• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

In the opening round of the Byron Nelson, Sebastian Munoz shot 60 (28 on the back) - lowest round on the Tour this season. He currently leads by 6.

In the opening round of the Byron Nelson, Sebastian Munoz shot 60 (28 on the back) - lowest round on the Tour this season. He currently leads by 6.

Good for Sebastian. This isn't much of a golf weekend. I was watching some of the Belgium course this a.m., and neither that course nor the Texas course do a whole lot for me. Not familiar with the LPGA venue. The more interesting news is who is leaving for the LIV tour. So far we have Phil, Sergio, Garrigus and maybe Westwood, Poulter and Scott. Looks like the has been tour. Monahan isn't granting releases, and Norman is threatening to sue, along with saying "we all make mistakes" in excusing Saudi Arabia's human rights violations. I don't know about y'all, but I've learned a lot from the occasions I've intentionally killed people. It's nice to grow as a human.

Good for Sebastian. This isn't much of a golf weekend. I was watching some of the Belgium course this a.m., and neither that course nor the Texas course do a whole lot for me. Not familiar with the LPGA venue. The more interesting news is who is leaving for the LIV tour. So far we have Phil, Sergio, Garrigus and maybe Westwood, Poulter and Scott. Looks like the has been tour. Monahan isn't granting releases, and Norman is threatening to sue, along with saying "we all make mistakes" in excusing Saudi Arabia's human rights violations. I don't know about y'all, but I've learned a lot from the occasions I've intentionally killed people. It's nice to grow as a human.

This is nice to see. It really is. Good for you.
I do completely agree with Monahan and the PGA Tour's stance on this new league. You can't release PGA Tour members to play in these events because it hurts the events/sponsors/local economies/charities that are depending on getting the most possible out of a given PGA Tour event. Play in this new tour's events if you want, but you can't do that AND still be a member of the PGA Tour. Way to go PGA Tour. Greg Norman hasn't sounded nearly as smart throughout this as I thought he was. He's actually looked pretty dumb and clueless and actually not very eloquent.

Last edited:
It's pretty surreal to watch everyone gearing up for the PGA without Phil returning as the defending champion. What an awful path he's put himself on.

I’ve got to admit I didn’t think Phil would take the hit he’s taken from all this. I thought he’d take his medicine and be back this weekend.

Phil and Greg Norman just don't know when to shut up and stop. Norman is worse for sure as he keeps doubling down, but Phil fucked up and hasn't been able to walk anything back.

Phil and Greg Norman just don't know when to shut up and stop. Norman is worse for sure as he keeps doubling down, but Phil fucked up and hasn't been able to walk anything back.

The Norman press conference was a barrel of laughs. Dude can't get out of his own way.

Jack Nicklaus turned down 100 mil from the Saudis to be their front man. Jack say "I helped start the PGA tour. No way I would turn my back on them". This is when they turned to Gregg Norman and well...things have gone way south.

Is Phil the golf equivalent of when everyone realized Ellen DeGeneres is a huge asshole?

Is Phil the golf equivalent of when everyone realized Ellen DeGeneres is a huge asshole?

I guess.

Webb looks bad here:

"We're in a cancel culture right now," said Webb Simpson, who considers Mickelson a close friend and mentor. "If you say one thing, or somebody digs up something in your past, they cancel you. There have been many situations out here, and in sports, where a player might have done something wrong, sure we can all agree, but I would rather be in an environment where it's a forgiveness culture, not a cancel culture.”

Who is “cancelling” Phil? He did something people didn’t like and they let him know. Who is keeping him out of the spotlight? Nobody as far as I can tell.

Eh, maybe, but those who really keep up pretty much know Phil has a different side to him.

Now the suggestions are Phil might actually be really worried not about Alan Shipnuck's book, but Billy Walters's has a tell all memoir coming out later this year. He's the man who was implicated in Phil's insider trading stuff that he got off the hook for. Phil declined to take the stand for his trial in 2017 I believe. Allegedly a really shady guy.

It’s not like people didn’t know about FIGJAM for years, and I’d guess the vast majority of golf fans knew Phil’s “aw shucks” demeanor on the course was mostly a facade. But he’s so good, so entertaining, and he won a damn major on a huge golf course at 50… Most fans are just dying to forgive him. It’s not like Greg Norman who is generally hated by everyone.

He’s just determined to keep rejecting that good will, making it harder and harder to come back from. It does seem like it has to be about money, but even so it’s just nuts. How do you win a major at 50 then just quit?

Right. A week ago, the reports were that he’s was playing this weekend. Then it changed. What happened? Did the Tour suspend him? Did he decide he couldn’t face reporters?

The comments were bad but he could charm and play his way out of them with fans. There’s got to be more.

Right. A week ago, the reports were that he’s was playing this weekend. Then it changed. What happened? Did the Tour suspend him? Did he decide he couldn’t face reporters?

The comments were bad but he could charm and play his way out of them with fans. There’s got to be more.

I don't think he's suspended. The statement put out by the PGA was basically like "Phil was welcomed to play and we would have loved to have him". I'm guessing he's trying to lay low since he let them make the statement and didn't try to get ahead of it by saying something like "my game isn't where it needs to be to be competitive and I would only be a distraction, etc. etc."

I think he wanted no part of the media with Alan Shipnuck's book coming out. Sounds like there is a Billy Walters book going even further into his gambling issues coming soon as well.

I think Mickelson could have survived the Saudi stuff with a mea culpa tour, which is why to me it feels like this is a self imposed exile because he realizes the really bad personal stuff is still to come.

Agree think the worst stuff about Phil has to yet be completely revealed. Have also heard that his game is a complete mess right now. Phil is struggling to break 80. When you know that you can't compete, that makes it easier to withdraw.

Last edited:
Back