• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Given the designer, it would be tough for DR not to love the DGC.

Don’t forget that monster across town Oakland Hills. Always fun to play.

DR must have had a side piece in Detroit like he did in Rochester because he went nuts there with a few other gems like Chandler Park

Given the designer, it would be tough for DR not to love the DGC.

Definitely the best of the mid-summer PGA venues. But I'm more looking forward to checking out Dundonald and Fairmont St. Andrew's this week. Dundonald in particular is gorgeous.

Don’t forget that monster across town Oakland Hills. Always fun to play.

DR must have had a side piece in Detroit like he did in Rochester because he went nuts there with a few other gems like Chandler Park

Biased of course, but outside of Pinehurst/Southern Pines, Rochester has to be the best Ross town per capita. Oak Hill East and West, CCR (home of Hagen), Monroe, Brook-Lea, and Irondequoit. The East restoration is spectacular too (Andrew Green got rid of all Fazio garbage and shipped it to Jersey for LIV).

The best thing about Detroit is the airport. I mean that seriously. It might be my favorite in the country to fly thru now.

Definitely the best of the mid-summer PGA venues. But I'm more looking forward to checking out Dundonald and Fairmont St. Andrew's this week. Dundonald in particular is gorgeous.

I'm about to embark on 2 weeks across the pond in Scotland. Still havent checked out Dundonald but finally crossing Royal Dornoch off the list next week.

Bubba to LIV. https://www.si.com/golf/news/two-time-masters-champion-bubba-watson-joining-liv-golf

Watson was asked prior to going why he was interested in playing despite the controversy surrounding Saudi and its human rights issues.

“They’re trying to change,’’ he said. “They started with women's golf, started supporting the women's golf (through a series of events on the Ladies European Tour) and then they started supporting men's golf. There's women's tournaments already that they sponsor. Trying to grow the game. They're trying to change industry over there, bring golf, bring tourism to Saudi Arabia with the beautiful beaches that they already have.

It will be interesting to go over there and play, but also see the beauty of other parts of the world that God's created,’’ Watson said. “I can't wait to get over there. Hopefully the Tour lets us go. Again, the charity dollars is what's most important, so the more money I can get in my hands, the more I can give away. So it's an honor and a privilege if they let me go over there and play.’’

Guys, it's not about the money. It's about the beaches! And about God's creation, in a place where talking about Bubba's God could get you tortured or executed. Such a principled guy.

I'm about to embark on 2 weeks across the pond in Scotland. Still haven't checked out Dundonald but finally crossing Royal Dornoch off the list next week.

Royal Dornoch is my favorite course in the world I've ever played. It's just unbelievable. Plus LK, go see Donald Ross homeplace in Dornoch as I'm sure you will. It's cool to cross that off the list too. Such a neat little town/village. Are you staying on the grounds there in the rooms at Royal Dornoch?

Last edited:
Let's play a game: Who Said it? DR or DJT?

"All of those golfers that remain ‘loyal’ to the very disloyal PGA, in all of its different forms, will pay a big price when the inevitable MERGER with LIV comes, and you get nothing but a big ‘thank you’ from PGA officials who are making Millions of Dollars a year."

Honestly a merger of some sort does seem like the most likely outcome.

Royal Dornoch is my favorite course in the world I've ever played. It's just unbelievable. Plus LK, go see Donald Ross homeplace in Dornoch as I'm sure you will. It's cool to cross that off the list too. Such a neat little town/village. Are you staying on the grounds there in the rooms at Royal Dornoch?

Sadly not staying in town. When we booked this 2 years ago we had a great B&B booked, then when we had to rebook 2 separate times now we've found lodging options vanished pretty quickly from other trips rolling forward similarly. So we are in Tain for a few nights and shuttling around for that part of our trip.

Got a 7 bedroom house a couple blocks from the courses in St. Andrews for the 2nd week though!

It just gets better and better. 68% of people that watch PGAT are over 65. The marketing plan of LIV is pointed at a new demographic. They think they can grow an audience. That is the entire conversation. Can they? I have my doubts.

It just gets better and better. 68% of people that watch PGAT are over 65. The marketing plan of LIV is pointed at a new demographic. They think they can grow an audience. That is the entire conversation. Can they? I have my doubts.

On this I disagree...there is a market for disruption in the way we consume golf. The one part of LIV that appeals to me as a viewer is the team aspect. Not currently, but down the road could easily see that being the lasting impact of this venture.

I think I’d be more invested in golf if there were regional teams like in other sports. Teams host events on local home courses. Make the teams events special stops and/or make the teams large enough that not every player has to play every stop.

Some change that doesn’t put all the pressure on the individual player and the tour to market each player.

On this I disagree...there is a market for disruption in the way we consume golf. The one part of LIV that appeals to me as a viewer is the team aspect. Not currently, but down the road could easily see that being the lasting impact of this venture.
So you agree.

Interesting strategy to grow your brand by overpaying assholes or washed up has beens or both, in the case of bubba.

I think this is how the Saudis intend to profit. Get teams going like NASCAR or something along those lines. Have sponsors pay the teams instead of the players directly. Use that money to compensate the players.

If I'm not mistaken, the WGC series arose out of Norman's insistence on a world tour concept. A similar result here could be a team concept. But for that to work, it would need to include good players and formats, especially match play.

Last edited:
Say what Bubba Watson says gets you a death sentence in Saudi Arabia. Not the first country where fascist evangelicals have been bought.

Back