• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

For the amount of money at stake, the LIV field looks awful. Worse than a run-of-the-mill European Tour event. DJ is the headliner and he has fallen off a bit recently. Phil is 51. Rickie has faded fast. Graeme McDowell, Lee Westwood, and Sergio Garcia? Please.

Chase Koepka? The only PGA Tour start he could get was as his brother's teammate in New Orleans.

The only hope for LIV is that its gazillions of dollars eventually draw enough good players to make its product halfway palatable. Otherwise the Saudis are just throwing their money away (which is their absolute right, no dispute).

LK, just keep telling your self this is the end of who will be joining LIV.

And it won't miss Sergio because Sergio will be playing. As will DJ because the PGA tour has just been bluffing. They won't ruin their golden goose by excluding half the best players.

LIV just laid out high 9 figures in signing bonuses and got an idiot who hasn't won since November 2020, a neurotic little slow playing twit who actually made Grayson Murray a sympathetic figure, a narcissistic bullshit artist, all of team UPS, a poor man's Harris English, and the wrong Koepka brother.

Great business model.

But hey we can all tune in on YouTube to watch Karen Stupples' husband call the action.

it's a joke but it's providing golf twitter lots of great content. the key will be 3-4 events in, or 1 year in, when someone like James Piot, who hasn't ever even broken par in a pro start I believe, wins or finishes high and wins like $2-3 million. Will more top players follow?

also fwiw, DJ isn't even sniffing the President's Cup team as of today's standings. And if the Ryder Cup team needs someone to annoy the Europeans, we have Billy Horschel or Kevin Kisner for that role, so thanks but no thanks Kevin Na

Who exactly is the European squad left? Rory, Rose and Poulter? (I bet 1 or 2 of those will be playing in LIV events shortly)

God the last 48 hours of this thread have been class. DR taking his shit for brains shtick to the next level is a sight to behold.

For the record, I actually really like the team aspect once they drop the cheezy names. Seems like having equipment manufacturers field teams and compete for prizes similar to constructors in F1 could be an entertaining value add.

Beyond that I will enjoy watching this venture burn to the ground.

what is the Saudi's play here?

is it just global goodwill thing to or a prestige cultural play?

because it cannot be a money-making operation

it's a joke but it's providing golf twitter lots of great content. the key will be 3-4 events in, or 1 year in, when someone like James Piot, who hasn't ever even broken par in a pro start I believe, wins or finishes high and wins like $2-3 million. Will more top players follow?

also fwiw, DJ isn't even sniffing the President's Cup team as of today's standings. And if the Ryder Cup team needs someone to annoy the Europeans, we have Billy Horschel or Kevin Kisner for that role, so thanks but no thanks Kevin Na

DeacHawk, your post makes a good point but I think you just described in bold why LIV will fail. That guy wins and you prove what a shitty tour it is. It's just an exhibition tour and nobody cares about what's on exhibit.

Pick 48 Korn Ferry tour players and have them play in this event and I guarantee you the winner comes from the Korn Ferry tour and the avg finish will be tons better.

Last edited:
Who exactly is the European squad left? Rory, Rose and Poulter? (I bet 1 or 2 of those will be playing in LIV events shortly)

with or without LIV, it was Rahm, Rory, Hovland, Fitzpatrick, Fleetwood. Maybe a Molinari/Rose and then players no one has heard of.

Westwood and Poulter were likely to never make a team again. The only loss as of now is Sergio and he's got maybe 1 more Ryder Cup left before he's done.

DeacHawk, your post makes a good point but I think you just described in bold why LIV will fail. That guy wins and you prove what a shitty tour it is. It's just an exhibition tour and nobody cares about what's on exhibit.

