• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Wolff somehow just shanked a 3 wood?

That is a horrible feeling. Years ago, one of the assistant pros at my club had a relationship with Bridgestone. They have a pretty cool testing facility in Conyers, GA, about an hour form where I live. They needed players in certain handicap ranges to test two prototype balls. At one point, they wanted us to hit six-irons with some guy out on the range with a walkie-talkie calling in the yardage and number of yards off line.

After a few shots, I started shanking the ball and could not stop. It was so embarrassing. I was a six handicap and could not stop shanking those six irons.

Lol, they were almost ejaculating over Brysons 192 mph ball speed on his drive on 9 and Wolff just piped one by him by 15 to 20 yards.

That is a horrible feeling. Years ago, one of the assistant pros at my club had a relationship with Bridgestone. They have a pretty cool testing facility in Conyers, GA, about an hour form where I live. They needed players in certain handicap ranges to test two prototype balls. At one point, they wanted us to hit six-irons with some guy out on the range with a walkie-talkie calling in the yardage and number of yards off line.

After a few shots, I started shanking the ball and could not stop. It was so embarrassing. I was a six handicap and could not stop shanking those six irons.

I know right. I’m a 5 and I’ve had a few times like that. Fortunately it’s rare as I tend to miss toward the toe side more than the hosel side, but it has happened to me just out of nowhere. Makes you want to crawl in a hole and hide!

Sounds like Bryson could Be toting a 48 inch driver to Augusta. If he goes there and makes it look like Tiger did in 97, it will be a very to see what the governing bodies do about distance.

I have to post my most recent golf outing. I am a former scratch or better player but have not been playing at all, even though I live on a course. I had played twice in 3 years before last weekend. So lots of rust. I played with a good buddy who knows my history as a player well and 2 guys I had never met. On the first tee, as I am about to hit, I overhear my friend explaining my history as a good player but then make excuses for the way I might play since I have barely touched a club in years. 1st hole is a par 5 that is reachable in 2 with my length. I proceed to WHIFF my tee shot. The ball doesn't even fall off the tee. Lol. That has literally never happened to me since I started playing golf at age 5. I could not stop laughing. I then proceed to stripe a long one down the middle and reach the green in 2 and make the putt. Birdie. Lol

The 2nd is a par 4 and I somehow stripe another down the middle and have about 145 yards left. I MAKE that shot for eagle. I am 3 under par through 2 holes WITH A WHIFF. I show zero emotion when I holed out - acted like this is typically the way I play. The guys in my group are talking to themselves.

Didn't play well the rest of the way - as expected. Made 3 doubles and shot 75. But that is maybe the wildest start I have ever had.

Lol, they were almost ejaculating over Brysons 192 mph ball speed on his drive on 9 and Wolff just piped one by him by 15 to 20 yards.

Seriously. You'd think based on the coverage that Bryson led the tournament in driving distance by 30 yards. He was actually 7th behind guys like Rory, Rahm, Wolff, and DJ. He'd hit one 310 and everyone would gush, then Wolff would knock it by him or be within 5 yards of him and it'd barely register. One hole they were like "nobody else can do what he's doing, he's miles past the longest shot here" when he was actually 1 yard longer than Bubba who birdied the hole whereas he didn't.

He was 3rd in shots gained around the green but the announcers always seemed surprised when he'd get up and down.

I have to post my most recent golf outing. I am a former scratch or better player but have not been playing at all, even though I live on a course. I had played twice in 3 years before last weekend. So lots of rust. I played with a good buddy who knows my history as a player well and 2 guys I had never met. On the first tee, as I am about to hit, I overhear my friend explaining my history as a good player but then make excuses for the way I might play since I have barely touched a club in years. 1st hole is a par 5 that is reachable in 2 with my length. I proceed to WHIFF my tee shot. The ball doesn't even fall off the tee. Lol. That has literally never happened to me since I started playing golf at age 5. I could not stop laughing. I then proceed to stripe a long one down the middle and reach the green in 2 and make the putt. Birdie. Lol

The 2nd is a par 4 and I somehow stripe another down the middle and have about 145 yards left. I MAKE that shot for eagle. I am 3 under par through 2 holes WITH A WHIFF. I show zero emotion when I holed out - acted like this is typically the way I play. The guys in my group are talking to themselves.

Didn't play well the rest of the way - as expected. Made 3 doubles and shot 75. But that is maybe the wildest start I have ever had.

Screw you, nobody wants to hear how you've only played 3 times in 2 years, start -3 through 2 holes and put up a 75! Those of us that have to hits balls a couple of times a week at least just maintain a mid-single digit handicap, don't want to hear it!

Just kidding man, that is incredible. Not only the start, but to shoot a 75 hardly playing, that's impressive! Years ago I played 9 one evening at our club with my father in law. I holed my 2nd shot on the opening Par 4 hole and then birdied the next 2, to go -4 through 3 holes. Managed to not gag the final 6 holes, went +1 on those and had a 32 for the 9.

