Page 333 of 342 FirstFirst ... 233283323328329330331332333334335336337338 ... LastLast
Results 6,641 to 6,660 of 6840

Thread: PGA Tour 2022 Thread

  1. #6641
    Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    I don't know about Bedminster, but Doral was 1 of the worst tour venues on an annual basis, and I'm glad they left it. The best course he owns is Turnberry, which is 1 of the best Open venues, and I always wondered why it's the least played venue.
    It's one of the least played venues recently because the R&A has basically said they are not going back as long as it is under Trump ownership. So 2009 might be the last time we see an Open there for quite a while.

  2. #6642
    Bedminster is a Fazio design and is one of his best…PGA of America thought so much of it they scheduled a major there, then took it away rightly after the Jan 6 fuck up. Again my point has nothing to do with Trump. I look at golf clubs, courses and country clubs on their merit of what they are. Bedminster an arguably a better golf course than Sedgefield, Bedminster doesn’t have the history or tradition of Sedgefield and no amount of money can buy that. What it does have is a country club experience for members that rank among the best of old and new clubs and 100 times better than Sedgefield. Sedgefield had the bones but always lacked vision. Wyndham coming saved the club and McConnell buying it made for a better golf course but hasn’t changed the perception of the club. Sedgefield is no Old Town or Forsyth

    I’m sure all you lovers of Augusta National know
    the stories about Clifford Roberts, the way he treated people and let’s just say some of his social prejudices…credit to the past two leaders who have now made ANGC a force in expanding golf diversity, community investment and helping w downtown revitalization.

  3. #6643
    Forsyth doesn't belong in the same tier as OTC.

  4. #6644
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    Doral is a very good golf course and has stood the test of time…once a top 50 track. On another note having a golf course in the top 200 with all the golf courses in the country isn’t a bad place to be. Hate Trump which is fine but separate that from the clubs and courses and judge them for what they are. You guys might hate country clubs but by definition they’re private, mostly white exclusive bastions. The locker room, bar an dining at Trump clubs are the same as Winged Foot, National Golf Club and Seminole…hate one hate them all.

    As for LIV guys not being missed I can promise you that if Paul Casey, Sergio, Brooks, DJ, Stenson, Phil and Westwood came to the Wyndham this week it would be a game changer for daily ticket sales
    of course it would, because the wyndham field traditionally is C tier. None of those guys (other than I think sergio) ever played this tournament regularly.

  5. #6645
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    Bedminster is a Fazio design and is one of his best…PGA of America thought so much of it they scheduled a major there, then took it away rightly after the Jan 6 fuck up. Again my point has nothing to do with Trump. I look at golf clubs, courses and country clubs on their merit of what they are. Bedminster an arguably a better golf course than Sedgefield, Bedminster doesn’t have the history or tradition of Sedgefield and no amount of money can buy that. What it does have is a country club experience for members that rank among the best of old and new clubs and 100 times better than Sedgefield. Sedgefield had the bones but always lacked vision. Wyndham coming saved the club and McConnell buying it made for a better golf course but hasn’t changed the perception of the club. Sedgefield is no Old Town or Forsyth

    I’m sure all you lovers of Augusta National know the stories about Clifford Roberts, the way he treated people and let’s just say some of his social prejudices…credit to the past two leaders who have now made ANGC a force in expanding golf diversity, community investment and helping w downtown revitalization.
    look, if your point is that "as a country club operator, Trump does a good job of making his members happy" I don't doubt that's true. But that doesn't make a golf course great. No one else gives two shits about how you and judge smails really enjoyed the steak and that the she-crab soup is simply delicious.

  6. #6646
    The Trump organization bought The Point Lake & Golf Club in Mooresville/Lake Norman I guess about 10 years ago and it's called Trump National. I used to be a member there for years but rarely used it but it was a nice place with a really good feel to it. Terrible move by the membership to sell it to Trump. All the Trump group did was take a club with sort of a Cape Cod architecture feel and gold plate the faucets and signage etc and gaudy the place up. His outfit came in and removed trees from private lots that they were not allowed to do but did anyway. His company without question made the place worse and for sure less classy. For years now, whenever a home in the club is listed for sale it is listed as being in The Point not Trump National even though it hasn't been called that in years. BTW it's a Greg Norman design.

  7. #6647
    Turnberry and Trump International in west palm are 2 of my favorite 5 courses in the world.

