• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Clown show. Stop taking our sports away. Politicize everything in our lives.

https://youtu.be/CawsiPw-WbE

Greg Norman at the beginning of that clip raising the roof to "4 more years" chant. Well it didnt take long for LIV to go from something that pisses most golf people off to something people think is funny. It really has become a clown show. Norman is completely screwing this up, although it didnt have a chance anyway.

Norman was on Tucker Carlson which is the official sign that Norman can no longer be taken seriously as a person. He did say that LIV offered Tiger in the $700 to $800 million range. I think if I were him I might have kept that quiet.

Greg Norman at the beginning of that clip raising the roof to "4 more years" chant. Well it didnt take long for LIV to go from something that pisses most golf people off to something people think is funny. It really has become a clown show. Norman is completely screwing this up, although it didnt have a chance anyway.

Norman was on Tucker Carlson which is the official sign that Norman can no longer be taken seriously as a person. He did say that LIV offered Tiger in the $700 to $800 million range. I think if I were him I might have kept that quiet.

Yup, it's basically a MAGA jerk fest at this point.

If the product was so strong and a worthy alternative to other golf tours, why do they have to pay billions in upfront fees to get a handful of aging names and some anonymous cannon fodder? You’d think they’d come over willingly if that was the case.

That defector article makes it sound like the tournament fan experience is a joke too. Doesn’t even sound like the trumpers enjoyed it, let alone normal people.

The problem with golf is that it has such a limited history to draw from. 72 holes for a tournament? It took like 150 years before we started using that as a standard for big tournaments, so we only have 125 years of precedent for it. So it's basically just like changing the NFL kickoff rules or moving the 3 point line in the NBA.

Having talked to some randoms about LIV at this point, the audience is shaping up pretty clearly. And it's not young people or folks that don't understand golf all that well, etc. It's the guys that love everything that surrounds golf but don't really give a shit about the sport, its history, or its traditions, or the hard work that goes into being really good. I'm sure most on this thread know that guy you run into at a country club who is obsessed with how elite a course is, how fast the greens are even though he sucks at putting, how wealthy the membership is, the drinks and food after the round, and a betting system that makes sure he still has a shot to win even if he gets drubbed for 17 of 18 holes. He's got his name embroidered on his cart bag and a set of clubs a year old at most. He cuts every corner, fluffs every lie, picks up every short putt, and breaks 80 every time you're not playing with him somehow. He hangs out with really good players whenever he can to feel like he's one of them, he loves telling everyone how his buddy Steve shot 65 today.

The reason Trumpers and LIV folks are so intertwined is because you can just replace politics/governing with golf in the above. Nobody can tell you Trump's policy platform for the same reason nobody had actually seen him hit a golf ball prior to this week. All that matters is the money, influence, power, attention, and elitism that comes with pro golf and politics.

This is a great stab but I think it's even simpler than this. These people like carnival side shows - and they are fine with whatever means are necessary to accomplish a decent one. But yeah, they don't think the rest of it through.

We are at a precipice. Sports. The one thing that brought us all together. The last plug in the dike. It just takes more money to end that I guess. There are beautiful things that come from getting older. Watching what is happening to the sports we all could get together on isn't one of those things. Politics and religion have always sucked. But politics and sports is an abomination.

Definitely agree I would have kept the offer to Tiger quiet. Tiger is by far the biggest name in golf, has befriended most of the really great young golfers, and has already spoken out about LIV. Emphasizing just how unwilling he is to consider LIV seems very stupid, particularly during the launch phase of LIV.

I used to pull for Norman when I was a kid. He handled most of those heartbreaks with what appeared to be a good attitude, and he was clearly the best golfer for a long stretch and he is still the most exciting to watch in my lifetime other than Tiger. There is little question in my mind that Norman has to go if LIV is going to succeed. He wants a big part of this to be about him, and that won’t work.

The fact is, truly great athletes generally suck at anything to do with managing sports entities - Jordan is a terrible owner; most great players who’ve tried to coach have been failures; same for great players who’ve been GMs.

Larry Bird seems to stand out as the exception. He was a great player, great coach and for a while a great GM. Can’t think of another. Can think of lots of failures (Jordan, Magic, Norman, etc.). Oddly, lots of the greats are fantastic business people (Jordan, Magic, Norman, etc).