Pick 48 Korn Ferry tour players and have them play in this even and I guarantee you the winner comes from the Korn Ferry tour and the avg finish will be tons better.

agreed. I'm a big PGA Tour fan, and for the most part the product sucks. TV's inability to cover tournaments well is a big part of this. LIV very well could split things into two tours, so the field's will be even worse for both, making even die hard fans care less except for the majors.

to LK's point on the teams, I like that idea too but I think they are doing new teams each tournament which seems stupid, IMO

Perhaps this has already been discussed, but what's up with the shotgun starts? That's great for the Saturday AM MGA tournament at the local club, but a real deal pro event? I assume they are doing it to be more player friendly? "Hey, you always tee off at 10am - and you're done by 2:30! Oh wait, Kevin Na signed on - make that 3:30." But I can't imagine anything worse for fan excitement. Two guys are tied for the lead with one hole to play, and one guy is on the par 3 5th hole and the other is on the par 5 13th hole? That sucks for both in-person and TV viewing. And then there is the manufactured "team" thing? Personally I think all the little gimmicky things they are trying is even worse than the pitiful field they have established. It's more goofy than the silly little off-season tournaments that fill the airways around the holidays. If this fails, maybe Norman and the Saudis can start a one billion dollar NFL QB golf league?

So putting aside the prediction hot takes and judgments about the murderous sexist shitbags in Saudi Arabia, time to check out this garbage tournament field and get ready for some nonsense.

From what I gather, today all the team captains are going to do a live snake draft to pick their 4 man teams. Of course, nobody's heard of any of these guys outside of the top 15 probably - and I'd bet a lot of money that DJ has no idea who Blake Windred or Ian Snyman are. But soon he'll be drafting 3 of those nobody's because everyone with a recognizable name is a captain. Along with Wade Ormsby who is so random that even the LIV Tour misspelled his name in their official Twitter release.

The team names definitely have the look of "I don't care just pick a word" level of effort except for Poulter. Will he go with Ryosuke Kinohsita or SadomKaewkanjana!? I know everyone is on the edge of their seats to find out. Will the SMASH beat the PUNCH?! What will their team uniforms look like? Considering it's an individual tournament and the "team" aspect is a scorecard-only affair since everyone will finish at the same time, will Sergio even be able to name his teammates Saturday afternoon? Doubtful.

Also nice to see a complete disregard for golf course design by taking the shotgun start approach like your local charity scramble! Who doesn't want to start their million dollar tournament on the #1 handicap hole on the course? And that means the entire tournament will kick off at the same time on all tee boxes simultaneously regardless of scoring. Thankfully it's a big budget production via Youtube streaming combined with seasoned, veteran announcers. What could go wrong?

As we get set to kick off this spectacle, even the families are getting into it. Check out the players' wives in their first photo shoo embracing the culture!

5358f5a683693.jpg

The team thing makes no sense because they are going to draft every week, how stupid is that. It only works if you keep some continuity.

Shotgun starts are dumb as well, you have no real basis on how players are doing because to know what stretches of the course they've played will be a math quiz.

James Piot is the current US Amateur champion. He is 23 years old and turned Professional last month.

Ya'll are saying he should have done more by now? Done what more? Win on the PGA tour? Make the cut at the Masters?

Ya'll are saying the guy is trash. So funny.

James Piot is the current US Amateur champion. He is 23 years old and turned Professional last month.

Ya'll are saying he should have done more by now? Done what more? Win on the PGA tour? Make the cut at the Masters?

Ya'll are saying the guy is trash. So funny.

I would like him to break par in an event round. Maybe his LIV contract gets him a bonus if that happens!

I mean, James Piot has played in 5 PGA Tour events this year. He's missed the cut in all 5 and hasn't posted a round under par yet.

So yeah, if your argument is that he's a strong piece of a competitive professional golf field, he could have done more.

I mean, James Piot has played in 5 PGA Tour events this year. He's missed the cut in all 5 and hasn't posted a round under par yet.

So yeah, if your argument is that he's a strong piece of a competitive professional golf field, he could have done more.

Not to mention that he didn't even qualify for the NCAA's. Finished T-29 in his regional - 10 strokes behind the winner.

Back