• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Zalatoris won a qualifying spot in the columbus sectional event. Tons of pros in it, like Keegan and Adam scott as mentioned before.

On a pseudo-related note, two time PGA tour winner this year Patton Kizzire isn't qualified. What does it take to qualify? Something about that stinks

Hmm, I thought at one point if you had won twice in the last calendar year, you were exempt into the US Open....guess they did away with that exemption recently.

they give an exemption to an amateur guy who wins a qualifying tournament but not a guy who wins a tournament against PGA pros?

Top 60 in world rankings are exempt, but several other exemptions apply (10 year exemption for winning US Open, etc). Adam Scott and Keegan Bradley were non-exempt, sectional qualifiers

I guess it just seems hard to imagine two wins on the PGA tour wouldn't have a guy in the top 60. Oh well. Strange

On a pseudo-related note, two time PGA tour winner this year Patton Kizzire isn't qualified. What does it take to qualify? Something about that stinks

Kizzire’s two wins will effectively get him in next year. The entire Tour Championship field is exempt and with two wins, he should easily make the top 30. He’s seventh now.

Each player gets 40 seconds to hit unless they are playing first then they get 50 seconds. Then they can call only 2 time extensions per round. One shot penalty if they take too long. So far only 1 guy has been penalized, he claimed to not have heard the time countdown warning I guess.

The first 2 rounds have taken players about 20-25 minutes less than without the clock.

Each player gets 40 seconds to hit unless they are playing first then they get 50 seconds. Then they can call only 2 time extensions per round. One shot penalty if they take too long. So far only 1 guy has been penalized, he claimed to not have heard the time countdown warning I guess.

So.....will this get to the PGA anytime soon?

Pretty forgettable weekend of golf with the PGA, Euros and LPGA playing forgettable events. Only real news was the shot clock and DJ lapping the field and topping it off with a hole out. Which again begs the question as to why the LPGA didn't schedule the US Open for this past weekend to go up against the St Jude as opposed to the Memorial.

Can't wait for Shinnecock. I just hope that if it's not windy, the USGA doesn't panic and murder the greens like they did the last time. If you're playing a seaside course like Shinnecock or Pebble, and the winds lie down, just let the scores be low like the RNA does with the Open and don't be tempted to trick it up. I don't think Mike Davis was in his current position the last time they had the Open here. Was he installed in his position as a response to the unplayable greens the last time?

So.....will this get to the PGA anytime soon?

Euro Tour has so much more room to try things like this without a second thought. Also think the big players on the PGA would skip the event if it happened soon, pissing off a sponsor which they can't afford to do right now.

If Jimmy Walker didn't engage with backstopping this week, it may have gotten more traction in the media though....

Pretty forgettable weekend of golf with the PGA, Euros and LPGA playing forgettable events. Only real news was the shot clock and DJ lapping the field and topping it off with a hole out. Which again begs the question as to why the LPGA didn't schedule the US Open for this past weekend to go up against the St Jude as opposed to the Memorial.

Can't wait for Shinnecock. I just hope that if it's not windy, the USGA doesn't panic and murder the greens like they did the last time. If you're playing a seaside course like Shinnecock or Pebble, and the winds lie down, just let the scores be low like the RNA does with the Open and don't be tempted to trick it up. I don't think Mike Davis was in his current position the last time they had the Open here. Was he installed in his position as a response to the unplayable greens the last time?

I'd guess because most of their championship staff was probably already on site at Shinnecock this past weekend. I don't believe the US Women's Open has ever been held in back-to-back weeks with the men's Open, other than the one year they played them back-to-back at the same site on Pinehurst #2.

Euro Tour has so much more room to try things like this without a second thought. Also think the big players on the PGA would skip the event if it happened soon, pissing off a sponsor which they can't afford to do right now.

If Jimmy Walker didn't engage with backstopping this week, it may have gotten more traction in the media though....

What's the take on backstopping around here? Seems to be against the spirit of the rules to me.

Back