• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

First playoff hole was epic.

Yeah it was. And that final threesome was comprised of guys who are going to win a lot of tournaments. Of course, Thomas already has. All three are solid players with great swings and short games.

First playoff hole was epic.

I've watched more golf in the past few weeks. The putts on the first playoff hole rank as the best two consecutive money plays I recall in all of sports. Thrill of victory, agony of defeat, then keep playing.

Not sure I can think of many tournaments with those kinds of swings in the final group. JT starts up a couple and immediately makes 2 bogeys while Collin and Viktor go to -7 combined in the first 5 holes. Back 9 sees JT goes -5 in a 6 hole stretch with an eagle that looked to have clinched it. Then he trips up the way in and the fireworks really got going. Pretty awesome.

Seemed to me like Justin fell in love with his 3 wood and couldn't get away from it. He'd been crushing driver but got in a lot of trouble laying back while Collin just smoked driver over and over on 18.

Morikawa almost missed his 2’ par putt on 18 to send it the playoff. After missing that short putt a few weeks back at Colonial in the playoff, that may have ruined him forever on pressure putts had he missed again.

Yeah it was. And that final threesome was comprised of guys who are going to win a lot of tournaments. Of course, Thomas already has. All three are solid players with great swings and short games.

Agree on all, except Hovland can't chip and Morikawa is a statistically awful putter. If he becomes even average, he's a top 5 player in the world. So pure.

Not sure I can think of many tournaments with those kinds of swings in the final group. JT starts up a couple and immediately makes 2 bogeys while Collin and Viktor go to -7 combined in the first 5 holes. Back 9 sees JT goes -5 in a 6 hole stretch with an eagle that looked to have clinched it. Then he trips up the way in and the fireworks really got going. Pretty awesome.

Seemed to me like Justin fell in love with his 3 wood and couldn't get away from it. He'd been crushing driver but got in a lot of trouble laying back while Collin just smoked driver over and over on 18.

It seems like Thomas doesn't like to hit a cut with his driver, especially under pressure.

Agree on all, except Hovland can't chip and Morikawa is a statistically awful putter. If he becomes even average, he's a top 5 player in the world. So pure.

As to Hovland's chipping, that seems like something that stays with you for your career too. I can't think of any bad chippers off the top of my head who later seriously improved in that department. Whereas for folks like Westwood, Mahan, Kaymer and Brittany Lincicome, that has plagued them throughout their careers.

I think it's cool how often Morikawa and Wolff have contended this early in their careers. They seem to be decent guys as well.

Tiger had that 1-2 year period where he had the chip yips, though. I thought that would plague him for the rest of his career, but not so much.

Tiger had that 1-2 year period where he had the chip yips, though. I thought that would plague him for the rest of his career, but not so much.

Tiger has been 1 of the best chippers the game has seen for most of his career. He had that short chip yip phase at a time when he was trying to come back without having practiced much. Shows you what can happen when the greats don't put in the practice time. Vijay also had a chip yip phase where he was chipping cross handed, though I doubt I'd blame that phase on a lack or practice time from Vijay.

PGA has now announced no fans for the remainder of the season (the 2019-2020 season ends in September).

The ratings for PGA events have been killing it since the tour returned. Nice to be the only game in town.

PGA has now announced no fans for the remainder of the season (the 2019-2020 season ends in September).

The ratings for PGA events have been killing it since the tour returned. Nice to be the only game in town.

I know I've been watching a lot more golf now than pre-COVID, when I'd normally tune in for the majors and some of the bigger events (like the Memorial this week) but I probably would have passed on stuff like Detroit.

Tiger overcoming the chip yips is one of the most impressive things he has done in his career. The chip yips are typically harder to cover up than putting yips and harder to fix than driver yips. Chip yips is usually game over. For Tiger to win the Masters after having the chip yips blows my mind.

Jack Nicklaus' greatest advantage was his power and length. Same mostly true for Palmer. There have always been exceptions of great, accurate grinding players (Gary Player fits that mold) but the short hitters have rarely been "the greats" at golf. It has always happened occasionally, and the short hitters have a better record in the majors these days than in general tour events, and that has always also been true. There are some tracks where distance is a necessity, but even then, it is typically 130-yards-and-in that dictates who wins.

Nothing to see here on the distance front, other than a very unique golfer (DeChambeau) experimenting in several ways. He is clearly the most fascinating golfer out there right now, and if he keeps winning, he will be a ratings magnet for sure. The fact that he has a fairly snarky attitude will just make him drive ratings more. That and COVID are combining to really prop up golf ratings for now. College football is unlikely, so the move to majors in the fall is going to be a windfall to golf as well.

As to Hovland's chipping, that seems like something that stays with you for your career too. I can't think of any bad chippers off the top of my head who later seriously improved in that department. Whereas for folks like Westwood, Mahan, Kaymer and Brittany Lincicome, that has plagued them throughout their careers.

I think it's cool how often Morikawa and Wolff have contended this early in their careers. They seem to be decent guys as well.

Hovland is such a stud. His ball striking is next level. I actually think his scrambling stats are so bad because he can't putt. I followed him closely of late and it's his putting inside 15 feet that is holding him back.

Hovland is such a stud. His ball striking is next level. I actually think his scrambling stats are so bad because he can't putt. I followed him closely of late and it's his putting inside 15 feet that is holding him back.

I haven't followed Hovland as much as I have Wolff and Morikawa. So you're saying he's the new Charl Schwartzel as opposed to the new Hunter Mahan.

Interesting how many former great golfers completely lost their short games as they got older. Thinking specifically of Faldo, Johnny Miller, Ben Hogan, even Nicklaus to an extent. I guess the old nerves typically affect the finesse part of the game more than the declining physical strength affects the long game.

Mahan was #4 in the world in 2012. He has top 10s in each of the majors, and has won 2 WGC events. He is 38 now

This is a summary of his current struggles:

Mahan began struggling with his golf game as of the 2015–16 PGA Tour season, during the next four years, Mahan finished 183rd, 130th, 159th and 184th in the season-long FedEx Cup rankings and had to compete in the Korn Ferry Tour Finals on multiple occasions to try to keep his full tour card.[10] Between 2015–16 and 2018–19, Mahan had only one top-10 finish on the PGA Tour and 52 missed cuts. As of November 2019, Mahan had fallen to 608th in the Official World Golf Ranking.

Hope they allow fans by November. Looking forward to the Georgia golf loop that month with the Masters (11/12-15) and then the RSM at Sea Island (11/21-24).

Back