• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Pat Perez has finished #29 and #31 in two events and made as much as Finau won this week.

If Varner tees it up tomorrow at 11:10 then he hasn’t signed, I can assure you if he signed Mark Brazil would know and he wouldn’t be playing. Nothing to gain by signing now, after the Fed Ex another story.

On another note anyone at the Wyndham Championship this week pick up a program. Great feature on Arnold Palmer and the impact of his scholarship at Wake Forest. It was written by Irwin Smallwood who is in his 90’s now and covered AP when he won the So Con Championship

I remember Irwin from the 70’s. Besides reading his column, he was seen around sports fields a good bit.

Just some random LIV musings...

Played golf this weekend with three guys I didn't know. Starting talking about LIV - the general consensus was that competition is a good thing and the moralizing over the Saudi involvement is hypocritical ("The Saudi's aren't good, but they're more of an ally to the US than China, and the PGA tour seems to have no problem with China" etc.). Obviously a sample size of three but was interesting nonetheless. After the round while grabbing beers in the clubhouse, the Rocket Mortgage was on half the TV's, and the LIV event was on the other TV's...also interesting.

I watched a few minutes of the LIV event today - while I still think a lot of it is stupid, anyone who thinks this thing is going to magically disappear or implode is being wilfully ignorant. Yes, the team names are awful, and the shotgun format just feels wrong. But there were a few thousand people there...you had drunk New Yorkers yelling "Baba Booey" and "Mashed Potato" just like you would at the Northern Trust or Barclays or whatever other Tour event is held in the tri-state area. It's definitely a "real" thing at this point.

I think the people latching onto things like the format, team names, etc. are missing the point - all of that is irrelevant right now. All that matters is that this thing exists and is moving forward. They'll run focus groups, they'll modify stuff (they already have announced some of this in recent weeks regarding team structure/format in upcoming seasons), and this thing will evolve. The longer it simply exists, the more of an existential threat to the Tour it is.

Think about it from the perspective of an average Tour player. Tony Finau had to beat 144 guys this week to take home $1.5M. Henrik Stenson beat about 15 legitimate players and 30 jerkoffs and made almost 3x what Finau did. At some point that math outweighs a lot of other things.

I guess you don’t realize it, but your post explains why LIV WON’T work. Read your last paragraph for instance. Any argument against the LIV should contain that paragraph.

And as long as the liV is drawing a few thousand people and there’s a guy there yelling “baba booey “ I can’t imagine how the PGA Tour can compete with that. Awesome.

And holy smokes, the Bedminster event even had Trump! Impressive isn’t even a strong enough word.

Anyway, my eyes hurt from rolling them. Here’s a good article on Stenson who was able to win the event in spite of the massive and raucous galleries.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/henrik-stenson-liv-golf-bedminster-win-ryder-cup-cost?utm_medium=email&utm_source=080122&utm_campaign=newsandtours&utm_content=DM30108&uuid=d0c07752a2474e2a992315d1ce0db3b0

Fuck LIV golf.

I watched a good bit of the LIV event. The format is still strange, shotgun start doesn't make it feel like a real tournament and only 54 holes? If you're going to have a limited schedule, at least go 72 holes. 2 of the 3 events have been won by guys that haven't been competitive on the PGA tour in awhile and Brandon Grace is not world beater either, so what does that say about the competition? The constant deal of building up the team thing is amusing to me. The tweets they show at the bottom of the screen you know are from people working for LIV. There was one talking about how the American team of the "4 Aces" against whatever team Stenson is on made up of Euros gave it a Ryder Cup feeling....:bowrofl: I've always liked Feherty on broadcast so that's a plus I guess, I also like Troy Mullins, she's a cool chick I think.

I just wonder how long this feeling of unity will last by all the players involved. Right now I think they feel like they're all part of something new and special and honestly aren't as invested in winning. How long does that last for a guy like Kevin Na? He's a guy that's won on the PGA tour, but at courses that fit his game. He's like Kevin Kisner, who's said that many of the PGA tour courses are too long for him to win at, but at the Colonial's and Harbour Town's, etc. he can win. This last LIV event was played on a 7600 yard course? Is that going to be the norm for LIV events and if so, how long before Kevin Na gets tired of finishing 24th out of 48 guys? What about the guys with Liv that could be competing to win tournaments on the DP World Tour, how long are they happy to be finishing 40 something out of 48 player field? I just think there will be some guys, especially after they cash in on LIV that will decide, "hey I want to have a chance to win tournaments." Maybe what happens is LIV keeps luring 40 somethings who have "names" from past PGA tour success, but best days are behind them and it turns into a pre-50 Champions Tour. It also sounds more and more like the LIV players are going to end up playing as many tournaments as they did on the PGA tour, especially the ones that get to play the majors?

