• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

So, Gibson Dunn said publicly in June that the prize money is "in addition to" a player's advance, but in the hearing said the prize money was "recouped against his advance." It would surprise me if an attorney of that stature would make that type of error, particularly without correcting it before the hearing's end, but who knows.

I think Gibson Dunn is representing the LIV, while the players have their own representatives.

I have no clue what this Judge ruled yesterday. She hasn't filed her order yet. I'm guessing it's just an irreparable harm issue based on the media reports but who knows with the media.

Varner is good as gone as well, as I posted months ago, only to be dismissed.

I already reported that Varner has already signed - $38M is the reported number for him. It was reported to me by someone who witnessed the signing and who has discussed it with him. I don't know how it hasn't gotten out but he is motivated to keep it quiet for as long as possible - he can keep playing PGA events until he plays a LIV event without their permission.

LIV is a sportswashing vanity project for the Saudi royalty, so they don't care if it is a successful competitive league. They just want to go out to watch a bit of golf and say, "We own these people. They are here solely at our behest, and they are the most famous names in golf." The parallels with WWE wrestling are as similar as can be, and this could be considered an extension of their long history in horse racing, though this is certainly more blatant.

If the Saudis pay $38mm for Harold Varner ‘s signature then all arguments about this are over. That right there will prove beyond any doubt that the LIV cannot even be taken seriously.

^^^ Sound familiar? I guess I posted that about a dozen times on this thread over the last couple of months.

More:

"Based on this evidence, TRO Plaintiffs have not even shown that they have been harmed--let alone irreparably."

That does not bode well for their longer-term prospects.

"If LIV is elite golf's future, what do TRO Plaintiffs care about the dust-collecting trophies of a bygone era?"

Oof.

This would be like selling your business for millions, and then being upset that you aren't still getting your salary from your old business and suing to get it.

We have started down the road of LIV losing all suits, including the inevitable suit for world ranking points.

i like the attitude. What I won't like is if they turn out to be right, which I don't feel quite as certain about as i did a few months ago.

Gibson Dunn is charging fully loaded rates to a client that laughs at 7 figure bills. It's tough job, but someone's got to do it.

If the Saudis pay $38mm for Harold Varner ‘s signature then all arguments about this are over. That right there will prove beyond any doubt that the LIV cannot even be taken seriously.

I love Harold, but he turns 32 next week and has never won a tour event. If LIV is offering him $38 million, he should take it.

Good news, I guess.

Deleted. Nothing major. Just a poorly worded headline about controversy at the St Jude Championship and kids staying alive.

That's not uncommon to walk quickly through where a guy is reading a putt especially if that guy isn't next to putt. To expedite out of everyone's way. I would imagine thats all this was.

Back