• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Realize that he has been a non-factor after the tragic car accident in California a couple of years ago, but Bill Haas torpedoed his round today at Pebble with the following two holes:

Haas started on 10:

- Double bogey seven (7) on 18 after hitting his second shot (from the fairway) into water.
- Hits his second shot on the Par 4 first hole to 3 feet 5 inches from the cup and then... somehow three putting from 3 feet for a bogey (hard to do even if you suck).

I agree the cat’s kind of out of the bag. I think the governing bodies should do two things: 1) do all they can to keep the status quo, if not roll things back a little bit, and 2) realize that they’re allowed to grow rough at tour events. Right now, there’s virtually no penalty for a missed fairway. Change that up, and you’ll see the tournaments transition from glorified long drive contests.

This makes sense. Miss a fairway or miss a green and the difficulty of the next shot should increase dramatically.

I agree the cat’s kind of out of the bag. I think the governing bodies should do two things: 1) do all they can to keep the status quo, if not roll things back a little bit, and 2) realize that they’re allowed to grow rough at tour events. Right now, there’s virtually no penalty for a missed fairway. Change that up, and you’ll see the tournaments transition from glorified long drive contests.

I agree. Also narrow the fairways more the farther out you go. Want to bomb it 320? Great. Just know that the fairway is a lot tighter at 320 than it is at 280.

This introduces a bigger problem though. Part of why the Waste Management at TPC Scottsdale is such a fun tournament isn't just the stadium hole. It's the drivable par 4, reachable par 5, mid length par 4 finisher. You could punish the big hitters by lining 17 with OB stakes, adding 50 yards to 15, narrowing fairways so nobody can hit them at 300 yards... Now you've got a boring tournament with layups galore that's just another putting contest, designed to punish the longer players when fans absolutely want to see players hitting drivers.

I saw Jason Day hit a 2 iron yesterday that carried 230 but then rolled another 70 yards to give him a flip wedge left on a 410 yard par 4. Sand traps are absolutely immaculate - to the point that players prefer them to the rough at times. And as plenty of people have mentioned they only grow rough for majors.

Slow the fairways down, furrow all the bunkers, let the rough be rough and forget about trying to make it all a uniform length. Those things are infinitely easier than trying to walk back 20 years of technological tweaks, plus they affect all players equally instead of targeting the long hitters.

Realize that he has been a non-factor after the tragic car accident in California a couple of years ago, but Bill Haas torpedoed his round today at Pebble with the following two holes:

Haas started on 10:

- Double bogey seven (7) on 18 after hitting his second shot (from the fairway) into water.
- Hits his second shot on the Par 4 first hole to 3 feet 5 inches from the cup and then... somehow three putting from 3 feet for a bogey (hard to do even if you suck).

Holy shit that’s bad.

Davis Love is invisible in CBS golf broadcasts. Every now and then Nance or Faldo will bring him in and it’s like oh yeah, Davis Love is on the course, too. Can’t believe CBS thought Love would be better than McCord.

After watching what happened at Bethpage last year, I'm vonvinced that longer rough and tighter fairways just benefit longer hitters even more.

Zalatoris t4 4 shots behind leader after shooting 63 today in third round on korn ferry tour.

After watching what happened at Bethpage last year, I'm vonvinced that longer rough and tighter fairways just benefit longer hitters even more.

Absolutely it does! Guys like Kisner and Webb have talked about not even bothering to play some courses where they know they have 0 chance before the tourney begins.

They should make courses shorter, not longer, with less rough so more of the field can win showing a full skill set. Nick Price talked about this years ago with Tiger Proofing - they created the opposite result of what they intended. But at least they have recognized it now with the distance report, which was not the case for years.

Royal Melbourne was an awesome example where shotmaking was still valued, and why Tiger was so good there. His real talent shines because his creativity and ability to move the ball is way ahead of basically anyone else. And that kind of golf is WAY more fun to watch.

A higher spin ball is probably most (all?) that is needed equipment wise to preserve & improve the future interests of the game. It's not that big a deal, it could be done tomorrow and everyone would whine for like a month then it would just go on. The AMs are going to see almost no difference because they don't swing hard enough to get that most resounding technology benefits, anyways.

Saying a particular course or course set up favors a longer hitter is like saying it favors a better putter. Longer hitters are always going to have an advantage, as well they should.

If I can drive the ball 340 yards and straight that is a valuable skill and I should be rewarded over someone who drives it 300 yards and straight.

What I don’t like is rewarding people who can drive it 340 yards, but have no idea where it’s going.

I agree. Also narrow the fairways more the farther out you go. Want to bomb it 320? Great. Just know that the fairway is a lot tighter at 320 than it is at 280.

Bernie Sanders for PGA Commissioner! 🙄

Nick and Ian are fine. Nance is almost as bad to listen to as Buck !

Nick is the worst. He just says moronic things. I really can’t see how anyone likes him. The foreign accent announcer bump still doesn’t raise him to watchable quality.

IBF is fine. Not a fan of Nance and Faldo. Faldo may be the most smug human on earth. Not sure why Love is even doing this. And why did they get rid of McCord and Kostis? McCord was their most entertaining guy and Kostis their most informative guy.

Back