If I'm being completely honest, I can't say I didn't enjoy watching some of the LIV event. I watched it at night, after I watched the Rocket Mortgage live. I'm a golf nerd, but I just don't know if this is good for golf in the long haul and just where it's going to go. Be interesting to see I guess.

The "that's the way its always been" crowd whined when slavery ended, when confederate statutes were ripped down, when the PGA championship became stroke play, when Bobby Jones decimated par at the old course, when hand scoreboards came down, when golfers started wearing shorts, and when Augusta National let in women members.

It's the cycle. There is nothing magical about 72 holes.

Scott Piercy and Taylor Pendrith wish PGA events were 54 holes. The fewer the holes the more random the result is likely to be. The better player is more likely to win a 72 hole event.

There's something a lot less magical about 54 holes.

Stenson had not won a PGA or DP tour event in 5 years. Stenson missed more cuts than he made on the PGA Tour this year, including his last 4 PGAT events. Stenson would not have won the Korn Ferry event this week, but he's your LIV Tour Champ.

Lol at the mental gymnastics that went into lumping slavery ending with a move from 72 to 54 holes.

Scott Piercy and Taylor Pendrith wish PGA events were 54 holes. The fewer the holes the more random the result is likely to be. The better player is more likely to win a 72 hole event.

There's something a lot less magical about 54 holes.

Stenson had not won a PGA or DP tour event in 5 years. Stenson missed more cuts than he made on the PGA Tour this year, including his last 4 PGAT events. Stenson would not have won the Korn Ferry event this week, but he's your LIV Tour Champ.

Why not 90 holes or 108? Or better yet 720? The better player is much more likely to be identified than 72 holes...

drew loves to compare tax returns but also thinks trump is wildly successful

Hey Donnie, how was attending the event at Bedminster with the massive throngs of other MAGA fuckwits. Massive, YUGE, attendance I'm sure. Rivals anything on tour.

Hey Donnie, how was attending the event at Bedminster with the massive throngs of other MAGA fuckwits. Massive, YUGE, attendance I'm sure. Rivals anything on tour.

were you one of the ones chanting "Let's Go Brandon," or yucking it up with Trump, Tucker, and MTG while it happened?

The Venn diagram of people who support LIV and Trump is damn near a circle.

I'd guess August will be a bit of a lull for LIV with no events until Labor Day Weekend. Tour Championship for the PGA is the week before (August 25-28).

The "that's the way its always been" crowd whined when slavery ended, when confederate statutes were ripped down, when the PGA championship became stroke play, when Bobby Jones decimated par at the old course, when hand scoreboards came down, when golfers started wearing shorts, and when Augusta National let in women members.

It's the cycle. There is nothing magical about 72 holes.

Well why not just let them play 18 holes? One practice round, pro-am round and 1 tournament round, think about how much more time they can "spend with their families?" And yes, having an opinion that pro golf tournaments should be 72 holes, is just like those ignorant fools that thought slavery shouldn't end. :rulz:

Why not 90 holes or 108? Or better yet 720? The better player is much more likely to be identified than 72 holes...

You just sound dumber and dumber. Why is a round 18 holes? Why not just have our championships on 12 hole courses? Let's just play the front 9!
For better or worse, 72 holes is the standard for championship golf.
Just like the guys going over to LiV, you just need to admit that more money means better - and leave it at that. We get it - money is your measuring stick, and that of the players going over, apparently. A lot of us just feel disappointed and sad that such is the case. Stop trying to defend the other stupid aspects of that "tour".

If Varner tees it up tomorrow at 11:10 then he hasn’t signed, I can assure you if he signed Mark Brazil would know and he wouldn’t be playing. Nothing to gain by signing now, after the Fed Ex another story.

Oh, I think he signed. Perhaps he made it to be effective at a later date?

Back