• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

This makes sense. Miss a fairway or miss a green and the difficulty of the next shot should increase dramatically.

Thick rough around the greens equalizes the short game and approach too much. Shitty shots get grabbed near the green instead of rolling out.

Tight areas and runoffs are going to make green surrounds much more difficult for the pros to hit into and pitch to the hole.

Makes it easier to separate the good short game players from the field. If it's all hack-out rough, then everyone is basically on the same footing.

See Shinnecock, Pinehurst, etc...

Sick assuming the North course? Hanse restoration looks great. Report back!

Yeap, I played on the golf team in HS, but not much playing since, and haven't really played many top courses out there, aside from Riviera once, but I've still never played on a course like it. My friend who I took tried to go pro for a few years, and was hitting from the tips. Crazy long for him, but not a lot of trouble off the tee most places. The approach shots are damn near impossible though. Pin placements can make it brutal.

Thick rough around the greens equalizes the short game and approach too much. Shitty shots get grabbed near the green instead of rolling out.

Tight areas and runoffs are going to make green surrounds much more difficult for the pros to hit into and pitch to the hole.

Makes it easier to separate the good short game players from the field. If it's all hack-out rough, then everyone is basically on the same footing.

See Shinnecock, Pinehurst, etc...

Was watching some of the women's tourney in Adelaide this a.m., and those Aussi courses have a lot of those shaved runoffs. Loved Royal Melbourne for the PC, and the Adelaide course looks kinda cool too. Also looking forward to watching some of the Riviera action the next few days. Never been there, but it might be my 2nd favorite piece of inland architecture to Augusta. And it's another example of an old course that is really tough without having to be overly long.

A million years ago on this thread, I posted that after Jack, I’d want Tiger standing over a six foot putt if it was for my life. Watching Tiger today, I’d have to take that back.

A million years ago on this thread, I posted that after Jack, I’d want Tiger standing over a six foot putt if it was for my life. Watching Tiger today, I’d have to take that back.

Tiger's still 1 of the all time putting greats. Riviera is his kryptonite on the greens. It's a lot of golfers' kryptonite. But it's 1 of the few courses where I set aside all Sunday afternoon to watch.

So you move a past prime Tiger down, but still rank 80 year old Jack Nicklaus as the guy you would want putting from 6’ if your life was on the line?

Why in the world did CBS fire 2 broadcast professionals in McCord and Kostis and bring in DLIII? I like Davis fine, but he can’t even test Kostis’s and McCord’s microphones.

I’d set aside all Sunday afternoon just to watch groups play number 10. What a great golf hole.

CBS is taking a lot of flack for not showing Harold Varner (one of the leaders at the time) top the tee with his 3 wood to 129 yards until an hour after it happened. No real reason for that.

I’d set aside all Sunday afternoon just to watch groups play number 10. What a great golf hole.

10 is maybe the best short par 4 in the game, though the severity of the slope on the green probably should be ameliorated a bit. And that back pin placement is brutal - did anyone hit a putt > 4' there? But it's not just 10, Riviera may have the overall best set of par 4s on tour. 2 and 12 are brutal, can't go long or left on 5, 7 has that false front, 8 the divided fairway, 9 and 18 are great finishing holes, and 13 and 15 aren't chopped liver. I also love the 2 par 3s on the front. Really, 1 is the only weak hole out there.

Any word on Bill Haas? I was surprised he did not get an automatic exemption into Riviera as a past winner. Looks like he plays in Puerto Rico this week. His might struggles continue and if he cannot turn it around this year he may have to use his career money list exemption next year.

CBS is taking a lot of flack for not showing Harold Varner (one of the leaders at the time) top the tee with his 3 wood to 129 yards until an hour after it happened. No real reason for that.

CBS gets a lot of flak for their awful coverage and that just adds to it.

Speaking of CBS and flak - listen to Peter Kostis on the No Laying Up podcast

I listened on the way into the office yesterday. Phenomenal. Listen to his call here on Reed. Dude has been cheating for years.

Guys are hitting it unbelievable distances at the Mexico WGC. I realize it’s the altitude, but 200 yard 9 irons and driving 400 yard par 4s just seem ridiculous.

Dang. 87% for NBC.

Great listen. Very interesting assessment of TOUR tv coverage.

Back