We are at a precipice. Sports. The one thing that brought us all together. The last plug in the dike. It just takes more money to end that I guess. There are beautiful things that come from getting older. Watching what is happening to the sports we all could get together on isn't one of those things. Politics and religion have always sucked. But politics and sports is an abomination.

I want to agree with this. I love that teams winning can bring all kinds of people together, but from Ali to Kareem to Kaepernick politics has always been there. Maybe that's more social justice than politics and LIV is being infected with Trumpism, but its just sad.

So LIV has basically become the MAGA golf tour? Good to know. That thing may keep going so long as the Saudis keep throwing money at it, but I would be really shocked if it ever came close to replacing or overtaking the PGA Tour. It will be the tour for MAGA crowd who are mad that the PGA Tour took away events from Trump after his supporters tried to overthrow our government.

Now that LIV has become the MAGA Tour, they may as well go ahead and just allow cheating and allow players to lie about their scores. That's got to be next.

The Losers on the Scoreboard of Life Tour. Supported by the ultimate loser, Donald Trump.

It truly is surreal. Here we have a sporting event that embraces a man that may have tried to overthrow the Constitution of the United States. One would think you would take a wait and see attitude. Hell no. Four more years. Automatically turn off 50% of the population. This is the genius of Greg Rupert Murdoch Norman. Start a company when 50% detest everything about it. But no problem. We can find people who will pay a dollar to watch it. Norman is genius.

It truly is surreal. Here we have a sporting event that embraces a man that may have tried to overthrow the Constitution of the United States. One would think you would take a wait and see attitude. Hell no. Four more years. Automatically turn off 50% of the population. This is the genius of Greg Rupert Murdoch Norman. Start a company when 50% detest everything about it. But no problem. We can find people who will pay a dollar to watch it. Norman is genius.

Yep. I think last weekend solidified the idea that the LIV will never become the premiere tour. The "Let's go Brandon" chants, cheering on Trump, and now Norman's appearance on Tucker Carlson showed us what the tour is all about.

Yes this Bedminster event was the 2nd worst thing to happen to LIV - just behind Mickelson's gross comments several months back.

LIV could grow a fanbase by connecting itself to an existing political culture in the United States. Much like Trump did for Republicans, LIV could appeal to fans instead of asking them to appeal to traditional golf culture. Obviously, siding with the political party most likely to gain and hold power by any means is a good strategy for sportswashing.

Yes this Bedminster event was the 2nd worst thing to happen to LIV - just behind Mickelson's gross comments several months back.

I disagree. Bedminster helped by beginning to provide a fan base for LIV. Prior to Bedminster, LIV was a minor curiosity on youtube without a fanbase. But you now insert Trump, MTG, Tucker Carlson and some eff the president chants, and it will become the favorite tour of MAGA hat wearers.

I disagree. Bedminster helped by beginning to provide a fan base for LIV. Prior to Bedminster, LIV was a minor curiosity on youtube without a fanbase. But you now insert Trump, MTG, Tucker Carlson and some eff the president chants, and it will become the favorite tour of MAGA hat wearers.

Exactly. It's an effective way to divide the golf fan base which are disproportionately Republicans. If the most powerful Republicans are pro-LIV, that helps LIV.

Anybody else gonna hoof it around Sedgefield this week?

If anybody finds any sweet promotions/comp ticket deals, let me know.

Exactly. It's an effective way to divide the golf fan base which are disproportionately Republicans. If the most powerful Republicans are pro-LIV, that helps LIV.

I would say 75% of the golf fans that I know are right leaning. 0% of them are fans of LIV or the Saudis. I'm sure there are going to be some people that jump on board because of chants or Trump or whatever, but not enough to matter. The people that are really into golf and crazy people that dress up like a buffalo don't overlap as much as you might think.

I would say 75% of the golf fans that I know are right leaning. 0% of them are fans of LIV or the Saudis. I'm sure there are going to be some people that jump on board because of chants or Trump or whatever, but not enough to matter. The people that are really into golf and crazy people that dress up like a buffalo don't overlap as much as you might think.

Maybe not in the grand scheme, but I think Trump's presence at these events will help increase the number of patrons at LIV events.

Back