• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Where's our board loud mouth duke lawyer to break down the legal loss for us?

Looks like the judge said the earliest the court would be able to start the antitrust suit is September 2023 with a chance that it may not start until 2025.

I've been saying this over and over. These guys - like Cam Smith IF he goes to LIV - are selling their business. That's all they're doing. They're selling it based on the value of the business they have built and because they are leaving the business. If Cam Smith's business is worth $100 million to him to get out of it, then that's what it would take to sell it and end his career. This is why the checks are so large for these guys. They're trading their career in. And that's why it isn't a big deal at all when if/when a Cam Smith or a Dustin Johnson goes to LIV. They are poof - gone. Out of the business.

The results of the suit yesterday essentially said this as well.

Yes, you have been saying it over and over. But I disagree with you. It is a big deal for guys like DJ and Smith to leave the Tour. It is a big deal for top ranked players and recent major winners with lots of good years left to leave the Tour for another golf tour. What ultimately happens to LIV remains to be seen, but these types of players leaving is not good for the Tour. Pat Perez and Hudson Swafford no one will miss.

Exactly, just continuing to say it doesn't make it true. It legitimizes LIV, it gives them one of the top 5 favorites in every major next year, that's a big deal. If hideki goes that's another huge deal. Those two alone don't end the PGA Tour, but it makes LIV seem more legit. Don't think this makes me pro liv, I f'n hate it but it is what it is.

Even if they go, does anyone care about watching them play exhibitions on the LIV tour? Folks (mostly older) will still watch the PGA tour like they always have. I am 58 and its still a good way to kill a couple hours on a summer weekend when its like 100F outside and drink a few brews.

What makes thing smore interesting is if LIV cuts a deal for TV with a big player like Fox or Amazon. More folks might tune it but for how long because again its exhibition golf.

Really explains a lot that the prize money is deducted from the signing bonuses for most of these guys. The format might be stupid, but these guys are more competitive and fired up playing ping pong for a few grand than they were in the first LIV event. There’s literally nothing on the line for the good players.

It’s like someone walking up to you and offering you 50 years of your salary tomorrow, and all you have to do is show up for half your schedule for a couple years.

Really explains a lot that the prize money is deducted from the signing bonuses for most of these guys. The format might be stupid, but these guys are more competitive and fired up playing ping pong for a few grand than they were in the first LIV event. There’s literally nothing on the line for the good players.

It’s like someone walking up to you and offering you 50 years of your salary tomorrow, and all you have to do is show up for half your schedule for a couple years.

Yes. And while much of the outrage has been directed at the Saudis, I've recently been directing that more toward Phil and Greg. They're the ones who came up with this ridiculous and unwatchable format, and they're essentially just bilking the Saudis. I mean they still don't have a TV deal.

I was also happy to see the LIV guys did not get their injunctive relief, which I thought was a long shot, though a certain golf architect here claimed they would get it.

Absolutely. They could not have disincentivized competition more if they had tried. You make the same no matter what you shoot.

Exactly, just continuing to say it doesn't make it true. It legitimizes LIV, it gives them one of the top 5 favorites in every major next year, that's a big deal. If hideki goes that's another huge deal. Those two alone don't end the PGA Tour, but it makes LIV seem more legit. Don't think this makes me pro liv, I f'n hate it but it is what it is.

There is no disputing that losing Cam Smith would hurt the PGAT. He is #2 golfer in the world, and won the most recent major. Don't think losing DJ or even Koepka or Bryson hurt the PGAT that much because those guys had been on a steep slide (to the extent that it even matters they haven't played well in LIV events either). That said, there has been some damage (not as much as some claim) to the PGAT already, but the PGAT should be concerned about the rumored defectors (like Cam Smith and Hideki) after the Fed Ex Playoffs and Presidents Cup.

All of that said. There is a difference between damage to the PGAT and legitmizing the LIV Tour. Yes, losing top players hurts the PGAT. Under the current format, don't see anything "legitimizing LIV". Given that the players' LIV money has already been paid before the players tee it up, given the 54 hole format and given the 48 man field, this will always be closer to the Hero World Challenge (which has an elite field) than a truly competitive golf event. During the last LIV event, Pat Perez played for winning "team", receiving a 7 figure bonus and finished 16 strokes behind Henrik Stenson (who wasn't competitive on the PGAT over the last 6 months). Under the current format, LIV will never be "legitimate" under Official World Golf criteria and among those following the game.

If the Greek Freak, Steph Curry, Ja Morant, Jokic, Luka and Durant all left the NBA to play for $100s of millions for a 3 on 3 Saudi League. It would hurt the NBA for sure, but it wouldn't legitimize the bastardized version of basketball that was being played.

Last edited:
Absolutely. They could not have disincentivized competition more if they had tried. You make the same no matter what you shoot.

Regarding the $'s deducted:
so how does this work? is the up-front money in escrow and funds are deducted from the escrow? I know it's the Saudis, but there is some level of risk (credit, completion or whatever you want to call it).

Can't imagine you have to "repay" when you win, right? Or is it that you win, but you don't really win $s? more like "phantom" winnings?

Sounds like it's something similar to an advance on commissions - your "earnings" are credited against the $$$ you were advanced.

Yeah, the whole reason LIV happened at all was when the Saudis put over a billion in some 3rd party escrow prior to anyone signing. That triggered the “wait, they really will just give us 9 figures up front to play exhibition events?” Can’t remember who the first was to commit but when the single massive drop of millions hit their bank account it was widely shared and rocked everyone’s perception of LIV. The events were always a joke but the money suddenly wasn’t. Hell, even if you are pretty wealthy, knowing that tomorrow $50M+ would just appear immediately is a pretty tough reality to reconcile. It’s the moment that money ceases to matter ever again. Prize money? Who cares. So what if winnings are considered already paid?

The LIV will never be a serious tour because of the format. It's exhibition golf. Everyone gets paid upfront. The guys who leave to join it have to accept their careers are over. I'm glad the judge refused to issue an injunction to allow LIV players to compete in the Fedex Cup.

I tend to agree that if the LIV Tour secures a media deal, it could legitimize it more, but I am not sure any American company would want to pay to broadcast LIV events given its close ties with the MAGA movement. Perhaps Trump's media company or Newsmax can offer to broadcast?

The LIV will never be a serious tour because of the format. It's exhibition golf. Everyone gets paid upfront. The guys who leave to join it have to accept their careers are over. I'm glad the judge refused to issue an injunction to allow LIV players to compete in the Fedex Cup.

I tend to agree that if the LIV Tour secures a media deal, it could legitimize it more, but I am not sure any American company would want to pay to broadcast LIV events given its close ties with the MAGA movement. Perhaps Trump's media company or Newsmax can offer to broadcast?

I'm sure Fox Sports could fit it in their scheduling.

Wonder if Cam Young will matter at all? He's next.

LIV wants names, even if those names are well past their primes. Cam Young, Mito Pereira and Tom Kim are young guys on the rise, but they are not household names. LIV is not gunning for them, and I'd hope that they would not want to damage their burgeoning careers by taking the easy money that would harm their careers.

Greg Norman completely miscalculated on this. He put all the emphasis on trying to get players just to try to show up the PGA Tour and forgot all about making it a worthwhile competitive golf tour. Or either he miscalculated by choosing gimmicks that are hysterically bad. Woops.

Now he didn't draw the players very well at all , the shine is wearing off of him and LIV and he's got a disaster on his hands (Cam Smith or not). I imagine he will get cut loose as as been rumored.

Last edited:
Back