• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Spieth being labeled as someone who scrapes it around simply isn't supported by the stats. He was 4th in strokes gained tee to green last year and is 15th this year.

I think it's more like he has days here and there where he's scraping it around and has to rely on his ridiculous chipping and putting to stay in it. Kinda like his last round at Augusta this year. He missed some shots on the front but had some great chips. But when you miss on the back 9 there, you can't chip it to within 5' when your ball is in the water. Seems like he's a bit wilder this year. Maybe has to do with his searching for increased distance.

I think it's more like he has days here and there where he's scraping it around and has to rely on his ridiculous chipping and putting to stay in it. Kinda like his last round at Augusta this year. He missed some shots on the front but had some great chips. But when you miss on the back 9 there, you can't chip it to within 5' when your ball is in the water. Seems like he's a bit wilder this year. Maybe has to do with his searching for increased distance.

Every pro has those days, which is why stats over a long period of time (like the whole season) tell a better story. Also, I think Spieth is unfairly compared to his peers in the world rankings when it comes to ball striking. Compared to McIlroy, Day and DJ he seems less skilled with his iron play and driving.

One stat that jumped out at me this year is that Spieth dropped from top 10 to 70th in strokes gained approaching the green, which is a sign that his iron game is off relative to last year.

The bottom line is he is still in the top 10% of Tour players getting the ball from tee to green, which is why I say the portrayal of him as a hack who lives off his short game is a bit unfair.

Not to get too far away from the Ryder Cup discussion, but my dad played Quail yesterday after the redesign.

Waiting on a more in-depth report, but he said that other than #1 being a really cool par 5 opener, not a huge fan of everything they did.

Agree re: Spieth, LK. It is interesting to see how critical of each other these guys can be. They are no different than us hacks except their standard of excellence is probably unmatchable by any human.

Agree re: Spieth, LK. It is interesting to see how critical of each other these guys can be. They are no different than us hacks except their standard of excellence is probably unmatchable by any human.

Yup. Think back to SB2K16. I've said all of those things with my friends on the course.

"OH MY LEFT" "We're here at the 8th.... Let's see if spieth can finally hit a fucking fairway" "Hey Justin. that's the wrong fairway" etc....

I think they should boil all the performance stats for the year down into expected stroke averages for the Tour Championship, then distribute strokes based on points instead of the "reseed points" stuff. Center it at 15 (E) and give negative strokes to the top 14 and positive strokes to the bottom 15.

Maybe start with the leaderboard with Dustin Johnson at -8, Reed at -6, Scott/Day/Casey at -4, etc... Then just play golf and forget the number crunching.

Rumors flying on GolfWrx and at least one dude on Twitter that Tiger is in negotiations to purchase TaylorMade from Adidas. As with most Tiger rumors lately, probably not much truth to it.

Why would Tiger want to buy TM? From what I've heard and read, the apparel companies make decent profits, but the margin is slim for the equipment manufacturers. Not that there is anything wrong with TM - my driver and last 2 sets of irons have been TM, so I hope they stay in business.

Rumors flying on GolfWrx and at least one dude on Twitter that Tiger is in negotiations to purchase TaylorMade from Adidas. As with most Tiger rumors lately, probably not much truth to it.

Jason Day switching to Nike move kinda jives with this....

Also, would be LOL funny if Tiger comes "back" and wins a tournament because someone in his stable misses a putt or blows up on the 72nd.

Rose, Dustin, Day, Sergio.....

Tiger has always been an equipment geek - it's pretty much a lock that he'll follow Jack/Palmer/Hogan and have his own golf club line.

Not sure how much sense it makes to buy TM though. I'd expect a PXG clone out of Tiger, not a massive club manufacturer with dozens of models to keep going.

Tiger has always been an equipment geek - it's pretty much a lock that he'll follow Jack/Palmer/Hogan and have his own golf club line.

Not sure how much sense it makes to buy TM though. I'd expect a PXG clone out of Tiger, not a massive club manufacturer with dozens of models to keep going.

Could be hes just buying in for the R&D and manufacturing side to launch his own line of players clubs.

The margins on golf club manufacturing are really small. Not sure this is a good idea no matter who is buying it.

Oh it's a horrible idea financially. But there's some karmic justice here - golf exploded during Tiger's rise and he got absurdly rich, and his abrupt exit and the following downturn of the sport might be eased a bit if he invests in some losers for a while while things renormalize.

I wouldn't mind seeing him invest in failing golf courses as well, maybe through the First Tee like Trevino has talked about.

I read somewhere that he is going to do a free redesign of s course in southside Chicago.

Back