Seriously. You'd think based on the coverage that Bryson led the tournament in driving distance by 30 yards. He was actually 7th behind guys like Rory, Rahm, Wolff, and DJ. He'd hit one 310 and everyone would gush, then Wolff would knock it by him or be within 5 yards of him and it'd barely register. One hole they were like "nobody else can do what he's doing, he's miles past the longest shot here" when he was actually 1 yard longer than Bubba who birdied the hole whereas he didn't.

He was 3rd in shots gained around the green but the announcers always seemed surprised when he'd get up and down.

Yeah, I know they made a big deal out of his 365 yard drive and whispered a quick mention that Bubba's was 364. I mean, yeah I guess the training and weight gain are a little "revolutionary," but a lot of guys drive it a mile with the equipment we have now and it's been a trend to hit as far as possible off the tee because you're better off 350 in the rough than 290 in fairway. That's not really new.

Screw you, nobody wants to hear how you've only played 3 times in 2 years, start -3 through 2 holes and put up a 75! Those of us that have to hits balls a couple of times a week at least just maintain a mid-single digit handicap, don't want to hear it!

Just kidding man, that is incredible. Not only the start, but to shoot a 75 hardly playing, that's impressive! Years ago I played 9 one evening at our club with my father in law. I holed my 2nd shot on the opening Par 4 hole and then birdied the next 2, to go -4 through 3 holes. Managed to not gag the final 6 holes, went +1 on those and had a 32 for the 9.

Enjoyed your story. I WALKED 9 one evening in the early 90's, when the heat subsided, dead of summer, bored, needed to get out of the house, and there was a nice breeze, only like 3-4 people on the course and they were finishing up when I started. Life was simpler then. I played 4-5 times per week that summer.

Was even on 16 (started on 10 and 6 pars heading into 16), and hit a dead-on 7 iron and the shaft snapped, club head followed the ball toward the pin, twisting in the air. About a 7 foot putt. Birdie.

Then on 18 hit a great drive, almost to the lake/pond and pulled out my pitching iron, again hit it right at the flag, another shaft snaps, and twists toward the pin, before crashing to the ground with a thud, right in front of the pond. I heard the second thud, sound felt like it reverberated off the water, the ball sticking tight about 8 feet from the pin. Birdie.

Shot (-2) 33 I believe. No mulligans, no missed gimme putts that I tapped back out and re-putted, it was just 33 freakin' shots, which was rare for me not to at least fudge or pickup a short putt etc.

I got home and my family was like, what did you do to your clubs?...that 7 iron was my favorite club ever.

Still my favorite golf memory.

Really never replicated, as I stopped playing, for the most part, about 6 months later. Will play again regularly one day.

Enjoyed your story. I WALKED 9 one evening in the early 90's, when the heat subsided, dead of summer, bored, needed to get out of the house, and there was a nice breeze, only like 3-4 people on the course and they were finishing up when I started. Life was simpler then. I played 4-5 times per week that summer.

Was even on 16 (started on 10 and 6 pars heading into 16), and hit a dead-on 7 iron and the shaft snapped, club head followed the ball toward the pin, twisting in the air. About a 7 foot putt. Birdie.

Then on 18 hit a great drive, almost to the lake/pond and pulled out my pitching iron, again hit it right at the flag, another shaft snaps, and twists toward the pin, before crashing to the ground with a thud, right in front of the pond. I heard the second thud, sound felt like it reverberated off the water, the ball sticking tight about 8 feet from the pin. Birdie.

Shot (-2) 33 I believe. No mulligans, no missed gimme putts that I tapped back out and re-putted, it was just 33 freakin' shots, which was rare for me not to at least fudge or pickup a short putt etc.

I got home and my family was like, what did you do to your clubs?...that 7 iron was my favorite club ever.

Still my favorite golf memory.

Really never replicated, as I stopped playing, for the most part, about 6 months later. Will play again regularly one day.

That's a cool story. The other really memorable 9 holes I had was years ago my Uncle and I were playing and we like to trash talk each other. Anyway, we played the front 9 and he shot a 39 to my 40 and was really giving it to me pretty hard, especially since he hadn't beat me in a very long time. We played the back 9 and I put a 32 on him and he shot like a 43 or something.

On Thursday I got paired with two randoms. One of them is about to tee off on #1 and suddenly says "wait where are my keys" and goes insane looking for them and we play ahead. He comes running over to catch up with us on the 3rd tee having finally found them - he'd put them in a ziplock bag then forgotten. He legitimately whiffs on his first swing with driver on #3, then clanks one off the toe about 15 yards into a hazard. He tees up another ball high as hell and swings right through it, catching it on the neck. Shaft snaps, head goes flying off into the weeds. Again we play ahead while he trudges through waist-high grass trying to find it. He reappears on #5 tee box after giving up the search. Incredibly he sticks it out and finishes the round, and did so without hitting a single tee shot over 50 yards and losing at least 30 golf balls. I've never seen anything like it. He didn't beat double par on a single hole, all the while telling us he shot a 75 last week and drives greens all the time on par 4's.

