• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

For a guy who is a great driver and a sketchy wedge hitter, it was nice to see Rory close out a tourney on a Sunday where he hooked a couple of drives and stiffed a few wedges. That final group and Rose's round were impressive.

Look, I couldn't agree more LIV is horrible for the game. Why? Because it splits the best players onto different tours, of course. And that's the real reason everyone else hates it too.

But the PGA Tour's strategy here has been the worst--and they are doubling down on such a horrible strategy:

Their strategy is:

1) The folks who can destroy us with money are really evil. The Saudi leadership is evil
2) You people taking it should be ashamed of yourself. Look at you, you have to apologize. PGA Tour never told anyone to apologize
3) We are in charge and we will punish you. The PGA Tour is, in fact, in charge of the PGA Tour. I still dont understand why you dont understand this one simple thing

Predictably this did not work. It only creates resentment from the players (By enforcing the rules of the PGA Tour it PREVENTS resentment from PGA Tour players) and the Saudis who are now loading up for more and more (more of what? Players? They are close to getting all they are going to get, and besides DJ it has been good riddance).

The strategy all along -- and now ought be:

1) You are free to go play where you want. We will grant you permission as we have in the past. OMG, I just cant take this nonsense anymore. They ARE free to go play anywhere they want!! They just cant play the PGA Tour.
2) We will be here when you want to come back if you are otherwise eligible. Absolutely stupid suggestion. Just STUPID. The PGA Tour has to be loyal to its members and organizations it is connected to.
3) We believe our history and exposure makes us the best tour in the world. Ummmmm
4) We will continue paying the sizable purses we can afford to pay and we believe it will allow us to sustain oursleves over the long haul. Yay, you got one right!
5) It's certainly exciting how much interest there is in the game. This will allow even more spots for young pros. And there are so many great players to support those spots! You got this one right, but you didn't realize you were making an argument FOR the PGA Tour to handle this the way they are

By creating and us v. them split, the PGA Tour picked a battle they never needed to pick. And now they are doubling down on it. They are challenging Mike Tyson to a fight. I can't even...

Holy shit this is frustrating. I mean, none of that is real. I hope you aren't a trial lawyer.

The funniest thing about this is that if the PGA Tour didn't suspend players for going to play the LIV, the LIV wouldn't need to dole out the big bucks (mainly the up front cash) to get players to come play their events. Tons of players would play those events occasionally just for a quick cash grab. Damn I love how Monhan is handling this. Not that he had any other option.

Last edited:
C’mon man.

pomp·ous
/ˈpämpəs/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important.

Do you think I don't know what pompous means? I'm asking what is so pompous about golf, specifically. All sports take themselves more seriously than they should when questioned or threatened. In the end, they are all just games that grown men get to play for way too much money - and we as fans also take them way more seriously than we should.

I mean, I love golf and value that I grew up a public course player (and I miss the US Pub Links Am) - but golf was invented in 1744 and pompous was added to the English language shortly thereafter so we'd have a way to describe it.

Do you think I don't know what pompous means? I'm asking what is so pompous about golf, specifically. All sports take themselves more seriously than they should when questioned or threatened. In the end, they are all just games that grown men get to play for way too much money - and we as fans also take them way more seriously than we should.

i'm not sure you do know what pompous means if you're asking this question

Last edited:
The funniest thing about this is that if the PGA Tour didn't suspend players for going to play the LIV, the LIV wouldn't need to dole out the big bucks (mainly the up front cash) to get players to come play their events.

Exactly my point. With no massive payouts up front, this wouldn't be near as big a deal.

The PGA Tour, alone, has created a massive divide in golf -- pushed by old school Wake Forest thinking.

What in the world does 72 holes have to do with anything. Why is that more noble than 54 or 90? It's not. It's just the way things have been for our lifetimes. And, therefore, some attribute false respect for it as some magic number.

MwlpKw.gif

Exactly my point. With no massive payouts up front, this wouldn't be near as big a deal.

The PGA Tour, alone, has created a massive divide in golf -- pushed by old school Wake Forest thinking.

What in the world does 72 holes have to do with anything. Why is that more noble than 54 or 90? It's not. It's just the way things have been for our lifetimes. And, therefore, some attribute false respect for it as some magic number.

My favorite part about your posting style is you find a way to work in a good dig on the Deacs in most of your arguments. Keep on keeping on.

My favorite part about your posting style is you find a way to work in a good dig on the Deacs in most of your arguments. Keep on keeping on.

You are correct. The views on this topic are so predictable among Wake Forest alums.

Everything is fine. The PGA tour will is 72 holes so everyone else sucks. Coach K is an evil cheater and that is why Duke wins. Head in sand.

Yeah Wake Forest thinking seems to flow through the vast majority of people in the world who see life as something greater than who can make the most money regardless of what needs to be done to accomplish it.

Way too much time is being spent responding to a guy, DR, posting on the WF Sports Board, who relentlessly attacks anything and everything that WF does, and now "Wake Forest thinking" is being used to explain why the LIV Tour will destroy the PGA Tour. Yes, you are a smart, and we are stupid.

DR is obviously two steps ahead of the rest of us. Wish him well on his future endeavors with the prescient few that can think on his level. Hope he enjoys July in Riyadh.

On to the US Ope:

Will be very interesting to see what the USGA does with Brookline. It's not super-long (less than 7300), but has some really interesting holes. #3 is a 500 yard par 5 with a fairway that is only 10 yards wide at one point. One of the two par 5s, #14, is 617 yards, and is dead uphill. #17 is a shortish Par 4 (370 yards) and the hole is best known for the bomb putt that Justin Leonard hit to win the 1999 Ryder Cup.

Here are the DraftKings odds on the top 10 players in the field:

Rory 10 to 1
JT 11 to 1
Rahm 12 to 1
Scheffler 14 to 1
Xander Schauffele 15 to 1 (finished 7th or better in the last 5 US Opens)
Cantlay 20 to 1
Cam Smith 22 to 1
DJ 28 to 1
Speith 28 to 1
Fitzpatrick 30 to 1

Last edited:
Professional level question dodging by Mickelson in this presser.

Not sure if OJ had a quicker downfall in the public eye than Phil?

Yeah, OJ's downfall was quicker and more complete. Phil still has his hardcore fans. I expect there will be some fairly big cheers this week for him and DeChambeau, along with some Brooksies. Reed, probably not so much. Boston rivals NYC and Philly as 1 of the cities with the douchiest loud fans. I wonder how much negative audible feedback the LIV guys get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9e_CnoWUYg

Here's a hole by hole flyover of TCC in Brookline. I didn't remember anything from 34 years ago. But it's an interesting quirky old timey course with a similar vibe as Merion. The greens are small and slope back to front without much undulation, kinda similar to Pebble.

Back