• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Clearly audible "Make America Great Again" comment right after Danny Lee tees off on #12.....sounded like a kid's voice too.....:rulz:

Tough to finish by hitting in the water at 18, utgot to hand it to Webb.
He led on day 1 and dominated the rest of the way.
We'll done!

Awesome dominant win against a stellar field. So psyched for him. Crazy to see 2 full days of watching every Webb swing and conversation with Paul.

Not a Webb fan, but didn't want to see him collapse either. The 2 things I noticed about him over the weekend were that he is putting much better, and he is playing a lot faster than he used to play. He used to be 1 of the slowest guys out there. But this weekend he'd talk to Tesori, then take the club and hit the shot or putt without much hesitation. While all the golf guys were talking about the putter change, when did he start picking up the pace?

I could not help but wonder what it would have done to Webb if he collapsed and lost despite his substantial lead going into the final round. Very glad that didn't happen!

Why not? Don't follow golf. Seemed cool for a wake guy to win. Also nice to see something Wake Forest not collapse.

Some people don't like his personality because he's a pretty devout Christian.

It's reasonable not like his game because he used to play slow as shit and used a belly putter. Also not a long hitter. He's also never really been a hard charger who plays in one of the final groups and stares down the competition for the win. He had a great final round to force a playoff in Scottsdale last year, but the playoff against Matsuyama was unbearable and non-clutch.

I like him though.

Why not? Don't follow golf. Seemed cool for a wake guy to win. Also nice to see something Wake Forest not collapse.

I find that golf boy religious crowd to be a bit douchey. Add to that he used to be 1 of the slowest players on tour.

That said, I've been a fan of other religious golfers like Lehman, Zach, Kuchar, Schwartzel and Oosthuizen.

Webb is the only Deacon to win a major in ages (since Curtis Strange in the late 1980s). They mentioned on the telecast that Simpson was spotted in a Starbucks in J'ville wearing a Wake Forest t-shirt on Sunday morning; that's all it takes for me to be in the tank for Webb. Also admire anyone who can play on that level and not bomb the ball, shows ridiculous skill.

Yeah, he wears his Christianity on his sleeve, but to each his own.

Webb is the only Deacon to win a major in ages (since Curtis Strange in the late 1980s). They mentioned on the telecast that Simpson was spotted in a Starbucks in J'ville wearing a Wake Forest t-shirt on Sunday morning; that's all it takes for me to be in the tank for Webb. Also admire anyone who can play on that level and not bomb the ball, shows ridiculous skill.

Yeah, he wears his Christianity on his sleeve, but to each his own.

They said last night that he was 1st in Driving accuracy and DFL in driving distance. Pretty interesting, and I'm sure extremely helpful on a course with a ton of water.

thrilling the crowd with a deliberate, one over final round

Your strategy would have been to go after every flag? That's the benefit of building a big lead with three days of great play. Not a very sexy final round, but he did exactly what he needed to do to win. The ball in the water on 18 was a bit of a puzzler, but it didn't matter at that point.

Back