• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I would argue the US Open and its typical high rough is a worse fit for DeChambeau than the Open and perhaps the Masters. He's become a good putter. His play around the greens may be an area needing improvement.

My hot take on Bryson is that he's simply going down the wrong rabbit hole. The prevailing assumption seems to be that winning one US Open means his pursuit of length is working. This dude was one stroke away from a top 20 the first time he played the Masters as an amateur. Tiger's first he was 41st and the next time missed the cut. I think his pursuit of length, at the expense of other gaps in his game, have hurt him. To me his ceiling was higher than one major to this point. People forget at that US Open that while he hit it far, it was really his ridiculous putting and chipping week compare to his averages that leapfrogged him.

Let's say that the rabbit hole he went down was mixing single length irons with shorter wedges, combined with his meticulous course prep, and really dialing in his distance control. How long would that help his game? How long can he keep downing protein shakes and training with Long Drive pros during a PGA Tour schedule and stay healthy doing it? Remember when Phil piped it by him at the PGA?

To me, the relative advantage he's getting, at the expense of his clearly lacking in distance control, bunker play, and overall wedge game, is simply nowhere close to being worth the effort. And it's temporary. Everyone said Tiger could swing like that without getting hurt - everyone was right. But Tiger had an immaculate short game and won an Open hitting nothing but irons. Bryson's going to injure his back or his knee or his shoulder, and his decline will be far worse.

If this year has shown anything it's that Bryson is insecure, that his insecurity affects his play, and in turn drives him to do things like competing in the World Long Drive for no reason other than to say he's the best or most innovative or most "something" because that is where he gets his confidence from. Bryson would rather be talked about as a genius innovator than beat guys on tour, and that's the difference between him and a guy like Tiger. That's why when he melts down in a final round you hear excuses, deferring to luck, that he loved how he played while losing, etc.

Bryson will probably hit a major venue or Masters setup where his length pays off and his putting is hot enough to win another one in the next couple of years. But I'd guess that's his window is 3 years before the long drive thing blows up. The sooner it happens the better off he'll be in the long run.

FWIW, Bryson is unreal long for a PGA player, but he is not in the same league as the freaks that are world class long drivers. While long driving is kind of cool to watch (for 10 minutes once a year), really is pointless for Bryson to throw his hat into that ring (other than the attention grab).

Bryson isn't a flash in the pan, obviously, but I'm taking the under on 2.5 majors. Unless he changes his game, I don't think he ever sniffs winning the Open or Masters, so that leaves him with two major tournaments that are more "winnable" for his game. And even in the U.S. Open or PGA he needs the right course to smash it around on. With his pool of winnable majors being so limited I think he gets one more, but 3 is too big of a stretch for me.

He will be the favorite at the Old Course next year.

My hot take on Bryson is that he's simply going down the wrong rabbit hole. The prevailing assumption seems to be that winning one US Open means his pursuit of length is working. This dude was one stroke away from a top 20 the first time he played the Masters as an amateur. Tiger's first he was 41st and the next time missed the cut. I think his pursuit of length, at the expense of other gaps in his game, have hurt him. To me his ceiling was higher than one major to this point. People forget at that US Open that while he hit it far, it was really his ridiculous putting and chipping week compare to his averages that leapfrogged him.

Let's say that the rabbit hole he went down was mixing single length irons with shorter wedges, combined with his meticulous course prep, and really dialing in his distance control. How long would that help his game? How long can he keep downing protein shakes and training with Long Drive pros during a PGA Tour schedule and stay healthy doing it? Remember when Phil piped it by him at the PGA?

To me, the relative advantage he's getting, at the expense of his clearly lacking in distance control, bunker play, and overall wedge game, is simply nowhere close to being worth the effort. And it's temporary. Everyone said Tiger could swing like that without getting hurt - everyone was right. But Tiger had an immaculate short game and won an Open hitting nothing but irons. Bryson's going to injure his back or his knee or his shoulder, and his decline will be far worse.

If this year has shown anything it's that Bryson is insecure, that his insecurity affects his play, and in turn drives him to do things like competing in the World Long Drive for no reason other than to say he's the best or most innovative or most "something" because that is where he gets his confidence from. Bryson would rather be talked about as a genius innovator than beat guys on tour, and that's the difference between him and a guy like Tiger. That's why when he melts down in a final round you hear excuses, deferring to luck, that he loved how he played while losing, etc.

