• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Pretty great weekend out at Quail. Was hot, but better than sloppy rain. Crowd was great, really big on Saturday especially. Could have used some more drink buying stations around the course but other than that no real complaints. Has JT clinched player of the year?

No, JT hasn't clinched player of the year but he is close. If Spieth or DJ wins the FedEx cup and wins a couple times during it, then I think they would win POY. But those are the 3 guys in it IMO.

Yeah seemed like there were many more concessions/hydration stations on the front. Back has so much less shade as well so it's even more of an issue.

With the changes, I'd say Quail proved to be a damned difficult major venue. Was rooting more for Hideki, Kisner and Louis, but cool for Thomas to get his 1st major- he's been great the last couple of seasons, and he was money on the back 9 yesterday.

With the changes, I'd say Quail proved to be a damned difficult major venue. Was rooting more for Hideki, Kisner and Louis, but cool for Thomas to get his 1st major- he's been great the last couple of seasons, and he was money on the back 9 yesterday.

I think it was pretty difficult as well. The back 9 especially seems to give people fits and it seemed all week some players just got frustrated and hit some shots that were out of character (Jday on 18 for example). Hopefully it went well enough to get the PGA again or potentially a Ryder Cup.

I think it was pretty difficult as well. The back 9 especially seems to give people fits and it seemed all week some players just got frustrated and hit some shots that were out of character (Jday on 18 for example). Hopefully it went well enough to get the PGA again or potentially a Ryder Cup.

I thought there were a couple of spots that were almost too difficult. The redone par 3 on the front was extremely difficult to get on the green, and I didn't like the par 4 on the back with the false right side. You already have bermuda rough, which is always inconsistent and more difficult to hit out of. No need to trick it up any more. And it was that difficult and it had 2 short, hitable par 4s.

As for Day, that was a Phil move from 15-20 years ago. If he had been 2 yards to the right, next to the cart path, he could have pulled that off. But not where he was. I can't believe his caddie didn't break 1 of his clubs over Day's head for even thinking about going right. Doesn't Colin have more sway over him than that?!?

Seemed like a lot of complaints from the players about certain changes though (apparently a lot of dislike for the new par 3 4th hole) so hopefully it doesn't turn players away from coming back when it returns to being the Wells Fargo for the next couple of years. Also wonder what the effect of the movements of the Players and the PGA Championship on the calendar might be as far as the Wells Fargo. Currently only contracted for two more years through 2019 also.

I thought there were a couple of spots that were almost too difficult. The redone par 3 on the front was extremely difficult to get on the green, and I didn't like the par 4 on the back with the false right side. You already have bermuda rough, which is always inconsistent and more difficult to hit out of. No need to trick it up any more. And it was that difficult and it had 2 short, hitable par 4s.

As for Day, that was a Phil move from 15-20 years ago. If he had been 2 yards to the right, next to the cart path, he could have pulled that off. But not where he was. I can't believe his caddie didn't break 1 of his clubs over Day's head for even thinking about going right. Doesn't Colin have more sway over him than that?!?

Even Phil said, "wtf J-Day!!!!"

the members that I have talked to seem fine if they don't have any regular tour stops....they now have their major under their belt (with another to come from what the PGA said this week), and a presidents cup in a couple of years. They're happy, and no tour stop means they get their course back to play full time.

the members that I have talked to seem fine if they don't have any regular tour stops....they now have their major under their belt (with another to come from what the PGA said this week), and a presidents cup in a couple of years. They're happy, and no tour stop means they get their course back to play full time.

That's great for the members, but as a fan of guys who are actually good at golf I enjoy going to the course each year as part of the tour and would be disappointed if it changes to being used as a one every 5-6 year (at best) event course. I'm sure a major is different, but how much beyond one week does the regular tour stop inconvenience the members annually?

The course was tough and the soft fairways added to the difficulty. But majors ought to be played on tough courses that are set up to reward excellent shots, to result in pars for mediocre shots and to penalize poor or inaccurate shots. Quail Hollow did those things better than almost any major course in recent memory.

I think the players are a bit spoiled by playing on courses that permit mediocre play to result in sub-par scores.

BTW, JT's shot on 17 was one of the more courageous shots of this season. That is the kind of golf that ought to be rewarded with wins at a major.

I suspect the Chamber of Commerce will pressure the members a bit on that. How many millions did the PGA pump into the local economy? And, the course will make the Wells Fargo even more attractive than before and it was already a prime event.

Is the Wells Fargo going back to Eagle Point?

The course was tough and the soft fairways added to the difficulty. But majors ought to be played on tough courses that are set up to reward excellent shots, to result in pars for mediocre shots and to penalize poor or inaccurate shots. Quail Hollow did those things better than almost any major course in recent memory.

I think the players are a bit spoiled by playing on courses that permit mediocre play to result in sub-par scores.

BTW, JT's shot on 17 was one of the more courageous shots of this season. That is the kind of golf that ought to be rewarded with wins at a major.

Courageous, stupid or pulled? Or some combination? You don't go for that pin with a lead. That said, it was all over but for the crying after that shot.

As for Quail as a regular stop, I wouldn't mind losing it if that Wilmington course replaces it. That was 1 gorgeous and stunning course.

No, JT hasn't clinched player of the year but he is close. If Spieth or DJ wins the FedEx cup and wins a couple times during it, then I think they would win POY. But those are the 3 guys in it IMO.

I don't think DJ is in the discussion at all. Majors matter.

And I don't think Spieth needs to win more than once to even the odds with Thomas. Both have a major, and 2 wins in regular events this year. JT has a win in the 32 player Tournament of Champions as well. I'd call it a wash right now with JT getting a late bump because his big win is more recent.

Courageous, stupid or pulled? Or some combination? You don't go for that pin with a lead. That said, it was all over but for the crying after that shot.

As for Quail as a regular stop, I wouldn't mind losing it if that Wilmington course replaces it. That was 1 gorgeous and stunning course.

That had to be pulled, and overdrawn a bit. His miss under pressure is left. No way was he deliberately taking on that pin.

That's great for the members, but as a fan of guys who are actually good at golf I enjoy going to the course each year as part of the tour and would be disappointed if it changes to being used as a one every 5-6 year (at best) event course. I'm sure a major is different, but how much beyond one week does the regular tour stop inconvenience the members annually?

Between preparation, the tournament itself, and post event clean up, it's not unusual for the host course to be closed for member play for a month.

Between preparation, the tournament itself, and post event clean up, it's not unusual for the host course to be closed for member play for a month.

I read somewhere recently that Sedgefield closes for 2 weeks for the Wyndham and that members still have to pay for tickets to the tournament. Could be #fakenews.

Back