On Thursday I got paired with two randoms. One of them is about to tee off on #1 and suddenly says "wait where are my keys" and goes insane looking for them and we play ahead. He comes running over to catch up with us on the 3rd tee having finally found them - he'd put them in a ziplock bag then forgotten. He legitimately whiffs on his first swing with driver on #3, then clanks one off the toe about 15 yards into a hazard. He tees up another ball high as hell and swings right through it, catching it on the neck. Shaft snaps, head goes flying off into the weeds. Again we play ahead while he trudges through waist-high grass trying to find it. He reappears on #5 tee box after giving up the search. Incredibly he sticks it out and finishes the round, and did so without hitting a single tee shot over 50 yards and losing at least 30 golf balls. I've never seen anything like it. He didn't beat double par on a single hole, all the while telling us he shot a 75 last week and drives greens all the time on par 4's.

DCDeac, that is hysterical.

We should keep telling funny golf stories. Some of my favorites come from playing high school golf. I will try to post some shortly.

Dude! I'm not sure how my story could impress anyone when the story centers around a WHIFF with a DRIVER. I mean I drew AIR. But I appreciate you finding a way to look past that.

Sounds like Bryson could Be toting a 48 inch driver to Augusta. If he goes there and makes it look like Tiger did in 97, it will be a very to see what the governing bodies do about distance.

If it takes that to get the Tour to wake up about the golf ball and mandate some changes, then go get 'em Bryson!

DCDeac, that is hysterical.

We should keep telling funny golf stories. Some of my favorites come from playing high school golf. I will try to post some shortly.

Yeah keep these stories coming.

Another one is I was out after dinner, walking (I did that a lot back in the day as I just liked golfing at or near twilight/dusk). Had a can of bug spray in the bag of course, but realized on the first tee, that it had exploded in my bag. Oh well, keep going. Aside that of course that smell NEVER leaves my bag for years.

About 5 holes later, I look down, and both my legs (wearing shorts of course) especially calf, are COVERED completely, blacked out cannot see my pasty skin, covered in bugs. They were not mosquitoes or I would have been toast; not dragon or horseflies or biting flies; more like gnats. Did not bite at all, but I literally used a towel to brush them off.

And left the course after finishing that hole - freaked out. Hundreds of them on my legs.

Never seen it before or since like a quick onslaught all over a limb or body.

I've seen a lot of crazy on a golf course like we all probably have, but the craziest thing I remember that happened to me was an incident at Washington Duke US Open regional qualifier. I pulled my tee ball to the right (lefty). It ended up in a patch of pine needles right behind a big ass tree. I tried to hit a hero shot and when I did I looked everywhere for the ball. Had no clue where it went. After several moments I caught a glimpse of something odd in the crease of my right elbow...It was my damn ball. I guess my adrenaline was racing from fear of the ricochet from the tree to my face which prevented me from feeling the sensation of an object lodged in the crease of my elbow. I took my penalty and thanked god that it didn't end up with a golf ball to the eye. It was bizarre.

Couple years ago, playing a casual round with buddies and come to the 10th hole, a ~510 yard par 5. Crush a drive but way right, looks OB. Hit another one down the middle and expect to play that one. We find the drive in bounds, right under a tree and probably 190 to the hole, I didn't even measure.

Green is a peninsula down a hill and tough to hit in 2, so I just tell my buddy I'm going to hit one down and try to get somewhere short of it. Punch a 4 iron, put the club in my bag, and start driving up to his ball after he laid up. Other playing partner down towards the green chucks his club up in the air and starts yelling. We have no idea why. Turns out, my 4 iron rolled roughly 75 yards directly into the center of the cup for a double eagle.

Have probably had a couple thousand reasonable attempts at double eagle in my life and never even sniffed one, but a hard punch layup attempt ends up doing the trick.

Yeah, I know they made a big deal out of his 365 yard drive and whispered a quick mention that Bubba's was 364. I mean, yeah I guess the training and weight gain are a little "revolutionary," but a lot of guys drive it a mile with the equipment we have now and it's been a trend to hit as far as possible off the tee because you're better off 350 in the rough than 290 in fairway. That's not really new.

This.

Brooks Koepka wins the US Open, finishes 7th in driving distance at 322 yards. Ho-hum media coverage and Brooks somehow continues under the radar despite winning 4 majors.

Bryson DeChambeau wins the US Open, finishes 7th in driving distance at 325 yards. Media coverage is absolutely bonkers, he's revolutionizing the game, rules need to change, golf courses are all suddenly irrelevant.

Those 3 yards must be pretty special.

Brooks Koepka wins the US Open, finishes 7th in driving distance at 322 yards. Ho-hum media coverage and Brooks somehow continues under the radar despite winning 4 majors.

Bryson DeChambeau wins the US Open, finishes 7th in driving distance at 325 yards. Media coverage is absolutely bonkers, he's revolutionizing the game, rules need to change, golf courses are all suddenly irrelevant.

Those 3 yards must be pretty special.

It's because his swing is different. Not just because of the distance.

Back