• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Brooks Koepka wins the US Open, finishes 7th in driving distance at 322 yards. Ho-hum media coverage and Brooks somehow continues under the radar despite winning 4 majors.

Bryson DeChambeau wins the US Open, finishes 7th in driving distance at 325 yards. Media coverage is absolutely bonkers, he's revolutionizing the game, rules need to change, golf courses are all suddenly irrelevant.

Those 3 yards must be pretty special.

Yeah, Brooks had the Bryson 2.0 look when Bryson was still a skinny punk. In fact, I bet truth be told, Brooks was kind of an "inspiration" for what Bryson did. There's no doubt Bryson worked really hard and all, but what's he's done isn't near as revolutionary as the media makes it out to be. He felt like he needed to hit the ball longer and he took steps to do that? How many times over the years have guys felt they needed to hit it longer and took steps to do that? The only thing different about Bryson is he is one of the few success stories when guys start chasing distance. Most of the time it doesn't work out too well when a guy starts making significant changes to chase distance.

It's because his swing is different. Not just because of the distance.

His swing isn't that different, other guys are single plane. He's different because he uses single length irons, single length irons have been around for a long time, he's just the first guy to have that kind of success with them. Mainly because he's probably one of the few to really commit to them. There's other players that could have success with them too, just don't have the desire or commitment level to do it.

More than any other sport, golf relies on tradition. Bryson questions everything and is less afraid to think out of the box than any golfer in recent memory. That makes a lot of people uncomfortable. DeChambeau was a top 20 golfer as it was, but he decided to eat and train like a linebacker because he determined that would give him an edge. If that experiment had failed, the masses would have mocked him, but he was on to something. He's going to continue to tinker with every aspect of the game to try to get better (he may use a long drive contest type of driver in Augusta in November; he may reduce the length of his wedges). That will continue to bother people, but got to respect his willingness to take risks to improve.

Last edited:
His swing isn't that different, other guys are single plane. He's different because he uses single length irons, single length irons have been around for a long time, he's just the first guy to have that kind of success with them. Mainly because he's probably one of the few to really commit to them. There's other players that could have success with them too, just don't have the desire or commitment level to do it.

How many other guys set up with their arms outstretched past their shoulders?

The thing is, some of these guys are able to hit out of 7 inch rough whether they hit it 270 yards or 330 yards. So growing the rough doesn't slow them down like it's supposed to. Also, reducing the distance of the top 10 longest drivers isn't just going to affect the top 10, it's going to affect everybody.

More than any other sport, golf relies on tradition. Bryson questions everything and is less afraid to think out of the box than any golfer in recent memory. That makes a lot of people uncomfortable. DeChambeau was a top 20 golfer as it was, but he decided to eat and train like a linebacker because he determined that would give him an edge. If that experiment had failed, the masses would have mocked him, but he was on to something. He's going to continue to tinker with every aspect of the game to try to get better (he may use a long drive contest type of driver in Augusta in November; he may reduce the length of his wedges). That will continue to bother people, but got to respect his willingness to take risks to improve.

I can’t imagine hitting a sand wedge with six-iron length shaft. Would be interesting to try, though.

Absolutely respect his willingness to take risk and improve. As has been shown, chasing distance is risky, hasn't worked out that well for a lot of guys. It's just the things he's doing aren't as "revolutionary" as the media makes it out to be. That's not his fault. Single length clubs, been around a long time. Working out for golf, guys have been doing that awhile, look at Brooks. I'd say the most revolutionary thing he does is probably with his pre-shot calculations.

How many other guys set up with their arms outstretched past their shoulders?

Is his setup a little extreme yes. Is his actual swing that different, not at all. Look at his turn, impact position, etc and it's not that different. Matt Wolfe's swing, now that's different. His little move he makes right before hitting, the way he takes the club away, but even with all that he drops the club in the slot and from the top it's not the different.