Bryson will probably hit a major venue or Masters setup where his length pays off and his putting is hot enough to win another one in the next couple of years. But I'd guess that's his window is 3 years before the long drive thing blows up. The sooner it happens the better off he'll be in the long run.

I think the advantage lies entirely in statistics based on course setups. It's a calculated risk, but I absolutely agree that he will injure himself.

And I also agree he didn't need to make this change. He was the best amateur in the world and had a dream finish to his amateur career. He won early as a pro. The big hole in his game was the same then as it is now...he wasn't an elite wedge player, and I think it's pretty easy to blame equipment.

He will be the favorite at the Old Course next year.

I don't see Bryson coping well with the quirks of the Old Course. Particularly the bunkers which are basically unavoidable when you try to hit it deep there. There's a reason why it's the only major where he doesn't have a top 25 and he's missed the cut for half his appearances. Slow greens, unplayable lies, bad bounces, weird OB areas - it's everything he hates. Maybe if there's no wind and he finds the Tiger magic of missing every bunker...

I don't see Bryson coping well with the quirks of the Old Course. Particularly the bunkers which are basically unavoidable when you try to hit it deep there. There's a reason why it's the only major where he doesn't have a top 25 and he's missed the cut for half his appearances. Slow greens, unplayable lies, bad bounces, weird OB areas - it's everything he hates. Maybe if there's no wind and he finds the Tiger magic of missing every bunker...

I'm basing that mainly on the fact that if weather isn't the main factor he can completely overpower the course. There is no course in the rota that favors length more than TOC. Any other Open course and I think he loses his mind.

I'm basing that mainly on the fact that if weather isn't the main factor he can completely overpower the course. There is no course in the rota that favors length more than TOC. Any other Open course and I think he loses his mind.

The old course does seem like a place he could simply overpower but wild tee shots aren’t just in the rough like they are at the US Open. They are gorse bushes and all that crap. I also don’t know much about his shot creativity which used to be critical at the open. Maybe length negates the need for creativity but a guy like Tom Watson dominated the Open because he was so creative in his shot making.

It will be interesting to see how he handles the Ryder Cup this week.

I think the advantage lies entirely in statistics based on course setups. It's a calculated risk, but I absolutely agree that he will injure himself.

And I also agree he didn't need to make this change. He was the best amateur in the world and had a dream finish to his amateur career. He won early as a pro. The big hole in his game was the same then as it is now...he wasn't an elite wedge player, and I think it's pretty easy to blame equipment.

Agreed. His wedge play is still the weakest part of his game. I understand his desire to try and find an advantage over the field and there's courses where it's worked. However, I also don't think his body holds up long term.

As far as winning majors, maybe he eventually wins this masters but he's struggled there. He's finished 21, 38, 29, 34, and 46 yet he claims par for him at Augusta is 67 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Agreed. His wedge play is still the weakest part of his game. I understand his desire to try and find an advantage over the field and there's courses where it's worked. However, I also don't think his body holds up long term.

As far as winning majors, maybe he eventually wins this masters but he's struggled there. He's finished 21, 38, 29, 34, and 46 yet he claims par for him at August is 67 :rolleyes:

How many bad chippers/bunker players have won at Augusta?

PGA Tour 2021 Thread

Wow. Hell of a shot for anyone much less a tiny 12 year old. Good for him. Kid got to play with his dad and finish runner up in a tournament.

Last edited:
Wow. Hell of a shot for anyone much less a tiny 12 year old. Good for him. Kid got to play with his dad and finish runner up in a tournament.

Was very impressed by both Charlie and Tiger this weekend. For what Tiger went through just 10 months ago and look that good was crazy. And then Charlie...I had to keep reminding myself the kid is only 12. Sky appears to be the limit for him.

Yeah Charlie has a bright future if he can avoid the hookers and painkillers.

He's 5 back and has missed a handful of good birdie chances.

He was solid on the front nine but made unforced bogies from the fairway at 8 and 10

would take a miracle but not totally out of it after pitching in for bird.

some weird decisions earlier in the round imo, esp on that short part 4 guarded by the bunker

eta: niemann chokes on the short par putt!

Back