• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

My wife worked with Greg Norman for a few years back in the mid and late 90s. He was a really nice guy back then and was good to everyone that he worked with. We never heard of anyone there that didnt really like him. I'm surprised at how he has seemed to come off recently. I guess things went to his head as he got older and more successful and rich. Disappointing.

I think he wanted no part of the media with Alan Shipnuck's book coming out. Sounds like there is a Billy Walters book going even further into his gambling issues coming soon as well.

I think Mickelson could have survived the Saudi stuff with a mea culpa tour, which is why to me it feels like this is a self imposed exile because he realizes the really bad personal stuff is still to come.

This is the most likely scenario. Webb needs to get off that cancel culture nonsense.

PGA Tour doesn't run the PGA Championship so even if he's suspended it wouldn't necessarily apply here. Maybe his game is off the deep end.

Likely scenario is he's signed up to play the LIV golf events and the one in June will be his return to competitive golf.

PGA Tour doesn't run the PGA Championship so even if he's suspended it wouldn't necessarily apply here. Maybe his game is off the deep end.

Likely scenario is he's signed up to play the LIV golf events and the one in June will be his return to competitive golf.

I agree that's he's probably targeting the first LIV event for his return. The No Laying Up guys were guessing that it would be easier for him to deal with the media there, but I'm not so sure that'll be the case given the questions they threw at Norman during the most recent presser.

The Tour and PGA of America are in lock step on the Saudi stuff, so I think a suspension would have applied.

Ridley said at Augusta that he was invited and could have played there - but he chose not to. I agree most likely scenario is that he shows up in London in June for LIV which probably makes him the lead plaintiff in the suit against the PGA Tour. He has 4 years of exemptions left into all of the majors.

I’ve got to admit I didn’t think Phil would take the hit he’s taken from all this. I thought he’d take his medicine and be back this weekend.

He's taken a hit in some circles but not all circles. I've watched some youtube videos on LIV, Phil and Greg that have mostly been critical of all 3. But then I'll check out the comments section and have been somewhat surprised at the large number of people defending Phil and attacking the PGA. They use a lot of whataboutisms and regurgitate things Phil and Greg are claiming as if they're true. The other thing I find interesting is they'll say is what is wrong with playing in Saudi Arabia when all the other golfers like Rory will play in the UAE - as if there is no difference between between those 2 governments. Essentially, it's the MAGA crowd golf fans that are still solidly in his corner. I do get the point that we are being selectively outraged at Phil, whereas we're not outraged at Nicklaus for building courses there or at golfers like Harold Varner and Bubba Watson for taking appearance fees for playing there. Hell, I celebrated when Varner hit that 92' putt there a couple months back. Is the difference that taking an appearance fee is like having a couple of beers with the Saudis whereas taking $42mil and drawing up the new by-laws for LIV is climbing in bed with them?

Aside from the selective moral outrage aspect of it, I think the real issue that all the PGA golfers who have opined on the issue and have been critical of Phil is that he is trying to take money out of their pockets by creating a rival league that, if successful, would drive down PGA and DP purses. As 1 of the guys from Live From pointed out last night, while Tiger has had his off-course issues, he's still popular with the other guys on the tour because he's been contrite, and they realize he's the reason their paychecks have been the size that they are. Whereas Phil's apology was solely to LIV, and now he wants to drive down the paychecks for tour members.

As for the viability of the LIV tour, to me it looks like you could call it the Has Been tour with guys like Phil, Garrigus (who?), Westwood, Poulter and Scott being the type of guys who are going to bolt for it. Maybe Webb too given his comments. And it sounds like all of the young guns and guys in their prime are sticking with the PGA and DP. I'm hopeful that means it won't be successful and that its ratings will not affect the PGA and DP. I wonder who will televise the LIV, probably Fox Sports, and how much TGC will end up covering it v. boycotting it. I plan on not watching any of the LIV, and I'm hoping a general lack of enthusiasm for it causes it to be a cash drain for the Saudis that they give up on after a couple of years or so.

Man, so many good headlines this week aside from the Stupid LIV Golf Tour. Tiger back and saying he feels much stronger than at Augusta. Can Scottie continue his incredible run? JT and Spieth on top of their game and in their primes.

The Tour and PGA of America are in lock step on the Saudi stuff, so I think a suspension would have applied.

Ridley said at Augusta that he was invited and could have played there - but he chose not to. I agree most likely scenario is that he shows up in London in June for LIV which probably makes him the lead plaintiff in the suit against the PGA Tour. He has 4 years of exemptions left into all of the majors.

Oh yeah, Phil will be the lead plaintiff, and the next time we'll see him is in London. I don't like the chances of LIV in court. That said, Monahan should be smart about this and issue appropriate suspensions for those who opt to play on the LIV, as opposed to lifetime bans. As for what is appropriate, I'd say that he should suspend them for the calendar year that they play on the LIV and a year or 2 beyond that.