To me, what Bryson has done is to take things to the extreme more than being revolutionary. Even his putting stroke, it's an armlock, lots of guys are doing that now. He's just taken it to an extreme with his extremely uncomfortable looking setup, but he's made it almost machine like. It's take a special kind of guy to play that way. To me, he's the polar opposite of a feel player. He's tried to make his swing and putting stroke machine like and he's put in tons of work to program that machine to create different shots. If he has 100 yard pitch shot, he doesn't feel it like a lot of players to, from practice he knows its a 10 o'clock backswing with his lob wedge or whatever. Or a 20 foot uphill putt on a certain speed green is a 10 inch backstroke or whatever. He's made it work for him and that's great.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine hitting a sand wedge with six-iron length shaft. Would be interesting to try, though.

To me that is the biggest draw back. I'm an admitted club whore, I love to try different clubs and thus I've had almost everything from one time or the other. My garage looks like a mini proshop. I've thought about trying the single length, but I just can't get past the long short irons and I don't think there's anyway you can be more accurate with those clubs in a single length set. I hit a lot more short irons and wedges when I play than mid and long irons, so I just don't see how they could benefit. I can see how the longer irons would be easier to hit as long as you have enough club head speed to get them up in the air, but the short irons and wedges would have to be less accurate at that length. I think that's probably the thing that's taken Bryson the longest to get right as well and I'm sure it's taken lots and lots of work.

"but I just can't get past the length of the short irons" < what I meant to type, but wouldn't let me edit?

Zalatoris opened as a co-favorite for the Puerto Rico event this week as a KFT player. Maybe he can go ahead and just win this event and get two year status. He's going to get his card at the end of this upcoming season but he's also playing like a top 40 player in the world over the last year.

I have no problem with him tinkering, thinking outside the box and challenging tradition. What I do have a problem with him is he's a whiny dick who treats people like crap, and he's the slowest player on tour. That's why I root against him.

Supposed to be on a flight to Whistling Straits for the Ryder Cup this morning. Covid sucks.

No worries you can always watch the Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship! The title makes it sound like it's the club championship at the local CC down the road, lol.

I have no problem with him tinkering, thinking outside the box and challenging tradition. What I do have a problem with him is he's a whiny dick who treats people like crap, and he's the slowest player on tour. That's why I root against him.

This. Between him getting upset at a cameraman earlier this season and then arguing with a rules official at Memorial.....not a fan.

This. Between him getting upset at a cameraman earlier this season and then arguing with a rules official at Memorial.....not a fan.

Agree. I was taught growing up that rule number one in golf is to play ready golf - to not do so is nothing but disrespect to your fellow players. In general, if you have to sit around and wait because someone is taking their time, that has a negative impact on your game, and I'm sure that's true with the pros as well. It's also why I've never been a big fan of Kevin Na - he's also one of the slowest players out there in the field.

No question Bryson is a spoiled whiner. Watched his group for much of the first round on-line, and late in the day on Thursday, DeChambeau missed an 8 footer and screamed "These greens suck". He was playing the US Open at Wingfoot in perfect weather, where the greens were about as pristine as any golfer could reasonably expect; you could tell DJ and Finau looked shocked, and appeared to react like "WTF, maybe you just hit a bad putt; sometimes, it's on you". Even so, DeChambeau has bigtime talent, he's smart, and he is willing to take risks that other golfers are not. Dude is intriguing, even if he is douchey.

Supposed to be on a flight to Whistling Straits for the Ryder Cup this morning. Covid sucks.

Meh, I agreed with cancelling the RC this year. I like being able to watch regular events without fans and am appreciative of the tours figuring out ways to continue despite covid. But the RC, PC and SC are events where they're not remotely the same without fans. As to your second sentence, yes, covid sucks hairy moose cock.

+1

Zalatoris opened as a co-favorite for the Puerto Rico event this week as a KFT player. Maybe he can go ahead and just win this event and get two year status. He's going to get his card at the end of this upcoming season but he's also playing like a top 40 player in the world over the last year.

Sucks he has to wait basically a whole year from now. Normal circumstances he'd have the card already.

Back