of this season. That is the kind of golf that ought to be rewarded with wins at a major.

yeah, but apparently they were being penalized for good shots too. Paul Casey stuck one in around five feet and it rolled off the green. I didn't see it on TV, but saw it on Twitter. Overall, I agree with you though. It's fun to watch the best in the world struggle a little bit.

I read somewhere recently that Sedgefield closes for 2 weeks for the Wyndham and that members still have to pay for tickets to the tournament. Could be #fakenews.

Sounds about right on the time frame, however the set up at Quail was not even in the same spectrum as the Wyndham. So much more to set up and take down.

Seemed like a lot of complaints from the players about certain changes though (apparently a lot of dislike for the new par 3 4th hole) so hopefully it doesn't turn players away from coming back when it returns to being the Wells Fargo for the next couple of years. Also wonder what the effect of the movements of the Players and the PGA Championship on the calendar might be as far as the Wells Fargo. Currently only contracted for two more years through 2019 also.

Pretty sure they are tearing up that green this week in hopes of having it fixed in time for the next WF.

Went to a PGA Championship preview event a few months ago. Johnny Harris hinted that Quail might just host big events going forward. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the Wells Fargo doesn't get renewed. The PGA said there was a 100% chance they'd bring the PGA Championship back to Quail. I'm sure there have already been discussions about Quail hosting something everything 6 or 7 years.

the members that I have talked to seem fine if they don't have any regular tour stops....they now have their major under their belt (with another to come from what the PGA said this week), and a presidents cup in a couple of years. They're happy, and no tour stop means they get their course back to play full time.

It's not that big of a deal to be without the course for 2-3 weeks when you consider how much money the club makes off the tournament and how tour pros show up on random days to play a round.

That had to be pulled, and overdrawn a bit. His miss under pressure is left. No way was he deliberately taking on that pin.

Courageous, stupid or pulled? Or some combination? You don't go for that pin with a lead

It was a great shot that was neither stupid or pulled IMO. Ball landed middle of the green and took the natural funnel of the land towards the hole. I mean, yea he may have pulled it from right center of the green to dead center of the green but his reaction to the shot with the initial line (at least according to trackman) all add up to me that it was exactly where he was trying to hit it. As pure a 7 iron as you will ever see given the moment.

That was a 7 iron? Jesus, that hole was playing 220 on Sunday

Yea that part was silly. Unreal how long JT is given that he's like 145 lb's soaking wet.

It was a great shot that was neither stupid or pulled IMO. Ball landed middle of the green and took the natural funnel of the land towards the hole. I mean, yea he may have pulled it from right center of the green to dead center of the green but his reaction to the shot with the initial line (at least according to trackman) all add up to me that it was exactly where he was trying to hit it. As pure a 7 iron as you will ever see given the moment.

I believe you are exactly right. He showed no surprise or apprehension after he hit the shot. He intended to go at the flag.

I believe you are exactly right. He showed no surprise or apprehension after he hit the shot. He intended to go at the flag.

Well, to be precise, he intended to go at the middle of the green and hoped to utilize the slope to take the ball toward the hole. He hit it perfectly and it did just that. If it had been a couple of yards short or long it wouldn't have fed to the hole that way but it still would have been safely in the middle of the green.

Was a great shot, think JT will be a multi major guy (4-5) when it's all said and done. Pretty remarkable group of young americans playing the game right now.

Was a great shot, think JT will be a multi major guy (4-5) when it's all said and done. Pretty remarkable group of young americans playing the game right now.

Yeah, I really can't understand the people that think golf was better when Tiger was winning everything. There are SO many good golfers right now. Speith, DJ, Day (lol at his finish on Sat.), JT, Fowler, McIroy, Koepka (although he is pretty boring), Matsuyama, Rahm, etc. It's so fun to watch. You also have some good heels like Bubba Watson and Ian Poulter. Golf seems to be in a great spot moving forward.

Yeah, I really can't understand the people that think golf was better when Tiger was winning everything. There are SO many good golfers right now. Speith, DJ, Day (lol at his finish on Sat.), JT, Fowler, McIroy, Koepka (although he is pretty boring), Matsuyama, Rahm, etc. It's so fun to watch. You also have some good heels like Bubba Watson and Ian Poulter. Golf seems to be in a great spot moving forward.

I agree. I know I was in the minority, but Tiger winning those tournaments by such margins made me less likely to watch. You're right there are so many players out there that are a threat to win not just one major, but multiple majors. I've made this point before, but late 80's into the 90's, Davis and Freddy were considered 2 of the best of that era and they've only got 1 major a piece. There's probably 20 guys at least out there now that could win multiple majors.

i think golf was a lot more fun when Tiger was winning all the time. it's like Mad Men; the best eps are the ones where Draper was a boss, not a whiny loser drunk.

Was on campus yesterday for my son's interview and went to the Deacon Shop on campus. Bill Haas was in there with his kids. He is in town for the Wyndham and had been over at the practice center practicing with Uncle Jerry.

Congrats on you son's interview!

I remember going with my son for his admission interview- and now he's a proud graduate of Mother So Dear!

Tiger transcended golf, and nobody on tour does that right now. That's the difference, like it or hate it.

Plus he was far better than anyone on tour now, and watching golf played at the highest level is what I like to see

Plus he was far better than anyone on tour now, and watching golf played at the highest level is what I like to see

Consistently in his prime? Yes.

What's fun now though, is there are several guys whose best is on par with Tiger in his prime. They just don't do it as consistently as he did during his dominant stretch. Tiger's putting never was close to as good as Spieth's. He could never consistently hit it as far as Rory, DJ, Koepka, etc.

Basically, in the hypothetical that Tiger was in/was entering his prime now, he would not win nearly as many tournaments/majors, due to the level of competition whose best can compete with his best. He used to win tournaments, including majors, without his "A game" all the time. That wouldn't fly in today's game, for the most part.

Consistently in his prime? Yes.

What's fun now though, is there are several guys whose best is on par with Tiger in his prime. They just don't do it as consistently as he did during his dominant stretch. Tiger's putting never was close to as good as Spieth's. He could never consistently hit it as far as Rory, DJ, Koepka, etc.

Basically, in the hypothetical that Tiger was in/was entering his prime now, he would not win nearly as many tournaments/majors, due to the level of competition whose best can compete with his best. He used to win tournaments, including majors, without his "A game" all the time. That wouldn't fly in today's game, for the most part.

Excellent observations.

Back