He's taken a hit in some circles but not all circles. I've watched some youtube videos on LIV, Phil and Greg that have mostly been critical of all 3. But then I'll check out the comments section and have been somewhat surprised at the large number of people defending Phil and attacking the PGA. They use a lot of whataboutisms and regurgitate things Phil and Greg are claiming as if they're true. The other thing I find interesting is they'll say is what is wrong with playing in Saudi Arabia when all the other golfers like Rory will play in the UAE - as if there is no difference between between those 2 governments. Essentially, it's the MAGA crowd golf fans that are still solidly in his corner. I do get the point that we are being selectively outraged at Phil, whereas we're not outraged at Nicklaus for building courses there or at golfers like Harold Varner and Bubba Watson for taking appearance fees for playing there. Hell, I celebrated when Varner hit that 92' putt there a couple months back. Is the difference that taking an appearance fee is like having a couple of beers with the Saudis whereas taking $42mil and drawing up the new by-laws for LIV is climbing in bed with them?

Aside from the selective moral outrage aspect of it, I think the real issue that all the PGA golfers who have opined on the issue and have been critical of Phil is that he is trying to take money out of their pockets by creating a rival league that, if successful, would drive down PGA and DP purses. As 1 of the guys from Live From pointed out last night, while Tiger has had his off-course issues, he's still popular with the other guys on the tour because he's been contrite, and they realize he's the reason their paychecks have been the size that they are. Whereas Phil's apology was solely to LIV, and now he wants to drive down the paychecks for tour members.

As for the viability of the LIV tour, to me it looks like you could call it the Has Been tour with guys like Phil, Garrigus (who?), Westwood, Poulter and Scott being the type of guys who are going to bolt for it. Maybe Webb too given his comments. And it sounds like all of the young guns and guys in their prime are sticking with the PGA and DP. I'm hopeful that means it won't be successful and that its ratings will not affect the PGA and DP. I wonder who will televise the LIV, probably Fox Sports, and how much TGC will end up covering it v. boycotting it. I plan on not watching any of the LIV, and I'm hoping a general lack of enthusiasm for it causes it to be a cash drain for the Saudis that they give up on after a couple of years or so.

I've learned to never underestimate the old white guy crowd, or more recently the middle aged aspirational clout white guy crowd.

Save for Adam Scott, the list of guys that are planning to join the LIV are sort of the dicks of golf: Phil, Garrigus (known dick), Sergio, and Poulter. I think that might say a lot.

FWIW, there is a Major teeing off on Thursday. So, many top players in form:

- Scheffler: 3 wins, including the Masters, since March
- Rahm: coming off a win in the Mexico Open
- Cam Smith: two wins and 3rd in the Masters in 2022
- Speith: a win at the Heritage, and 2nd in the Byron Nelson in his last two starts
- Cantlay: coming off a 2nd at the Heritage and a win New Orleans
- JT: top 5 last week
- Rory: 2nd in the Masters (best finishing round); top 5 in the Wells Fargo
- Xander: two top 5 last two tournaments
- Hidecki: 3rd last week; healthy again

Of course, Tiger is in the field, and won the last PGA played at Southern Hills. All of the OK State guys, are familiar with the course.

Apparently, wind will be a factor. Gusts could be as high as 40 MPH during the event. Luck could be a factor for the tee times for the first two rounds.

Got a feeling Hidecki will be in the mix late on Sunday.

I like Gooch for a possible top 10 too. Played here a bit and knows how to flight it well. Only OK guy in the field.

Save for Adam Scott, the list of guys that are planning to join the LIV are sort of the dicks of golf: Phil, Garrigus (known dick), Sergio, and Poulter. I think that might say a lot.

Adding to your dick theory, Lee Westwood. And I wouldn't be surprised if Trump fan Jim Herman takes the leap because he's far from lighting up the tour and is missing a lot of cuts these days. The 1 I feel sad about who is considering it is Fowler. His game has been lost at sea for a while now. And Kevin Na issued a non-denial denial a while back. He's a career journeyman, but he's been playing the best golf of his life the last 2-3 years.

Disappointing Adam Scott appears to be going the LIV route - not a known dick like the others, has made a ton of $, and his game remains pretty competitive. I'd be interested to hear his reasons for joining. His Tour bio says he lives in Switzerland and plays out of Australia, fwiw: https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.24502.adam-scott.html

I honestly don't know why anyone who had ever had any success on the PGA tour would jump to this other tour. If you have not had success on the PGA and need the money, sure. But any player that has had multi-year success on the Tour does not need the money.

Who cares if you win the blankety-blank championship in London on the LIV tour? Winning the Canadian open or at Pebble Beach or Riviera or Bay Hill - those tourneys mean something beyond the money. They have history and prestige. Obviously you don't even have to mention the 4 majors.

"Doesn't matter, got paid"

Back