• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Well don't I look stupid.

I'd guess DJ is being advised to take the $125MM and roll the dice the lawsuit wins or the PGA Tour backs down and he gets both the $125MM and the ability to play both tours. Hell, that might be the way I would play it myself.

Yeah - by Paulina

Yeah, I think it makes perfect sense for DJ. Get paid 125-150M guaranteed. Make probably triple the prize money for half the tournaments. Still get to play in the majors which I’m sure are the only events he cares about anyway at this point in the career. Still have the potential of winning the lawsuit and playing on the PGA tour. Probably no drug testing. In addition, I’m sure the whole moral dilemma surrounding this tour is not something that really registers on his radar, and given his reputation for not exactly being the deepest thinker on tour, probably gets a pass and doesn’t take that big of a PR hit from the fans for making the jump.

Ahhhh, the whole "he's too dumb to know he's doing anything wrong" gambit.

Don't think anyone playing in LIV events are forfeiting their chance to play in majors:

- The Masters works with the PGA Tour on scheduling, but it is not a PGA Tour event
- US Open is run by the USGA
- The Open Championship is run the R&A
- Not positive, but even the PGA Championship is a separate event run by the PGA of America

The PGA Tour collaborates with those organizations, but is a separate entity; that's why those events negotiate separate TV contracts, as opposed to typical PGA Tour events which are negotiated together. They run the rank and file PGA events during the season the biggest being the The Players Championship at Sawgrass and the Tour Championship.

Don't think anyone expects the USGA, R&A, Masters or even the PGA of America to exclude players from their events who otherwise qualify. That said, over time not playing on the PGA Tour may limit a players ability to qualify for majors unless those organizations recognize the results of LIV events as qualifying them for majors.

LOL at the thought that the Majors are going to let guys play in their tournaments who bailed on the PGA Tour with the express intent on possibly wrecking it.

Talor Gooch is the biggest surprise to me.

Everyone else, including DJ, are on the downside of their career, but has made a ton of money and can handle a suspension or even a lifetime ban from the tour. Gooch is 30; he has many years as a PGA player ahead of him. Maybe the LIV takes off, but maybe it craters after the year, and what is Gooch left with?

PGA is not going to just let his go. They will ban Gooch, Na, DJ, Oostie... everyone else and a lawsuit will follow. An early tell about the direction of this is whether the players will be able to play in PGA events while the suit proceeds (via injunctive relief) as the suit will take a while to resolve.

Gooch is surprising to me too - also because he's good friends with Max Homa and Homa has been making fun of LIV for months (and claiming he hasn't been approach to play in it at all)

RBC drops sponsorship of Dustin Johnson and Graeme McDowell.

LOL at the thought that the Majors are going to let guys play in their tournaments who bailed on the PGA Tour with the express intent on possibly wrecking it.

I can see the PGA Championship keeping people out. I don’t see the Masters, especially to a former champ in DJ. And, anyone can participate in the US Open and British Open if they qualify.

I can see the PGA Championship keeping people out. I don’t see the Masters, especially to a former champ in DJ. And, anyone can participate in the US Open and British Open if they qualify.

and the PGA is the weakest of them all

could actually hurt the PGA if the other majors let everyone play

Wouldn't be surprised to see DJ and Gooch to pull out before the first tournament once the PGA Tour makes the consequences known. I really have no idea what lawsuit would have any legs here - it's awful media coverage to keep repeating the idea that the PGA Tour is preventing these guys from playing. LIV has expressly said they want to compete with the PGA Tour. Nobody is stopping anyone from playing on either tour. But if they want to ban them, drop their status, eliminate exemptions and make them Monday qualify - there's no way a court is going to step in and dictate how they run their business at that level. Players already had to request permission for non-tour events and were only allowed a few each year - nobody's winning a lawsuit over this.

And the money is good, probably double or triple depending on how you look at it - but this is an absolute cash grab to start with the shakiest of backers behind it. $4M to first, $120k to last plus some team nonsense - Na has made around $1.7M in straight winnings plus plenty more in benefits and sponsors. Yeah, if he wins it's huge, but middle of the pack isn't changing his life much money-wise. I get it for the old Euro guys - they've been playing the Race for Dubai and all over the Middle East for years. The Euro/DP tour pays out like a third of the PGA Tour. They already have to let their stars play on the PGA Tour because they're 2nd fiddle. It's not much of a stretch. And I get it for young guys without status comparing it to a potential grind through the Korn Ferry.

