• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Players purse is larger than the Masters, PGA and British Open I believe. Definitely is a bigger tourney than every other non-major.

ETA: Webb has to have a borderline HOF career right now. A US Open, a Players Championship and 7 wins. 10 wins he becomes a lock. Very nice career for him.

It feels like he has won more than 7 times; Bill Haas has won 6. I agree with cville that he gets to 10. Excellent career for Webb.

Augusta National announced this morning that there will be no Patrons in attendance for November's Masters.

Rich Beem is a name I still recognize for some reason.

Paul Lowrie is only famous in context of Jean Van de Velde and the most epic collapse I have ever seen in golf history.

Beemer is one of the announcers for Sky TV golf and has made a few cuts in the PGA Championship lately. He's going to make bank on the senior tour soon.

I disagree to a point. The Majors are by far and away the biggest tournaments and should carry tons of weight. It's kind of like the Daytona 500 in NASCAR, you can win a lot of races, but if you don't win that one at least once, you'll always regret it. However, because some guys won a major or 2, they are put on a level that probably is above where they actually rank in the grand scheme of things. Take Andy North, he won only 1 regular PGA tour event, but he won 2 US Opens. Andy North was and still is to an extent a pretty well known name in golf and I bet most think he probably won far more tournaments than that. He's got more majors than Fred Couples and Davis Love III, but he was no where near the player.

Oh I understand how the majors are thought of in terms of careers. I played professional golf for a few years (resulting in an embarrassing pro career) and spent years traveling the country playing junior and amateur golf events. And played at Wake. I've tried to qualify for majors by whatever route I could dream up, dreaming of just getting to play in one. I mean I understand all of it, but to me it's just gotten to be extreme. Majors are the only thing talked about in golf and it is now like all the players really just base their schedules and game around the majors. they are certainly important - but I just think over the years it has gotten more and more extreme and has reached the point of being a little much in terms of how we rate a player's career.

Oh I understand how the majors are thought of in terms of careers. I played professional golf for a few years (resulting in an embarrassing pro career) and spent years traveling the country playing junior and amateur golf events. And played at Wake. I've tried to qualify for majors by whatever route I could dream up, dreaming of just getting to play in one. I mean I understand all of it, but to me it's just gotten to be extreme. Majors are the only thing talked about in golf and it is now like all the players really just base their schedules and game around the majors. they are certainly important - but I just think over the years it has gotten more and more extreme and has reached the point of being a little much in terms of how we rate a player's career.

I certainly don't completely disagree and see your point. It does seem the majors are more of the focus now and I think the Tiger Woods effect has caused like. I think by today's standards, you'd certainly have to say 2 greats of the 80's and 90's had disappointing careers in winning only one major each, Fred Couples and Davis Love III.

John Daly says hi. Twice.

John Daly had as much or more talent than about anybody, the problem was John Daly was stood in his own way too much. There's a story about when Daly and Tiger were playing in a tournament and Daly was in the lounge with some people having a few drinks and maybe a bite to eat and Tiger comes walking through on his way to practice. Daly said to Tiger to join them and that he didn't need to practice so hard and Tiger said, "if I had your talent, I wouldn't need to practice." If Daly had the makeup to have been very focused and a hard worker, he'd have been stupid good.

Know some Gastonia folks who have played with Harold and his dad over the years, and they just love the kid.

He put up a 62 at the Wyndam this morning, currently a shot back of Tom Hoge. Would love to see HVIII run away with the thing.

Rich Beem is a name I still recognize for some reason.

Paul Lowrie is only famous in context of Jean Van de Velde and the most epic collapse I have ever seen in golf history.

Beem seemed like just a fun guy to be around. Sort of like Fuzzy Zoeller, before he tried to be too funny.

Bill 4-putts 16 for double to drop back to +2 after making 2 straight birdies. He will need a strong round tomorrow to make the cut.

He still has the all-time money winner exemption, correct? He may need it next year as he currently sits outside the top-200.

Former UNC-G golfer who transferred to the SEC was playing in the round of 16 at the US Amateur, apprarently using a local caddy, loses the match on the final hole.

Last edited:
Matthew Sharpstene is still in it. Local kid from Huntersville. His dad used to be the asst pro at my club. Would love to see Matthew win.

And Tom Hoge is originally from Statesviille NC.

Last edited:
Was watching some of the Am the last couple of days just to see what Bandon looked like - very cool course. Also saw a bit of the Euros at Celtic Manor and the women at Renaissance. Renaissance and Gullane are the 2 least scenic seaside courses to host the Scottish. Castle Stuart and Dundonald are much cooler looking.

Former UNC-G golfer who transferred to the SEC was playing in the round of 16 at the US Amateur, apprarently using a local caddy, loses the match on the final hole.

He was probably going to lose the hole anyway, but still a raw deal. Although the winner is a Georgia Tech player - Jacket Pride!!!

Back