• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Does anyone else get the feeling that Spieth really doesn't care all that much for Reed? They pair well, but I just get the sense that Spieth is thinking "this fucking asshole again..."

A unique challenge with Reed. Does anyone like the guy? At least Bubba has several close friends out there.

Brandel being Brandel on the Ryder Cup preview getting into it with Duval on leadership

It's one thing for Brandel to provide general commentary on players. He may not have done much as a player but he does know the game well.

It's another thing entirely for him to argue with a multi-Ryder Cup (and Presidents Cup) team veteran about its inner workings and the causes of U.S. woes. Simply put, the U.S. didn't have enough good players for a number of Ryder Cups between 1995 and 2006.

Last edited:
reed-spieth-ryder-cup.jpg

This is awesome.

It's one thing for Brandel to provide general commentary on players. He may not have done much as a player but he does know the game well.

It's another thing entirely for him to argue with a multi-Ryder Cup (and Presidents Cup) team veteran about its inner workings and the causes of U.S. woes. Simply put, the U.S. didn't have enough good players for a number of Ryder Cups between 1995 and 2006.

Agree. I really like Duval as an analyst. Thoughtful and intelligent. And he's been there. Unlike Brandel...

Interesting comments from Monty just now too. Not dodging or downplaying the comments by Willett's brother.

I think Duval is going to end up being the long term replacement for Johnny Miller.

At least Miller is a Hall of Famer. Listening to a career journeyman be so critical is annoying

Agree. I really like Duval as an analyst. Thoughtful and intelligent. And he's been there. Unlike Brandel...

Interesting comments from Monty just now too. Not dodging or downplaying the comments by Willett's brother.

Yeah, I feel badly for Willett. Seems like a good guy. I thought his brother's tweets during the Masters final round were great. But with Europe being on foreign soil, he shouldn't be so bold with his tweets. And Danny appeared seriously bothered by the tweets.

Speaking of controversy, how about Phil dredging up Sutton's lousy captaincy to stir the pot once again. Not that Phil's comments are incorrect - Sutton is a horse's ass and was an idiot as a captain - made Strange look good by comparison. But Phil has no idea of how a good teammate is supposed to behave. What goes on in the locker room stays in the locker room, and you just don't air your dirty laundry. Especially when you're the 2nd best player by far in the last 30 years, but you have sucked and have a losing record at the RC. He's like a diva WR in football who dropped the game winning TD but blames everyone else.

Monty is a bloviating gaspot.

Also, Phil needs to shut up. For as great a career he has had, his Ryder Cup record (16-19-7) leaves a lot to be desired. And that even includes a 3-0 rookie performance 21 years ago. Did playing Tiger's ball cause him to only win 0.5 points out of 5 matches in 2006?

Actually, he illustrates a great contrast between himself and the up-and-comers. Those guys don't whine and complain about this sort of stuff (except for maybe Bubba) whereas Phil just cannot help himself. Shut up and lead, don't blame other people for your crappy play. The US should roll this week so I hope Phil puts this nonsense aside now.

Last edited:
Monty is a bloviating gaspot.

Also, Phil needs to shut up. For as great a career he has had, his Ryder Cup record (16-19-7) leaves a lot to be desired. And that even includes a 3-0 rookie performance 21 years ago. Did playing Tiger's ball cause him to only win 0.5 points out of 5 matches in 2006?

Actually, he illustrates a great contrast between himself and the up-and-comers. Those guys don't whine and complain about this sort of stuff (except for maybe Bubba) whereas Phil just cannot help himself. Shut up and lead, don't blame other people for your crappy play. The US should roll this week so I hope Phil puts this nonsense aside now.

Give Spieth some time...

And people need to realize that Phil is an asshat and has always been one.

We have reached peak FIGJAM. I do think part of this is Phil shouldering the spotlight from the rest of the team so they can go play and spend less time being distracted. Phil literally thinks he can do all this, play protector and still play well in the matches. Interesting strategy.

Agree as to Monty and this new generation. When Tiger burst on the scene and blitzed that mid 80s to late 90s generation, there was some griping about how long guys like Daly and Woods were, and no one rose to the Tiger challenge. Today's generation all work out and come in with the attitude that they want to be the next Tiger. And when they get bested in a particular tournament (recall Spieth and Day at last year's PGA), they smile and congratulate the next guy. I greatly prefer these new guys to Phil and those 90s players, especially the Americans from back then. That was largely an underachieving bunch vis-a-vis their talent, except maybe Stewart and Janzen.

Agree as to Monty and this new generation. When Tiger burst on the scene and blitzed that mid 80s to late 90s generation, there was some griping about how long guys like Daly and Woods were, and no one rose to the Tiger challenge. Today's generation all work out and come in with the attitude that they want to be the next Tiger. And when they get bested in a particular tournament (recall Spieth and Day at last year's PGA), they smile and congratulate the next guy. I greatly prefer these new guys to Phil and those 90s players, especially the Americans from back then. That was largely an underachieving bunch vis-a-vis their talent, except maybe Stewart and Janzen.

*cue old guys bitching about how there aren't any rivalries anymore and being terrible for the game*

Phil (along with Rory) are great examples of how many athletes (not just golfers) are in no-win situations. People hate it when golfers give generic, PR-coached answers, but then the few guys who are honest, and no one is more honest than Phil, get pounced on by Phil haters like TinCup and Cville. Would not be surprised if Cville is decked out in blue and yellow this weekend given it seems like he has been critical of half the American team.

Phil (along with Rory) are great examples of how many athletes (not just golfers) are in no-win situations. People hate it when golfers give generic, PR-coached answers, but then the few guys who are honest, and no one is more honest than Phil, get pounced on by Phil haters like TinCup and Cville. Would not be surprised if Cville is decked out in blue and yellow this weekend given it seems like he has been critical of half the American team.

They're fat guys whose Super Bowl is sitting behind a computer and bitching about successful athletes. What do you expect?

From a top level talent perspective, I think we're getting back to the Nicklaus era, mid-sixites to mid-seventies. Jack had to beat guys like Arnie, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Raymond Floyd, Hale Irwin, and Billy Casper. All of those guys had the stones to shoot 67 on Sunday at a major and win. There aren't many guys Tiger had to beat who you would put in the same category. But there are now.

Seriously?

From a top level talent perspective, I think we're getting back to the Nicklaus era, mid-sixites to mid-seventies. Jack had to beat guys like Arnie, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Tom Watson, Raymond Floyd, Hale Irwin, and Billy Casper. All of those guys had the stones to shoot 67 on Sunday at a major and win. There aren't many guys Tiger had to beat who you would put in the same category. But there are now.

Careful there.... Would those guys have been names if Tiger wasn't there?

Back