• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

There are rumors that the Saudis may dump Norman as the LIV leader. If so, would suggest that Greg not accept any invites for a private meeting at a Saudi consulate.

If he does, there's an old patsy Cline song that would make a good soundtrack to the video of his (one-way) consulate visit.

The list of LIV major winners that I can find is:

Phil Mickelson (6: 2004/2006/2010 Masters, 2005/2021 PGA, 2013 Open)
Brooks Koepka (4, 2017/2018 US Open, 2018/2019 PGA)
Bubba Watson: (2, 2012/2014 Masters)
Dustin Johnson (2: 2016 US Open, 2020 Masters)
Martin Kaymer: (2: 2010 PGA, 2014 US Open)
Bryson DeChambeau (1: 2020 US Open)
Patrick Reed (1: 2018 Masters)
Sergio Garcia: (1: 2017 Masters)
Louis Oosthuizen: (1: 2010 Open)
Charl Schwartzel: (1: 2011 Masters)
Graeme McDowell: (1: 2010 US Open)
Henrik Stenson (1: 2016 Open)

That's only 23 majors so I may be missing one. But of these guys, there is exactly one under the age of 30 (Bryson, 28). The average age of these LIV major winners is 38.9 (37.7 without Phil). Of these 12 guys, 6 of them are in the top 75 ranking. Of the ones in the top 75, the ages are: 38, 32, 39, 28, 31, 42. If you extend that to the top 100, you can include 43 year old Bubba and 52 year old Phil.

Yes, LIV has signed some major winners. Some of those major wins were even recent (mostly by Brooks). But if you consider age, pretty much all of these guys are unlikely to ever win another major. More importantly, they aren't particularly competitive on a week to week basis.

Must have counted wrong. Don’t think 1 off from 2004 changes the point I was making. Also I think I thought Ogilvy was part of LIV - he fits the profile for sure.

These guys are definitely old and as a general rule past their primes. But they are big names, many are exempt at least until age 60 into one of the majors, and I don’t think the Masters, in particular, is going to quit inviting its past champs.

I think by the end of next year we will have a very good feel for the future of LIV and therefore the future of professional golf. If Cam Smith and/or Hideki join before or even during next season, that will be a huge deal.

No. OWG Rankings matter because they decide who gets into majors. Majors (Masters, US Open, PGA, Open Championship) drive golf. Everything else is secondary. If LIV players (who don't have another exemption) get knocked out of majors then they become after thoughts. No one is going to care who wins the LIV Bedminster Title (or the Rocket Mortgage PGAT for that matter, but a player earns OWGR points for winning the Rocket Mortgage, but not the LIV events). If you can't play in majors, then you don't exist to the public as a pro golfer.

This is true ONLY if the major stick with OWGR in the event it becomes watered down and not a true ranking of ALL of the best players in the word. I doubt they do this. Majors care about the majors, as they should. If the PGA Championship loses its claim to such a great field and 1/3 or more of the worlds actual top players are excluded, its status as a major will come into play.

Because I love the majors so much, I’m glad they have not done what the PGA Tour has done. The PGA Tour has a grudge. It’s illegal actions have 1 and only 1 victim: itself.

^^ LOL. What a knucklehead.

The massive checks are being thrown at these guys to entice these guys to switch to LIV BECAUSE the they know they are having to trade in their career as a top level player. I mean holy shit. It’s really that simple. It’s a trade. You honestly think the LIV would have to write $100 million dollar checks if they didn’t know and the players didn’t know that it would be the end of their position in the golf world?

I really can’t explain it any simpler than that.

This is true ONLY if the major stick with OWGR in the event it becomes watered down and not a true ranking of ALL of the best players in the word. I doubt they do this. Majors care about the majors, as they should. If the PGA Championship loses its claim to such a great field and 1/3 or more of the worlds actual top players are excluded, its status as a major will come into play.

Because I love the majors so much, I’m glad they have not done what the PGA Tour has done. The PGA Tour has a grudge. It’s illegal actions have 1 and only 1 victim: itself.
What's wrong with having a grudge? It's motivating. The non PGA majors can decide what the want to do on their own. I don't even understand why LIV gives a shit about the PGAT. They left. Further I'd do everything in my power to destroy LIV within the law. I guess that's where your stance comes in. And we need to move LIV to the politics board where we can discuss LIV allowing a man who tried to overthrow the U.S. government to participate. My personal belief is the people who run The Masters found that disgusting and won't be forgotten.

Greg Norman has a grudge, that is for sure. He has been a walking grudge for 30 years.

The "best" players in the world are unlikely to remain the best players in the world once they play in no cut 54 hole exhibitions with guaranteed appearance fees. But hey they have generational wealth! Winning!

The more people like Bubba talk, the more people will realize just how bad this is. I guess Im not surprised its attracted more than its fair share of the low lifes on tour.

#Winning

Last edited:
Wake Forest Football gets five times the audience of the Wahabbi Opens so far. And next season we will crush them more. Google up "The slow mesh" sometime. You will be amazed. We have a national following.

Charles Barkley comments on LIV were ridiculous. We are a free country. So the Saudis invest in Apple and Disney. The Saudis aren't offering millions for the executives of these companies to leave and create Wahabbi Disney or Apple Twin Towers to compete with them. So stupid.

I am hoping for Herschel Walker to make his opinions known on the LIV tour. At which point we should have even some deeper thinking than Barkley.

Wake Forest Football gets five times the audience of the Wahabbi Opens so far. And next season we will crush them more. Google up "The slow mesh" sometime. You will be amazed. We have a national following.

By DonaldRoss math, that's fantastic.

There’s a short list of people who can say whatever without consequences and Barkley and Trump are on it.

Back