• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Would be curious to know how many other PGA players they made a run at before DJ accepted. Guessing it was quite a few. DJ has had a lot of success, but he's not the most beloved current player or one that will be terribly missed if he never plays on the PGA Tour again.

I would expect the Saudi's to force exempt players to utilize those exemptions to force any sort of issue to the forefront. Their presence in the news as a disruptor is pretty much the only positive they have going for them.

Yeah could be. Then again it could be the Howard Stern approach - for $150 million I could definitely see DJ not being allowed to play any competitive golf that wasn't the LIV Tour until their first year is done. Maybe a carve out for the majors... He's barely top 100 in the FedEx I think so no real pressure on missing it this year. He's the perfect target, a star having a down year who bombs it.

No one will care if Kevin Na goes away. I doubt anyone could pick him out of a line up much less on a golf course.

I’m barely a causal fan nowadays and I recognized him. There aren’t that many Asian-American golfers on tour.

The big question is how many golfers are that crucial to the PGA Tour vs how many are crucial to the LIV. Seems like the PGA Tour could lose more than enough guys who could sustain the LIV and still be fine.

Why do y’all think all the best Russian hockey players play in the NHL?

If the PGA tour wants to remain the premier tour in the world, at the end of the day it will just need to pay more.

while I don't want him to take blood money - I was kind of hoping LIV would be enough to get Anthony Kim golfing again

while I don't want him to take blood money - I was kind of hoping LIV would be enough to get Anthony Kim golfing again

He’s got that insurance policy in the $20mm range that voided if he draws a club back. But I’m with you. I would love to see the Saudi’s offer him enough to make it make financial sense for him to play the LiV. Word is he still has game. I imagine the issue is he would have to pay back what he has been paid up to this point if he plays a professional round. But it has been the rumor that he might get offered to do it and do it. I would watch that

I'm all in for wrecking every single monopoly in the USA. We are currently ruled by this All American form of so called capitalism. Long overdue.

So 20 of the top 100 in the world are playing in London at this event.

The PGA Tour is going to ban 20% of the best golfers from playing forever in their events? Not only will they lose in Court. They are also running a joke of a schedule if 1/5 the best golfers can’t even play.

At any given time 20% of the best golfers in the world don't event have a PGA Tour Card.

Would be curious to know how many other PGA players they made a run at before DJ accepted. Guessing it was quite a few. DJ has had a lot of success, but he's not the most beloved current player or one that will be terribly missed if he never plays on the PGA Tour again.

They made a play for Fowler, and he's considering it. Easy to see why - his game has disappeared now for quite a while.

Was watching the Porsche at the Hamburg course, and it was kicking everyone's butt today. It has 5 par 5s and par 3s, but most of the 5s aren't reachable. They were saying it could be a future Ryder Cup venue. Looking forward to some Muirfield and Pine Needles over the weekend.

Kevin Na has resigned from the PGA Tour to play for LIV. His fan must be devastated.

I have to give the PGA Tour some credit here - they said they'd do something about slow play on tour, and they managed to get Kevin Na to quit. Big step in the right direction.

Interesting decision by Na. To my knowledge, he is the only one of those that have bolted from LIV to resign from the Tour. Wonder if this means Na is not planning on mounting a legal challenge against the Tour as the PGA hasn't banned him. Na resigned on his own. Maybe Na hopes that will prevent the USGA from banning him from the US Open.

He's trying to be smart about his short-term cash grab. By resigning prior to any disciplinary actions, he moves the fight to when he tries to rejoin the PGA tour after LIV folds, instead of getting sanctioned now. Honestly this is probably the way everyone should do it - like Justin Thomas said. If you want to go, then go. It's the "I want to be a PGA Tour member while also helping a direct rival tour get off the ground" folks who suck. It'll be very hard for the PGA to hold him accountable for anything he does post-resignation. He'll start from zero if he does want to regain his card, and that's the risk he's taking.

This is why the whole "free agent" argument is such nonsense. There are plenty of free agents who play PGA tournaments. Monday qualifiers, sponsor exemptions with no status, etc. You don't have to accept a PGA Tour card and the commitments that come with it, it was just basically never a consideration to turn one down before.

The free agency legal argument seems like a bad argument to me altogether. It's very likely other sports leagues have requirements that if you play in that league or for that team, you can't play in another league too. Some regular employers even have that rule.

Sure, you can maintain your free agency status altogether, but you don't get all the benefits of playing on the tour. Just go do your own thing and play where you can.

I disagree about the law. I believe the PGA Tour will lose this battle. We will certainly find out who is right about that.

Even if the PGA Tour wins in Court, the long term reality is that if you exclude 20% (soon to be closer to 40%) of the best best players in the world, your tour is at a massive competitive disadvantage.

I guess it will be interesting to see what happens with the USGA and the European Tour. I expect they will have the position that they are supporters of golf -- not a particular random Florida corporation. I bet that view will prevail long term too. I expect you will see Na at both Brookline and St. Andrews. And that you will also see many on this list in the Scottish Open.

I was very confused to read above "No one cares about golf being played in Saudi Arabia." I checked again and, indeed, for the most part, these events will be right here in the USA. I'm looking forward to going to a couple later this year. https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/liv-golf-invitational-series-schedule-and-prize-money

You'll have some great views of some of the most mediocre fields in golf...might even have entire holes to yourself!

Two of the 8 LIV events, including the season ending final, are at Trump courses. Shocker.

I have to give the PGA Tour some credit here - they said they'd do something about slow play on tour, and they managed to get Kevin Na to quit. Big step in the right direction.

Can they send Horschel to the LIV too ?

I disagree about the law. I believe the PGA Tour will lose this battle. We will certainly find out who is right about that.

Even if the PGA Tour wins in Court, the long term reality is that if you exclude 20% (soon to be closer to 40%) of the best best players in the world, your tour is at a massive competitive disadvantage.

I guess it will be interesting to see what happens with the USGA and the European Tour. I expect they will have the position that they are supporters of golf -- not a particular random Florida corporation. I bet that view will prevail long term too. I expect you will see Na at both Brookline and St. Andrews. And that you will also see many on this list in the Scottish Open.

I was very confused to read above "No one cares about golf being played in Saudi Arabia." I checked again and, indeed, for the most part, these events will be right here in the USA. I'm looking forward to going to a couple later this year. https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/liv-golf-invitational-series-schedule-and-prize-money

You'll fit right in with that crowd Donnie.

Impressed that Alex Fitzpatrick turned down the LIV tour and a minimum $2.25M payout and also turned pro anyway. Shows character, hope he finds some early success.

Back