• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

The exception to this is Phil. He has been quite vocal about how he’s earned his lifetime exemption. If there is to be litigation over this, I would not be surprised to see Phil be the one to push the issue.

Yes. Phil is the one LIV defector that didn't give up his Tour card. Would love it if he is the bell-weather plaintiff against the PGAT. In most instances the PGA Tour would not be the sympathetic party in two-party litigation, but Phil is second all-time in Tour purses having made $94 million off the PGA Tour, he more than tripled that amount in endorsements, and then he signed a $200M+ deal with LIV, based on his success on the PGAT. With that background, good luck to Phil claiming that the PGAT policy somehow damaged him. Add in the fact that Phil has a shady past, including insider trading with convicted sports gambler Billy Walters, plus Phil's inability to keep his mouth shut (while constantly making idiotic contradictory statements), the attorneys would have a field day with Phil as an adversary in litigation.

Can't imagine a worse plaintiff against the PGAT, and that includes Patrick Reed and Bryson.

It’s incredible how known business titan donaldross relentlessly praises the Saudi “business model” which basically amounts to taking gigantic sums of money and lighting it on fire.

Yeah, there is no Saudi business model. They're just throwing > $1bil away on a terrible product and getting nothing in return. A better business model would have been trying to take over the DP tour in return for doubling the purses of the non-Rolex events and giving large appearance fees to big names to play in those events. That would cost them a bit under $100mil/yr, and you could have made a good argument that they were growing the game.

I was watching the DP in Munich this morning. Oosthuizen, Bekker and Kaymer were playing, and probably more. Next week is a LIV event opposite the Irish. But then it'll be interesting to see if LIV guys are playing in Scotland the week after.

Phil trying to protect his pension. Prob has $20 million+ in there.

Nah, I think his pension is fine. That's been earned. It's just that the PGA is no longer contributing to it while the LIV guys are suspended. And yeah, I've heard the PGA pensions are very nice.

Nah, I think his pension is fine. That's been earned. It's just that the PGA is no longer contributing to it while the LIV guys are suspended. And yeah, I've heard the PGA pensions are very nice.

I think it is too, but that's definitely a reason (I've heard) why he's not voluntarily giving up his card/resigning.

Yes. Phil is the one LIV defector that didn't give up his Tour card. Would love it if he is the bell-weather plaintiff against the PGAT. In most instances the PGA Tour would not be the sympathetic party in two-party litigation, but Phil is second all-time in Tour purses having made $94 million off the PGA Tour, he more than tripled that amount in endorsements, and then he signed a $200M+ deal with LIV, based on his success on the PGAT. With that background, good luck to Phil claiming that the PGAT policy somehow damaged him. Add in the fact that Phil has a shady past, including insider trading with convicted sports gambler Billy Walters, plus Phil's inability to keep his mouth shut (while constantly making idiotic contradictory statements), the attorneys would have a field day with Phil as an adversary in litigation.

Can't imagine a worse plaintiff against the PGAT, and that includes Patrick Reed and Bryson.

I am not involved with Phil's case. But as I said last week on PGA Tour radio, I would anticipate a filing in Palm Beach County when Phil trys to enter the Rocket Mortgage and is blocked in a few weeks. We have unquestionable jurisdiction there, and it's a very favorable venue.

I am not involved with Phil's case. But as I said last week on PGA Tour radio, I would anticipate a filing in Palm Beach County when Phil trys to enter the Rocket Mortgage and is blocked in a few weeks. We have unquestionable jurisdiction there, and it's a very favorable venue.

This is one hell of a post and not humble brag. One of the all-time great “we” drops on the boards.

That's the event he is going to try and use to kickstart his case? After that temper tantrum he threw last year when the newspaper article came out about his unsavory relationship with a bookie the same week? Phil is trying to have his cake and swim in it, too, at this point.....

Love this:

"I am not involved with Phil's case".... "We have unquestionable jurisdiction there"... Yikes, hope you are not giving advice as to where to bring the suit.

While there would be 'jurisdiction" over the PGA Tour in Florida as the Tour is headquartered in Florida and plays plenty of events in that state, "WE", meaning the "Dream Legal Team" that Phil has apparently assembled, might have a tough venue argument in Palm Beach, Florida for a Mickelson v. PGA Tour dispute.

The PGA Tour is headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida (about 300 miles from Palm Beach), Mickelson lives in Scottsdale, and the event giving rise to Phil claim, the anticipated PGAT move of not letting Phil play in the Rocket Mortgage event, is played in Detroit... Michigan. Never want to start a suit by losing a change of venue motion. Also, would suggest "WE" vet the terms of Phil's PGAT membership as that may prescribe a disputes process (arbitration/mediation), controlling law and venue for disputes.

Two counterpoints that make Phil a difficult plaintiff for the tour:

1) He does have a lifetime exemption. He does not have as many of the requirements as other members of the tour do, and

2) Phil can actually show how his presence has helped the tour. He was the modern day Arnold Palmer, and I have no doubt he would be able to objectively show that his presence in tournaments, and on leaderboards on Sunday, had positive financial impact for the tour.

I am shocked that dr has not been hired as counsel for Phil is this endeavor

Ironic thing is that Phil threatened to not play in the Detroit event ever again because the local paper published that big story about a crooked bookie screwing him out of $500K because there really wasn't anything Phil could do about it.

“It was so much effort for me to be here and to have that type of unnecessary attack,” Mickelson said Thursday in what is now a widely reported press conference following the opening round of the RMC. “Not like I care, it happened 20-something years ago, it’s just the lack of appreciation. Yeah, I don’t see that happening. I don’t see me coming back. Not that I don’t love the people here, they have been great, but not with that type of thing happening.”

“I felt like, as the PGA Champion, I would be able to bring some value and be able to help the (RMC) tournament out,” Mickelson said. “I feel that Rob Snell made an article this week that was very opportunistic and selfish and irresponsible. I was looking at some ways that my foundation would be able to get involved, and when you have a divisive voice like that, you can’t bring people together. It’s very hard to bring people together and that needs to change because the people here are great, but when that’s your voice, it’s hard me me or somebody to come in and bring other people and bring other entities involved to help out because you’re constantly being torn down as opposed to brought together and built up.”

Of course Phil has no interest in playing Detroit. WTH does that have to do with anything on venue choice?

Palm Beach and, if the disaster occurs and it gets transferred to Detroit, are far better choices than Greensboro.

And Pilchard, if you’re asking if Phil’s team has read all of that, I am sure they have. As have I.

Phil trying to protect his pension. Prob has $20 million+ in there.

Way more than that. Justin Leonard's was estimated at around $85 million about 10 years ago.

But the PGA Tour is taking advantage of the players and not giving them their proper piece of the pie. If Phil was only as smart as he thinks he is. Nobody else thinks he is.

Donnie Greensboro in da house!!!!!!!!!!

On the golf course at the Travelers:

- Webb Simpson shot 64 today for his best round in a while
- Rory continues his roll as he leads with a 62
- Xander is one back with a 63

On what basis would they be filing in Palm Beach County as opposed to St. John’s County where the Tour is actually located?

Also, why would they not be filing a federal court?

I will hang up and listen.

Back