But if just a couple big names like DJ and Gooch reconsider, the first tourney gets nearly zero public interest and the whole shotgun start short course nonsense falls flat... The Saudis are really going to keep paying a bunch of nobody's and old farts transitioning to the senior tour $50M+ for a trash product? And when cracks start to show and questions about actual payouts start popping up, the PGA will probably push out a one-time forgiveness offer or something... Plus they'll keep raising their prize money, social media race cash, sponsor races, FedEx Cup payouts, the incredible quasi-pension for the players - I just don't believe they will keep throwing money at this long enough to make it anything more than a short-term cash grab.

Stranger things have happened, but I think they needed more than just DJ and a couple "oh yeah that guy" defectors to have any chance, and they didn't get there.

The Saudis have fuck it money. They can operate at a loss for a long time as long as they’re gaining influence. They’re probably hoping to turn anti-institution MAGA types against the PGA Tour as well.

Yeah. We just saw the reigning PGA Championship winner and one of the most popular players in the game not show under mysterious circumstances. Not hard to understand defectors won’t be welcome.

Yeah, did it go unmentioned here that DJ is making this big LIV reveal by way of skipping the RBC tourney on the PGA Tour? Really unbelievable to treat a sponsor that has paid you like that.

Wow.

and the PGA is the weakest of them all

could actually hurt the PGA if the other majors let everyone play

Yeah, excluding players gives LIV an opportunity to unseat the PGA Championship as the fourth major. Dangerous game.

Also, the FedEx Cup is a great way to keep attention on the Tour later in the season, but it may be a good idea to double the purse for distribution to the winner and everyone else because there are some lame events in the late summer.

Just catching up on the tread. I’ve Sid before as others have the Saudi’s have fuck you money, they don’t need an ROI for years to come. Under what they’re doing which PH said, sports washing. The Saudis aren’t trying to compete w the PGA Tour, they can’t. What they want to do is offer golf in a slightly different way to see if they can build interest.

For those saying DJ is a has been, well that’s just dumb..13th ranked player in the world. I think you could see guys like Varner and Fowler make the move, one is playing the best golf of his life and still can’t win a tournament and the other will soon lose status. Cville - what the hell do you mean that the only people who care abt to watch this tour is the MAGA crowd. In case you haven’t noticed most of the players, staff and officials of the PGA tour are conservative GOP. I’m pretty close to a few of the PGA tour events and it might not hurt the big events it could impact others.

The biggest thing w LIV is it offers generational wealth to guys under the top 50 line.

There’s never going to be more money in selling golf than there is selling oil and running a country. The Tour has a problem they can’t just ignore.

So 20 of the top 100 in the world are playing in London at this event.

The PGA Tour is going to ban 20% of the best golfers from playing forever in their events? Not only will they lose in Court. They are also running a joke of a schedule if 1/5 the best golfers can’t even play.

Doesn’t seem they can keep them out of the World Golf Events, even if they do win excluding them from Hartford and Memphis and such other outposts (my beloved greensboro included)

So DJ gets 4 majors, 4 world golf events, more golf then he can stand on LIV and the Irish & Scottish Open. And he doesn’t have to play 5 hour rounds with 3 bankers at the Wells Fargo? What am I missing here?

Sayonara Quad Cities.

There’s a big illegal enterprise here that will be apologizing and rightfully so. And it’s not Phil Mickelson.

20 playing out of the top 100 is TERRIBLE. Embarrassing. That makes it completely unwatchable - were it on TV.

The vast majority of those 100 aren't even PGA Tour members. I don't know what the PGA Tour will do if Adrian Otaegui never applies to be a PGA Tour member. I don't even understand that post above. Makes no sense. I don't know whether to laugh at it or cry.

Btw, it is 16 out of the top 100. And nobody cares about the top 100 - maybe the top 25 and there's two of those playing. And look at this pathetic list:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/golf/news/liv-golf-field-2022-dustin-johnson/szucnnlb5gctqxc6vuspbfhc#:~:text=LIV%20Golf%20announced%2042%20players,is%20also%20on%20the%20list.

Last edited:
Back