• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I like how the LIV Tour has been fighting for the free agency of professional golfers so much that it's now ... restricting LIV players to playing on the LIV Tour:

Is that what he means? or does he mean that LIV players will be restricted by the PGA Tour (as they have been )? I am not sure how to read that.

Didn’t realize they got Gary Player too. Damn.

man - i'm still pissed about player's trashy son posing with some shitty product when augusta was honoring lee elder

man - i'm still pissed about player's trashy son posing with some shitty product when augusta was honoring lee elder

The juxtaposition of that versus Hideki's caddy bowing toward the course as he was taking off the 18th flag was telling.

Gary Player is a huge POS. No surprise there.

Gary Player a huge POS? I don't know about that - he's a bullshitter that's for sure and hasn't told the truth in his life. But I dont think beyond that I've ever heard anything POS-ish about him. But thats not to say that he isnt a POS. What are you referring to?

Gary Player a huge POS? I don't know about that - he's a bullshitter that's for sure and hasn't told the truth in his life. But I dont think beyond that I've ever heard anything POS-ish about him. But thats not to say that he isnt a POS. What are you referring to?

The British Open trophy thing for starters. Can’t fully respond right now tho.

Player also had a reputation for being a cheater.

The problem with the LIV events is that what makes them appealing for a player is what makes them uninteresting for a fan. Small field. Guaranteed payouts. Shotgun start. 3 days. Great for a player. You’re in and you’re out. Guaranteed money and a large check at that. Totally beats the grind of the tour. I get it. But, that’s exactly what makes it wholly uninteresting from a fan perspective.

I mean, it makes sense for the LIV Tour to restrict players from playing in the PGA Tour. Why would you let players that take millions of dollars upfront just go play for your rival tour whenever they want? I still think the LIV Tour will be nothing more than some sort of XFL style league. Has beens looking for a big payday will join (DJ, Patrick Reed, Dechambeau), but I don't think you'll see any current top PGA Tour players leaving. I suppose there could be truth to rumors that Koepka will bolt, but he's said flat out he only cares about majors, which will likely still be open to him even if he joins the LIV Tour.

Regarding Gary Player, carrying water for the Saudis is especially rich given his contrition over being an enthusiastic supporter of Apartheid. It's almost as if his moral compass is oriented towards money.

And LIV restricting their players' ability to play on other tours was always inevitable, regardless of when that messaging becomes open. They're supposed to expand to 14 events by 2024 and with the money they're paying some of these guys there's no way they let them out of playing anything short of every event. They're not giving dudes guaranteed money to let them come and go as they please and would have been foolish to do so. They're not going to care if Louis wants a week off to play in the South African open.

Regarding Gary Player, carrying water for the Saudis is especially rich given his contrition over being an enthusiastic supporter of Apartheid. It's almost as if his moral compass is oriented towards money.

Player’s caddy, Rabbit, dropped on ball in the deep rough in the 18th hole of the British in 1974. Player has been an obnoxious bragger for 60 years. So sick of hearing about his world travel, diet, golf practice and sit-ups. And the icing on the cake was appearing at the White House to get the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Orange Hitler on Jan 7. Annika was right beside him.

And LIV restricting their players' ability to play on other tours was always inevitable, regardless of when that messaging becomes open. They're supposed to expand to 14 events by 2024 and with the money they're paying some of these guys there's no way they let them out of playing anything short of every event. They're not giving dudes guaranteed money to let them come and go as they please and would have been foolish to do so. They're not going to care if Louis wants a week off to play in the South African open.

It would be hilarious if the PGA reversed course and said the LIV guys could play on the Tour but the LIV said they couldn't...

So the LIV players are not independent contractors after all?

For months that was the argument: golfers should be able to play wherever and whenever they want. Now those that jumped are more exclusively bound to that crap tour than PGA players are to the PGA Tour? Hilarious

Last edited:
Man, the Bryson side interview today was just so fantastic. So obviously the LIV guys have been drilled on some talking points, and the top one seems to be something about having more time to do things away from golf like spending time with your family or doing, like, other stuff or whatever.

So Bryson gets re-asked the "why LIV tour" question outside the press tent and just trots out the "I can spend more time with my wife and kids" line he's been primed with, but then he realizes he doesn't have any kids and is married to a classic future ex-wife. So in a moment of panic he's like "I mean I don't have a family but when I do someday then it'll be helpful." Then he doubles down with "But I want to be able to choose my own schedule and the LIV Tour lets me play as much as I want while pursuing other things."

Then the (very awesome) interviewer asks if he wants to play on the PGA Tour again, and Bryson does the smirk asshole "gotcha" look thing and says something about how if they will simply allow him to play like everyone else it would be his greatest honor to return.

To which of course the interviewer is like, uh, if the best thing about the LIV Tour is not having to play anything other than their short season and I'm assuming the majors, why would you lobby to play more tournaments on the PGA Tour?

And then you could literally see his brain glitch and he just said something like "I'd be honored, I'd be honored" and speed-walked away from more questions. Good times.

Wow. That is spectacular. I mean, this is the United States of America. Just say it's for the money.

Back