• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

What is the commonality that causes LIV supporters to be in line with Trump supporters? Is it just their decision making process? Why does this cross-over exist?

i think there's a major crossover between the golfers that could be bought and trump donks

i think there's a major crossover between the golfers that could be bought and trump donks

Yeah. Those who think they’re entitled to $$$ and shouldn’t have to compete on literally the same playing field.

I wish LIV didn't exist. I wish conference expansion never existed. I wish the ACC Tournament still mattered. I wish Nascar still ran at Wilkesboro and Rockingham. I wish Justice Kavanaugh hadn't lit college sports on fire.

Wake alums problems is at every era, we wish for the last one instead of planning how to thrive in the next one. We are stuck with our feet in concrete when Duke and UNC keep their feet shuffling.

Stenson to LIV. Loses Ryder Cup captaincy. Another late 40s washed up Euro gets a windfall.

I'm thinking Hideki going to be the next LIV announcement. Rumor is $350 million. Brings with him the entire Japanese golfing world.

Stenson to LIV. Loses Ryder Cup captaincy. Another late 40s washed up Euro gets a windfall.

So, that makes me think 1) Stenson doesn't think LIV will be around long-term, so he can't afford to wait until after his captaincy to jump, or 2) he's afraid if he waits until after his captaincy LIV will have attracted enough top players there will no longer be a place for him?

What's to stop the Saudis from starting a basketball league? They could pay all the top NBA names 5 times what they are making. Football? Tennis? Soccer?

What's to stop the Saudis from starting a basketball league? They could pay all the top NBA names 5 times what they are making. Football? Tennis? Soccer?

They could, but individual sports are easier to poach. It appears the current plan is stop at 48 players. Can't do a start up league in a team sport with small numbers. Also, a golf tour doesn't need to build stadia or develop a fanbase in a particular town. It's a tour; so, they can pay a fee to random course to use their facility, and they are set (plus, since it's a tour, the players will play events in Saudi). Not sure how many basketball players would be willing to play in a league where there home games were played in Riyadh. Finally, golfers aren't under contract with the PGAT, they can simply resign and play for LIV. The best basketball and football players have agreed to long term contracts which prohibit them from playing in rival leagues.

And Saudi can get what they want from all this -- sportswashing their image -- almost as effectively in other sports by buying a club, like they just did with Newcastle in the Premier League. Sorry, their Sovereign Fund PIF did that, which is definitely, 100%, in no way affiliated with their government, even though MBS is the chairman, don't behead me.

True, but they could pay the top high school guys and college guys tons more to come play. And I imagine when a NBA players' contracts are up they could grab them too. Its just I think at least a possibility that the top players coming into the NBA draft in a given year might go play in Saudi Arabia (or as in golf, somewhere in the USA) for $75 million a year vs $7.5 million a year. And Kyrie might have jumped on $100 million a year when his contract was up this season, just as an example.

They could, but individual sports are easier to poach. It appears the current plan is stop at 48 players. Can't do a start up league in a team sport with small numbers. Also, a golf tour doesn't need to build stadia or develop a fanbase in a particular town. It's a tour; so, they can pay a fee to random course to use their facility, and they are set (plus, since it's a tour, the players will play events in Saudi). Not sure how many basketball players would be willing to play in a league where there home games were played in Riyadh. Finally, golfers aren't under contract with the PGAT, they can simply resign and play for LIV. The best basketball and football players have agreed to long term contracts which prohibit them from playing in rival leagues.

They could drop the shotgun start format and increase the fields.

If I apologize for my past conduct and not do it anymore and do better things and help others, is that washing?

If I apologize for my past conduct and not do it anymore and do better things and help others, is that washing?

They literally aren’t doing any of those things. In fact, they’ve made an extraordinary effort to NOT apologize for their collective behavior.

Who says Tiger is telling the players that? I happen to know he is not.

billy-madison-bus-driver.gif

The guys doing PGA radio on Sirius yesterday said there will be quite a shakeup when the FedEx playoffs have ended and/or the President’s Cup. Reasoning that they will be waiting on this season’s bonus monies and of course playing in a huge team event.

Something else to consider after Tiger’s tirade last week about LIV is that he has been a huge beneficiary of Saudi money in the past so he is rather two-faced in telling these guys not to go and that they have no reason to practice anymore. First off, Tiger is a washed up golfer who will probably not win a major again and probably not a regular event to bring him past Sam Snead’s all-time record of 82. Second, while he is the leader at $121 million in career earnings, he has taken around $200 million in appearance money, a lion’s share coming from Saudi, Dubai, UAE and another great human rights violator—China!
Very easy for a billionaire to tell young golfers what to do with their careers!

There is a vast difference between taking appearance fees in Saudi Arabia, the UAE and China when those countries are trying to grow and promote the game in their countries and taking huge sums of $$ once 1 of those countries has declared war on the PGA and DP tours. That's what Saudi Arabia has done with LIV. A while back on this thread, I described a way the Saudis could have sportswashed in a manner that would have helped the game - they could have partnered with the DP and doubled the purses of the non-Rolex events. And they would have spent less than $100mil a year doing that. They could also sponsor an LPGA event at that course near Jeddah and have twice the usual purse for an average LPGA event. But that's not what they did. Instead, they partnered with Phil and Greg to create a rival tour that is siphoning off some of the games better golfers to play in awful exhibitions that aren't worth watching and aren't even on TV. Literally everything about LIV makes zero logical sense. But it's what Greg, Phil and the Saudis created.

They literally aren’t doing any of those things. In fact, they’ve made an extraordinary effort to NOT apologize for their collective behavior.

"their collective behavior."

So you all continue to use the acts of some of a certain color and nationality as a bias against others of that color or nationality. There's a word for that, but I can't recall it off the top of of my head.

I'm thinking Hideki going to be the next LIV announcement. Rumor is $350 million. Brings with him the entire Japanese golfing world.

I don't think Hideki and the Aussies leave until after the PC.

Live&die, you hit the nail on the head with both 1) and 2).

I don't think Hideki and the Aussies leave until after the PC.

Live&die, you hit the nail on the head with both 1) and 2).

Yeah, the conventional wisdom is that the next group is waiting until after the Fed Ex Playoffs and the President's Cup. There are only a couple of LIV events during that period, and there is an opportunity to rack up OWGR points (that remains the path to the majors) and money as the Fed Ex Cup winner gets $18 million, in addition to the prize money he racks up through each playoff event. Hideki has long been suspected as the prime LIV target. He is the biggest sports star in Japan, and has much bigger current Q rating than washed up Phil Mickelson. Also, the word is that Norman has been working the Aussies (Smith, Scott and Leishman) for a long time. Currently, none of the current LIV defections have substantially impacted the PGAT, but the loss of the current Open Champion (Smith), and golf's biggest star in Asia would hurt.

Guessing part of the pitch is that if enough players defect, the majors can't keep everyone out.

Last edited:
Back