• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

This was amusing. Had completely forgotten Never Compromise putters. Guess they compromised when they sold out to Cleveland and ceased to exist.

They should've have him try to make a 6 with a full set of clubs using a plastic wiffle practice ball too.

If you aren’t a star with a private jet deal, getting from The Greenbrier to Moline for the John Deere is one of the biggest challenges of the year.

If you aren’t a star with a private jet deal, getting from The Greenbrier to Moline for the John Deere is one of the biggest challenges of the year.

Wonder if either tournament helps with charter flights? I know the John Deere still sets one up to take players from Silvis, IL to the British following the tournament. It's only something like a $1250 charitable donation for the players and their families. In the past, they've chartered a 767 with like 100 first class seats, too. Pretty sweet.

Oh, and it will fly them back to the Canadian the following week, too.

Perfect time to take a week off.

For the big name players, sure. But for the lesser known, lower Fed-Ex cup ranked guys, it's a huge chance to boost their standing or even get a win. Plus, I think it gets voted the #1 stop on tour, or close to it, every year in terms of hospitality.

Scottish Open is on Golf Channel this am. Fowler has a very nice opening round. Westwood and Reed right there as well. Course is playing very easy due to lack of rain and wind. Guys are going low.

PGA Tour 2018 Thread

I know Charlotte used to be - feel like they've cut down on some of the perks once Wachovia went away.

Anyways, my statement was hyperbole, it appears. But the the Deere did win PGA Tournament of the year in 2016. Have heard lots of great things about it from the players who make the trip.

https://johndeereclassic.com/media/news/john-deere-classic-wins-tournament-of-the-year

Made my first trip up to Moline this year and played in the Pro Am. They do an incredible job. Tournament officials are constantly approaching and asking for feedback/thanking/welcoming the players for the pro am and the corporate JD guys get up and close with the participants. Played with Danny Lee on the front and Ricky Barnes on the back. They do a split pro format which is brilliant because it allows the foursome to spend time with two different guys and limits the pro to just 9 holes if the group they get is full of idiots or complete hackers.

Course is absolutely beautiful. I was talking to one of the tournament VPs inbetween holes and asked him if they would ever they a chance to move weeks, and I think he said that opportunity was coming up in a few years. If they are able to move weeks the JD Classic should really grow. They are raising around 13 million a year right now for charity and they are doing it with the mid level players for the most part.

Can’t imagine how much money they would raise with a full field.

Made my first trip up to Moline this year and played in the Pro Am. They do an incredible job. Tournament officials are constantly approaching and asking for feedback/thanking/welcoming the players for the pro am and the corporate JD guys get up and close with the participants. Played with Danny Lee on the front and Ricky Barnes on the back. They do a split pro format which is brilliant because it allows the foursome to spend time with two different guys and limits the pro to just 9 holes if the group they get is full of idiots or complete hackers.

Course is absolutely beautiful. I was talking to one of the tournament VPs inbetween holes and asked him if they would ever they a chance to move weeks, and I think he said that opportunity was coming up in a few years. If they are able to move weeks the JD Classic should really grow. They are raising around 13 million a year right now for charity and they are doing it with the mid level players for the most part.

Can’t imagine how much money they would raise with a full field.

I've heard that about the JD. That said, it's not played on an overly interesting course, and it's going up against the Scottish, which is one of the Euro's Rolex events. I'm surprised they get as good a field as they do. The June and July PGA events outside of the Open and US Open tend to be some of the weaker events they play, and they're going up against some of the best Euro events in Paris, Ireland and Scotland.

Yeah, JD is in a tough date slot. But the course is perfectly set up for viewing and is an interesting lay out. It is missing a real signature hole in my opinion but there are a wide variety of decisions t make along the way that make it interesting. I don’t really think they could make it extremely difficult (and don’t think JD would want to. But the rough was really thick and if made any thicker would supremely reward accurate shots.

Yeah, JD is in a tough date slot. But the course is perfectly set up for viewing and is an interesting lay out. It is missing a real signature hole in my opinion but there are a wide variety of decisions t make along the way that make it interesting. I don’t really think they could make it extremely difficult (and don’t think JD would want to. But the rough was really thick and if made any thicker would supremely reward accurate shots.

I love links golf. I'll watch a lot more of the Irish and Scottish than their American counterparts. And if I were a PGA player, I'd plan my mid-summer schedule around the Irish, Scottish and the Open. And while I hear what you're saying, to me, the Quad Cities, St Jude, Connecticut and Greenbrier courses are nothing to write home about. Avenel was the worst of the bunch before the redo but is now probably the strongest.

I love links golf. I'll watch a lot more of the Irish and Scottish than their American counterparts. And if I were a PGA player, I'd plan my mid-summer schedule around the Irish, Scottish and the Open. And while I hear what you're saying, to me, the Quad Cities, St Jude, Connecticut and Greenbrier courses are nothing to write home about. Avenel was the worst of the bunch before the redo but is now probably the strongest.

And after this year, Avenel is out of the rotation because Quicken Loans is moving the tournament to Detroit.

So some South African named Stone wins the Scottish with a 60 today after barely missing a 10' birdie on 18. The leaderboard was pretty much Rose and a bunch of folks you don't know. The Scottish courses are baked out. The announcers said that golfers practicing on Carnoustie are driving it into the 2nd bern on 18 (the 1 van de Velde was in in 3). It's going to be a much different Carnoustie than 1998 or when Harrington outlasted Sergio.

So some South African named Stone wins the Scottish with a 60 today after barely missing a 10' birdie on 18. The leaderboard was pretty much Rose and a bunch of folks you don't know. The Scottish courses are baked out. The announcers said that golfers practicing on Carnoustie are driving it into the 2nd bern on 18 (the 1 van de Velde was in in 3). It's going to be a much different Carnoustie than 1998 or when Harrington outlasted Sergio.

I played Carnoustie a little over 2 weeks ago and it played LOL short without wind. Still very difficult to hold the greens. Really hoping the wind blows.

It sounds like we can expect Carnoustie to play shorter than it has recently - certainly shorter than 1999?

You don’t know Rickie Fowler and Thomas Pieters?

Back