• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I had to Google who Grayson Murray was.

I'd take a major championship and all the glory (and still a huge purse) over just winning some astronomical purse. I tend to think most of the big names on tour agree with me on this.

He's a Trump Douche. And he was, sadly, a Wake golfer for a brief period.

Bill Haas is scrambling to try to try to get back to full status on the PGA tour. He was an alternate this week in the Sony Open, and was able to get into the event.

Bill Haas is scrambling to try to try to get back to full status on the PGA tour. He was an alternate this week in the Sony Open, and was able to get into the event.

that's good. I guess he is still holding off on using his one time exemption for winning the FedEx Cup?

Good tourney to watch early tomorrow a.m. in Abu Dhabi. And good leader board with Rory, Hatton and Fairway Jesus at the top. Getting to a good stretch for golf viewing - Abu Dhabi, Torrey, Dubai, Scottsdale, Pebble, Riviara and Oman.

Great golf weekend with breakfast in Dubai with a good field and Kitayama in the lead after round 1 and dinner at Torrey Pines while it's freezing here. And last week, yet another bad Sunday for Finau and Rory, McIlroy, not Sabbatini, who had himself a solid week.

Did anybody watch the Tiger thing on HBO? I thought it was pretty good even though it covered a lot of what i already knew. Seems like ancient history, but really not that long ago.

both “followed the rules”. i think it’s pretty likely reed took advantage of the rules to cheat in a way he could get away with. or course he’s not going to do anything that is egregiously / obviously against the rules that’s gonna get him punished.

I think Reed planned on "cheating" within the scope of the rules when he walked up and asked the volunteer whether the ball had bounced. If she had said that it did, which the video clearly showed, he would have been stuck playing the ball from that lie. The rules aside, there is absolutely no way a ball that bounces becomes embedded. Reed had to have manufactured that lip that the rules official found while he was poking around at the lie after he moved the ball. Disgraceful.

I think Reed planned on "cheating" within the scope of the rules when he walked up and asked the volunteer whether the ball had bounced. If she had said that it did, which the video clearly showed, he would have been stuck playing the ball from that lie. The rules aside, there is absolutely no way a ball that bounces becomes embedded. Reed had to have manufactured that lip that the rules official found while he was poking around at the lie after he moved the ball. Disgraceful.

Agreed. I was watching the coverage yesterday until it became clear he was going to win when Hovland started his bogey run. What I thought was significant, though, was the amount of time CBS spent on the subject when coverage switched from TGC to CBS. They spent the 1st 10-15 minutes on the subject. The PGA tour almost always downplays or ignores when players have problems, and the networks tend to go along with that. Just think back to DJ's little absence. But CBS went all out in throwing Reed under the bus yesterday. I can't think of another occasion when a golfer has been roundly denounced like this. I mean, Chamblee goes on his tirades, but rarely does anyone else join in. Add to that, other players are now openly criticizing him. I don't think what he did was as bad as moving the sand the way he did a year or 2 ago, but I think we've now crossed a threshold that I don't think we've crossed before. Reed is now officially persona non grata on the tour, and I wouldn't be surprised if the tour looks to take some kind of action against him the next time something like this arises. All that said, his short game is pretty special.

Yesterday was again another poor Sunday for McIlroy, though Finau finally had a pretty good Sunday outside of a couple of 3 putts on the back.

While I'm okay with the PGA's explanation that what Reed and McIlroy did was within the rules of the game, I think they know that theyhave a bit of a problem, especially with Reed. If there had been fans on the course, this likely never would have happened. I can't believe that the volunteer didn't see Reed's ball bounce two eet in the air and four feet past its original landing spot. What did she voluteer to do on Saturday ? It sure as hell wasn't crowd control.

Seems to me the easy way to fix this since it seems the controversy with Reed is the fact the after he picked up his ball, he "felt" around the area and may have created the lip that seemed to indicate the ball was imbedded. Change the rule that the player must ask a playing partner to pickup the ball and check it and if he either doesn't want to do that or disagrees with his playing partner's assessment, they must call a rules official. The player really shouldn't be the one checking whether the ball is imbedded or not, especially in the rough. Too easy to create an impression when picking up the ball.

If you missed it, Zalatoris hit a fabulous approach shot on the 18th to about a yard from the hole. He made the eagle putt that moved him from 14th to 7th place. Great way to finish.

Pretty good leaderboard in Saudi Arabia as well with some good Americans near the top - and for a tourney with low prize $$. I'm guessing there were many handsome appearance fees.

And go Zalatoris.

I was turning back and forth between Phoenix and the UVA game, and the golf was more exciting. It's great to see Koepka healthy and playing well after a forgettable 2020 and even greater to see Spieth in contention after 3 forgettable years. Also nice to hear fans, though I don't know how safe it is there.

And DJ won in the desert this a.m., beating a good field while having a poor putting week. There aren't many players who can win with their C- putting game.

Back