• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

59 alert on The Golf Channel; James Hahn in the fairway on 18 and needs birdie.

The B.O. in Kentucky right now is a lot more entertaining than the B.O. in England was. Lots of drama from the boys teeing it up between the shaving cream cans.

Good battle down the stretch in the Senior Open from Sunningdale GC in England. No reprieve from the PXG clubs commercials omnipresent on the PGA tour coverage, however.

Last edited:
A little weird to me that the PGA is taking this week off for the Olympics. When the best players in the world are playing in the Open Championship or a WGC event, the PGA typically schedules a lesser tour event like the Puerto Rico Open or the Barbasol Open, which have been entertaining. The Olympic golf event is limited 60, and a large segment of the field aren't even tour players.

As far as the Olympic Tourney (which starts tomorrow), seems like the kind of event that Xander would win. The last Olympic gold medalist was Justin Rose, and like Schauffele, Rose is a guy that has come close in a lot of big tournaments. Apparently, the course is beautiful. Hideki Matsuyama has won two amateur events there.

Rose won the US Open and was once the #1 player in the world.

A little weird to me that the PGA is taking this week off for the Olympics. When the best players in the world are playing in the Open Championship or a WGC event, the PGA typically schedules a lesser tour event like the Puerto Rico Open or the Barbasol Open, which have been entertaining. The Olympic golf event is limited 60, and a large segment of the field aren't even tour players.

As far as the Olympic Tourney (which starts tomorrow), seems like the kind of event that Xander would win. The last Olympic gold medalist was Justin Rose, and like Schauffele, Rose is a guy that has come close in a lot of big tournaments. Apparently, the course is beautiful. Hideki Matsuyama has won two amateur events there.

They don't play a tournament opposite the Ryder Cup, right? Same principle. Don't force players to choose between playing for country or for money (because you might not like the answer....).

The women and Euros are playing a combined event at Galgorm Castle. Never seen that course but should be worth tuning in.

If I'm rooting for any golfer at the Olympics, it's Hideki. And it's not Reed - so we replaced asshole #1 with asshole #2. Let's hope his unfamiliarity with the course and late arrival prevent him from winning.

If either of the South Korean entrants SW Kim or Sungjae Im medal, they are excused from their 2 year obligation to serve in the Korean military. This was an important enough incentive that both golfers skipped the Open Championship to prep for the Olympics. The two year commitment has stifled some careers as Sang Moon Bae was a PGA tour winner, prior to serving his commitment, and when he returned to golf, he could not play at the same level.

The women and Euros are playing a combined event at Galgorm Castle. Never seen that course but should be worth tuning in.

If I'm rooting for any golfer at the Olympics, it's Hideki. And it's not Reed - so we replaced asshole #1 with asshole #2. Let's hope his unfamiliarity with the course and late arrival prevent him from winning.

Is Oosthuizen playing for So Africa?

Is Oosthuizen playing for So Africa? I see he is not.

Could be there's nobody to televise it? Comcast already dumped the ladies major onto CNBC last week, with all their networks packed this week I doubt they'd have the interest in an off peak PGA filler event (or crew to staff it)?

Is Oosthuizen playing for So Africa?

No, I think Higgo and Bezoudenhuit are. I was kinda surprised to see Rory there this time after saying last time that he felt like he didn't have a country because in the Olympics, it's Ireland and Great Britain.

Joanne Carner, those of us golf nuts will remember her as "Big Momma" Joanne Carner of LPGA fame in the 60's, 70's and 80's, at 82 years of age shot an 81 at the US Women's Senior Open today. That was with a double bogey on the last hole. Quick an amazing feat I'd say!

Watched Kupcho put her ball in the water on 18 to miss out on a playoff that Anannarukarn eventually won at Galgorm Castle. Kupcho played the last 2 rounds in the last group with Talley, and her caddie is Talley's boyfriend. The women outplayed the men on the back nine - the men in the last group were gagging, a couple of whom were like +5 or 6 on the back nine. Kind of a cool event.

Also nice to see Xander get gold. If Hideki wasn't going to win it, Xander was my next rooting interest.

FIFY.

Brutal finish with so much on the line

Yes, brutal. But I think laying up was the correct choice. There was water down the left, and if you bailed out right, you'd have an awkward pitch down to a pin close to the water's edge. The problem was she layed up in the rough and then went at the pin instead of aiming 20' right.

Back