    I hate it that so many don’t get to enjoy these amazing facilities because of a political grudge.

  8. #6648
    Quote Originally Posted by uncaboref View Post
    It's one of the least played venues recently because the R&A has basically said they are not going back as long as it is under Trump ownership. So 2009 might be the last time we see an Open there for quite a while.
    It also hasn't been part of the Open rotation for that long. 1977 was the first time and it has only been played there 4 times total.

  9. #6649
    Quote Originally Posted by donaldross View Post
    Turnberry and Trump International in west palm are 2 of my favorite 5 courses in the world.

    I hate it that so many don’t get to enjoy these amazing facilities because of a political grudge.
    Well, its called Trump Turnberry, not Turnberry anymore. The name change certainly doesn't help it land Opens and tourists.

    And political grudge. Yeah I mean I don't know but it seems like the people who hold this little grudge might have somewhat of a reason to hold the grudge. I mean, the moron did try to overthrow our democracy. That seems like it might put some people out of the mood of supporting Trump businesses.

  10. #6650
    Steve Lepore ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by guitardeac View Post
    Well, its called Trump Turnberry, not Turnberry anymore. The name change certainly doesn't help it land Opens and tourists.

    And political grudge. Yeah I mean I don't know but it seems like the people who hold this little grudge might have somewhat of a reason to hold the grudge. I mean, the moron did try to overthrow our democracy. That seems like it might put some people out of the mood of supporting Trump businesses.
    Yeah kind of hard to ignore...well clearly not hard for some
    Jeff [name redacted]:Sock changer

  11. #6651
    Message Board Genius
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    48,419
    Cant wait till DR starts telling us how great those Trump steaks taste.

  12. #6652
    still can't believe our former president is a cheesy golf club owner and that's the best(??) thing about him

  13. #6653
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Cant wait till DR starts telling us how great those Trump steaks taste.
    he's already telling us how great Trump's cock tastes

  14. #6654
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    still can't believe our former president is a cheesy golf club owner and that's the best(??) thing about him
    But he's "won" like 24 club championships...

  15. #6655
    Quote Originally Posted by uncaboref View Post
    It's one of the least played venues recently because the R&A has basically said they are not going back as long as it is under Trump ownership. So 2009 might be the last time we see an Open there for quite a while.
    I get that it's out of the rota now because of Trump. But it was little used before Trump bought it. They've only had like 7 Opens there over the years. And it's the prettiest layout and 1 of the more difficult layouts in the Open rota.

  16. #6656
    Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    I get that it's out of the rota now because of Trump. But it was little used before Trump bought it. They've only had like 7 Opens there over the years. And it's the prettiest layout and 1 of the more difficult layouts in the Open rota.
    Only 4 Opens, actually (as LilburnDeac mentioned above). First one was in 1977 (duel in the sun). With St. Andrews getting one every 5-6 years guaranteed, the other ones in the rotation (now that Royal Liverpool and Royal Portrush are back in) will be getting them about once every 8-12 years, at most.

  17. #6657
    Message Board Genius
    BiffTannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    48,419
    Webb Simpson will be an President's Cup assistant captain at Quail Hollow, where he lives.

  18. #6658
    Punishingly Intricate
    DeacHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    WINSTON-SALEM
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake View Post
    Doral is a very good golf course and has stood the test of time…once a top 50 track. On another note having a golf course in the top 200 with all the golf courses in the country isn’t a bad place to be. Hate Trump which is fine but separate that from the clubs and courses and judge them for what they are. You guys might hate country clubs but by definition they’re private, mostly white exclusive bastions. The locker room, bar an dining at Trump clubs are the same as Winged Foot, National Golf Club and Seminole…hate one hate them all.

    As for LIV guys not being missed I can promise you that if Paul Casey, Sergio, Brooks, DJ, Stenson, Phil and Westwood came to the Wyndham this week it would be a game changer for daily ticket sales
    there's no way Paul Casey or Lee Westwood move any needle when it comes to ticket sales

  19. #6659
    Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Webb Simpson will be an President's Cup assistant captain at Quail Hollow, where he lives.
    Just googled his career earnings. $44,238,348 is not too bad for a guy that has flown under the radar for most of his career. Won a few tournaments and got to play in the Ryder Cup. Quiet enough to stay out of the spotlight and good enough to make a boatload of money.

  20. #6660
    webb was up to #4 in the world in 2020

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •