• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

DJ is in another league athletically. If he can get his short game in championship shape, he could have an epic season.

DJ is in another league athletically. If he can get his short game in championship shape, he could have an epic season.

It is in shape. If he hadn't fallen down steps in Augusta, he probably would have been player of the year instead of JT. I'm not a big DJ fan or anything, but his A game is better than anyone else's at this point. Speaking of golfers getting healthy, I really want to see a healthy McIlroy and Day this year.

It is in shape. If he hadn't fallen down steps in Augusta, he probably would have been player of the year instead of JT. I'm not a big DJ fan or anything, but his A game is better than anyone else's at this point. Speaking of golfers getting healthy, I really want to see a healthy McIlroy and Day this year.

Good tournament for Webb this week - Sony Open in Hawaii.
His last 2 rounds were 63 and 65 (with a 30 on the back nine) to finish tied for 4th.
Nice to see such a strong finish.

Apparently there was a strike by TGC cameramen yesterday. Which explains the strange coverage last night which I turned to after the UVA and Vikings games. The camera coverage was poor, and there seemed to be fewer commentators. Not a great ending as the leaders were backing up to Hahn, and Kizzire outlasted him in a playoff.

And some English dude named Paisley with his wife on the bag outlasted Grace in RSA yesterday a.m.

Coverage was awful - I wonder if some of the normal commentators also decided not to work to support the strike. It sounded like the commentary was being done remotely. No on course commentary.

Hope they get it resolved before the event this week.

Tommy Fleetwood just beat a strong field in Abu Dhabi. Of the promising Euros, Rahm gets the most press, but Fleetwood is their returning POY and to me is the most likely of their young bunch to win his 1st major this year. Seems to be a down to earth kind of guy too. Rory, DJ and Pieters had strong weeks. Nice to see Rory in form for the 1st time in quite a while.

Me thinks Fleetwood is going to be a problem in France come September. Wish a few of the other guys had played better down the stretch at Abu Dhabi but either way still a great tourney. I predict Rory will be back with a vengence this season...

Tommy Fleetwood just beat a strong field in Abu Dhabi. Of the promising Euros, Rahm gets the most press, but Fleetwood is their returning POY and to me is the most likely of their young bunch to win his 1st major this year. Seems to be a down to earth kind of guy too. Rory, DJ and Pieters had strong weeks. Nice to see Rory in form for the 1st time in quite a while.

Yeah, if the Euros stay in top form, this could be a Ryder Cup for the ages. In form Rory, Fleekwood, Garcia, Casey, Stenson, Pieters, Rahm, Fisher, Rose, RCB. That team would be TOUGH.

Sam Saunders with an 8 under round today at the Stadium Course. Easier to do when you’re out of it on Sunday and no pressure, but still, great round on that golf course. Would love to see him win this year.

Sam Saunders with an 8 under round today at the Stadium Course. Easier to do when you’re out of it on Sunday and no pressure, but still, great round on that golf course. Would love to see him win this year.

+1

Yeah, if the Euros stay in top form, this could be a Ryder Cup for the ages. In form Rory, Fleekwood, Garcia, Casey, Stenson, Pieters, Rahm, Fisher, Rose, RCB. That team would be TOUGH.

I don't think Fisher belongs in that otherwise elite group. He's been around for a while now and has never wowed. I'd take Noren over him, probably Hatton and Fitzpatrick too, especially given Fitzpatrick's age. I'll throw out 3 other names who I find more interesting than Fisher - Kaymer, Lowry and Beef. Kaymer has won 2 majors, and Lowry has contended in at least 1 major (Oakmont), but both also have the tendency to disappear for many months at a time. And they were saying on yesterday morning's broadcast that Beef feels like he lived it up a bit too much last year and is going to be more serious about putting the time into golf this year. If he does, I like his potential based on the way he burst onto the scene 2 years ago. Kinda hope he does have a good year because he is a good personality. And watch someone like Molinari to go ahead and qualify based on Euro points.

One of the things we always thought we had on the Euros was better depth. Not this year. Especially with Reed not in form, Koepka on the shelf for at least another 3 months and Walker coming off a horrible year because of Lyme's Disease. I don't really trust our team past the top 6-7 guys on the current list. Two younger guys I'd like to see qualify are Berger and Schauffele. I think both have more potential than most of the guys ahead of them on the list. And let's hope Reed, Koepka and Walker get back in form by the Summer.

I don't think Fisher belongs in that otherwise elite group. He's been around for a while now and has never wowed. I'd take Noren over him, probably Hatton and Fitzpatrick too, especially given Fitzpatrick's age. I'll throw out 3 other names who I find more interesting than Fisher - Kaymer, Lowry and Beef. Kaymer has won 2 majors, and Lowry has contended in at least 1 major (Oakmont), but both also have the tendency to disappear for many months at a time. And they were saying on yesterday morning's broadcast that Beef feels like he lived it up a bit too much last year and is going to be more serious about putting the time into golf this year. If he does, I like his potential based on the way he burst onto the scene 2 years ago. Kinda hope he does have a good year because he is a good personality. And watch someone like Molinari to go ahead and qualify based on Euro points.

One of the things we always thought we had on the Euros was better depth. Not this year. Especially with Reed not in form, Koepka on the shelf for at least another 3 months and Walker coming off a horrible year because of Lyme's Disease. I don't really trust our team past the top 6-7 guys on the current list. Two younger guys I'd like to see qualify are Berger and Schauffele. I think both have more potential than most of the guys ahead of them on the list. And let's hope Reed, Koepka and Walker get back in form by the Summer.

Gotta disagree about not trusting anyone on the US outside the top 6-7. I’m sure I have more confidence in some of these guys than others but a team like this would be stacked:

Spieth
JT
DJ
Rickie
Berger
Kisner
Harmen
Chappell
Reed
Cantlay

And that’s not even bringing in the old guys like Phil, Tiger, Kuch, etc. these young dudes are ready to roll. This Ryder Cup is going to be awesome.

Of the golfers currently qualifying for the RC team, I trust Spieth, JT, DJ, Rickie, Kucher and Koepka - and Koepka is hurt. Reed is currently on the edge, though if he's in good form this Summer, I certainly trust him. I like and trust Kisner and Berger, but right now they'd have to be captain's picks (Kisner is 15 and Berger 22). I can't say I trust Chappell, and Cantlay is way down the list. And though Phil played 1 of the great all-time RC matches a couple of years ago, he didn't exactly have a great year last year. And it'd be great to have a healthy Tiger in form, but let's see how he's playing and if he can stay healthy. If you're taking a snapshot of right now, you'd have to favor the Euros, especially with Rahm, Sergio and Fleetwood winning last week. But that can and probably will change over the next 8 months.

Euros look better than what was expected after last year but I'd still have to favor the Americans. Koepka will get healthy and kuchar is still top 15 in the world, hell pat perez is right behind him. Then you got the big dogs spieth, jt, rickie, dj, and yes patrick reed is an absolute ryder cup big dog. Get even just a few of the cantlay, berger, perez, chappel, hoffman, harman types playing good and god forbid tiger or phil gets hot then you have an absolute force to be reckoned with.

Cantlay is going to be a top 20 player in the world by the time the ryder cup roles around. You guys should hop on board.

Cantlay is going to be a top 20 player in the world by the time the ryder cup roles around. You guys should hop on board.

Given that he is 35th with only 15 events counting, yet the OWGR uses a divisor of 40 he pretty much just needs a few high finishes in his next 25 events to crack the top 20. He could miss 25 straight cuts and still be around 35th in the world.

Given that he is 35th with only 15 events counting, yet the OWGR uses a divisor of 40 he pretty much just needs a few high finishes in his next 25 events to crack the top 20. He could miss 25 straight cuts and still be around 35th in the world.

Exactly. He made 14 of 14 cuts last year and had 9 top 20s. If you think that Cantlay isn't going to be a stud on this ryder cup team you are missing the boat. He's got a great match play record as an am and as long as he's healthy, is an absolute stud.

Back