• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Monty 54 professional wins (7 champions tour), 10 top 10 majors finishes. Westwood 44 professional wins, 19 top 10 majors finishes. No major wins for either. Wow.

Surprising that neither of these guys won a major, but they still have had very successful careers.
You have to be pretty good to win even one tournament as well as to get a top 10 in a major.

IMO, way too much is made over majors. It's all that's discussed relative to professional golf. It's like you are a nobody if you haven't won a major and you are immortal if you have won at least one. It's just a little bit arbitrary if you think about it.

IMO, way too much is made over majors. It's all that's discussed relative to professional golf. It's like you are a nobody if you haven't won a major and you are immortal if you have won at least one. It's just a little bit arbitrary if you think about it.

Regular tour events definitely matter, especially the top events, but you never know where guys are at with their respective games at tour events. Everyone who's a top player circles the four majors on the calendar at the beginning of the year and tries to peak for those events. That's why they are the gold standard.

Monty 54 professional wins (7 champions tour), 10 top 10 majors finishes. Westwood 44 professional wins, 19 top 10 majors finishes. No major wins for either. Wow.

In Westwood's case, it's hard to win a major when you can't chip.

I disagree to a point. The Majors are by far and away the biggest tournaments and should carry tons of weight. It's kind of like the Daytona 500 in NASCAR, you can win a lot of races, but if you don't win that one at least once, you'll always regret it. However, because some guys won a major or 2, they are put on a level that probably is above where they actually rank in the grand scheme of things. Take Andy North, he won only 1 regular PGA tour event, but he won 2 US Opens. Andy North was and still is to an extent a pretty well known name in golf and I bet most think he probably won far more tournaments than that. He's got more majors than Fred Couples and Davis Love III, but he was no where near the player.

I disagree to a point. The Majors are by far and away the biggest tournaments and should carry tons of weight. It's kind of like the Daytona 500 in NASCAR, you can win a lot of races, but if you don't win that one at least once, you'll always regret it. However, because some guys won a major or 2, they are put on a level that probably is above where they actually rank in the grand scheme of things. Take Andy North, he won only 1 regular PGA tour event, but he won 2 US Opens. Andy North was and still is to an extent a pretty well known name in golf and I bet most think he probably won far more tournaments than that. He's got more majors than Fred Couples and Davis Love III, but he was no where near the player.

I had no idea North only won once other than the two US Opens, and I am a PGA Tour fan. I think many players consider the Players right up there with the majors (some call it the 5th major) in terms of prestige/field quality, but no one talks about how many Players a guy has won. Speith said the most important events for him now are the PGA CHampionship and PLayers because he has yet to win either. I found it interesting he included the Players with the PGAC.

Last edited:
I had no idea North only won once other than the two US Opens, and I am a PGA Tour fan. I think many players consider the Players right up there with the majors (some call it the 5th major) in terms of prestige/field quality, but no one talks about how many Players a guy has won. Speith said the most important events for him now are the PGA CHampionship and PLayers because he has yet to win either. I found it interesting he included the Players with the PGAC.

I call The Players, "The Major, Non-Major." I think it's by far the biggest tournament outside of the majors. It has the feel of a major the way it's covered and the strength of field, but just not the title of a major. Which is fine, I think it can stand on it's own. At some point, maybe it becomes the fifth major, which is not unprecedented as the LPGA tour and Champions Tour each now have 5 "majors." Personally I like it just as it is.

Crazy that the Dustin Johnson ho-hum putt on 18 was worth like $500,000.

I agree. And in majors, you're going to hit fewer greens, which puts more of an emphasis on chipping. That said, Martin Kaymer waves hello.

When I saw his name at the top again I thought great, another random Martin Kaymer major victory. Next day I kept searching for his name and couldn't find him anywhere on the leaderboard. I had to scroll damn near the bottom to find him. The dude fired an 82 on Friday. Wild stuff.

Yeah, Kaymer missed the cut.

Probably not fair to put him in the same category as some of those guys because he plays and wins a lot in Europe. He also won The Players.

I agree. And in majors, you're going to hit fewer greens, which puts more of an emphasis on chipping. That said, Martin Kaymer waves hello.

His win at Pinehurst required almost no chipping. He putted from everywhere. His PGA at Whistling Straits on the other hand...how the fuck did he manage that? It's a Pete Dye course and you're gonna have some insane shots around the greens.

His win at Pinehurst required almost no chipping. He putted from everywhere. His PGA at Whistling Straits on the other hand...how the fuck did he manage that? It's a Pete Dye course and you're gonna have some insane shots around the greens.

Kaymer seems to have that ability to look like a world beater on rare occasions, while most of the time looking like a journeyman pro.

By the way, other suck of the Covid situation is Koepka is playing the Wyndam and there will be no fans. Of course, I guess if it wasn't for the Covid situation, he probably wouldn't be in the situation of needing Fedex Cup points this late and wouldn't be playing the Wyndam anyway.

Last edited:
BPTNHWM gotta be Rahm now, he's better than Fowler and Finau, and Dechambeau to this point. I'd say Bryson is right behind him though.

I call The Players, "The Major, Non-Major." I think it's by far the biggest tournament outside of the majors. It has the feel of a major the way it's covered and the strength of field, but just not the title of a major. Which is fine, I think it can stand on it's own. At some point, maybe it becomes the fifth major, which is not unprecedented as the LPGA tour and Champions Tour each now have 5 "majors." Personally I like it just as it is.

Players purse is larger than the Masters, PGA and British Open I believe. Definitely is a bigger tourney than every other non-major.

ETA: Webb has to have a borderline HOF career right now. A US Open, a Players Championship and 7 wins. 10 wins he becomes a lock. Very nice career for him.

Last edited:

Yeah, he Texas wedges it whenever remotely possible. I forget how he won at Whistling Straits. Must have hit a lot of greens that week. And DJ didn't realize he was in a bunker on 18, otherwise DJ would have been the playoff. But Kaymer hasn't done much on the Euro tour the last few years. He has largely disappeared since that complete meltdown on the back 9 of either Abu Dhabi or Dubai where he blew that 6 shot lead. Probably the worst golfer to have won 2.5 majors. Has always seemed like a really nice guy, though.

BPTNHWM gotta be Rahm now, he's better than Fowler and Finau, and Dechambeau to this point. I'd say Bryson is right behind him though.

Rahm and DeChambeau have only been around like 3 years, so I'd cut them some slack, though I agree they're both superior to Fowler and Finau.

Damo, I think Webb will get to 10. It took him a few years to adjust to the shorter putter, but now that he again has a reliable putting stroke, he's going to win a few more. Not sure that he'll win more majors, however. His lack of length really hurts him on courses like Harding, Shinnecock and Bethpage. Winged Foot is only like 7K yards, though I'm guessing it'll probably be played as a par 70 instead of the 72 it says on the scorecard. And Monty contended there the last time, and he wasn't a long hitter. So maybe that will be a good venue for Webb.

Back