• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Before Covid, I had planned to go to the Masters last week and the RSM this week with my sons and son-in-law. So much for that. At least we can watch golf on tv. I figured that golf and college football would save me during Covid. Unfortunately, college football is starting to let me down.

Cool tournament this week in the a.m. at the Leopard Creek game reserve in South Africa. Good layout with some great risk/reward par 5s, and you get elephant cam. They had elephants, lions, hippos, a leopard, crocs and warthogs today. One of my favorite Fall courses.

Cool tournament this week in the a.m. at the Leopard Creek game reserve in South Africa. Good layout with some great risk/reward par 5s, and you get elephant cam. They had elephants, lions, hippos, a leopard, crocs and warthogs today. One of my favorite Fall courses.

Tuning in thanks.

If anyone watched the PGA today, did you catch the guy (I assume he was a volunteer based on his blue shirt) who was greenside as Viktor Hovland walked off the 18th green? I swear that's the biggest human being I've ever seen; had to be well over 7' tall.

If anyone watched the PGA today, did you catch the guy (I assume he was a volunteer based on his blue shirt) who was greenside as Viktor Hovland walked off the 18th green? I swear that's the biggest human being I've ever seen; had to be well over 7' tall.

I think I saw him. Standing on the right? Definitely a very big dude.

Another blown opportunity by Tony Finau to finally get a 2nd win. I'm a big Finau fan, but the guy has start to getting some wins. Great player, but I'm afraid he just doesn't have that "it" factor it takes to be a consistent winner.

Another blown opportunity by Tony Finau to finally get a 2nd win. I'm a big Finau fan, but the guy has start to getting some wins. Great player, but I'm afraid he just doesn't have that "it" factor it takes to be a consistent winner.

Counterpoint - Puerto Rico Open curse (no PGA player that has won the Puerto Rico Open has won another PGA tour event, Finau included) is BROKEN by Viktor Hovland. So there's that.

Agree. Sometimes he gets out-birdied, as when Simpson beat him in PHX, but other times he makes bad bogies and shoots himself in the foot (like this weekend). Hovland seems like a likable guy. Candid in post round interview about not being super comfortable in the Sunday pressure situations.

I've always liked Finau, and he did play pretty well in his RC appearance. But I opined a few pages back that he and Ciganda are the exact same golfer - long, pretty straight, lots of GIRs, but both of their short games disappear on Sunday afternoons. He'll make a ton of $$, but he won't win much and probably will never win a major.

I watched some of the Mayakoba but more of the SA Open on the Gary Player course. Not as cool as the Leopard Creek course but still a strong layout. And Bezuidenhout is on a nice roll winning 2 in a row, but I can't understand a word he says.

Edited to add Peter Aliss died at 89 - a pretty good run. He was 1 of my favorite golf broadcasters.

Last edited:
The DP is this weekend if you can get up early enough - it's over at 8:00. The Dubai course has as good a 16, 17 and 18 as there is, and it's a great field. Our least favorite cheater could become the 1st American to win the Race to Dubai. Also the US Women's Open, though I haven't caught as much of that. Any opinions of that Houston course. I've yet to see a Houston course on either tour that has interested me.

Some guy named Jack Grahman is retiring and leaving the Golf Channel and different people were giving tributes during the LPGA tournament on now. Anyway, Curtis Strange was giving one from what looked like his living room and repping the Deacs with a Wake football helmet on his mantle. Way to go Curtis!

While it was fun watching Tiger's kid parrot his dad's swing and mannerisms, will be interesting to see how Woods' son handles the scrutiny and expectations if he is simply a really good, but not a top level, player. Following in any all-time great's footsteps is an impossible task, but the pressure ramps up even further in individual sports where you have no teammates to lean on. Maybe Charlie will be awesome, but kind of think it would be better for him if pursued another sport.

While it was fun watching Tiger's kid parrot his dad's swing and mannerisms, will be interesting to see how Woods' son handles the scrutiny and expectations if he is simply a really good, but not a top level, player. Following in any all-time great's footsteps is an impossible task, but the pressure ramps up even further in individual sports where you have no teammates to lean on. Maybe Charlie will be awesome, but kind of think it would be better for him if pursued another sport.

I think he should do whatever he wants to do and I think that's how Tiger is handling him. If Charlie's passion is golf, then I'm sure Tiger will give him every advantage possible to be as good as he can be. I get the impression Tiger is allowing Charlie to lead when it comes to what he's interested in. Sure Charlie would face pressure and expectations that no other young golfer would coming up, but if that is what he wants, then Charlie should go for it. I may not be the biggest Tiger Wood's fan, but I think he's probably a great Dad and I think he's very smart and he'll handle things with Charlie in a great way I believe.

I think he should do whatever he wants to do and I think that's how Tiger is handling him. If Charlie's passion is golf, then I'm sure Tiger will give him every advantage possible to be as good as he can be. I get the impression Tiger is allowing Charlie to lead when it comes to what he's interested in. Sure Charlie would face pressure and expectations that no other young golfer would coming up, but if that is what he wants, then Charlie should go for it. I may not be the biggest Tiger Wood's fan, but I think he's probably a great Dad and I think he's very smart and he'll handle things with Charlie in a great way I believe.

Hope you are right about everything stated above.

Not saying Tiger should direct Charlie to play something else; if golf is Charlie's passion, agree that it's the kid's choice to make.

FWIW, think its pretty hard to judge parenting skills, by the snippets that are publicly available.

Hope you are right about everything stated above.

Not saying Tiger should direct Charlie to play something else; if golf is Charlie's passion, agree that it's the kid's choice to make.

FWIW, think its pretty hard to judge parenting skills, by the snippets that are publicly available.

I agree and Tiger could be a rotten Dad for all I know, but I just get the feeling Tiger takes great responsibility in being Dad and he's taking lessons learned from his Father and passing them on. Time will tell, Charlie is cute as he can be though, I wish him the very best.

All-time great athletes with children who aren’t that great or even good at the same sport is quite common. I don’t think there will be pressure on Charlie to be great unless it comes from his family.

PGA yanked the PGA Championship from Trump National in 2022.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Baltusrol get it (partially because it's about 12 minutes down the road from me). Course is only 30 minutes down I-78 from Trump National, so stuff like hotels, etc. are about the same (just as easy to get to Springfield from Morristown where all the big hotels are as it is from Bedminster) and from a mass transit standpoint, there's a lot more trains to Summit than Far Hills.

Hey Grayson Murray, shut up and grind.

I had to Google who Grayson Murray was.

I'd take a major championship and all the glory (and still a huge purse) over just winning some astronomical purse. I tend to think most of the big names on tour agree with me on this.

Back