• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Sure, but if you're a real golf fan you're not showing up because Trump is there. You might go if DJ, Koepka, and DeChambeau return to form.

Maybe not in the grand scheme, but I think Trump's presence at these events will help increase the number of patrons at LIV events.

Sure, but if you're a real golf fan you're not showing up because Trump is there. You might go if DJ, Koepka, and DeChambeau return to form.

I know this isn't a political thread, but I've been a part of two different discussions at our club where Trump+LIV stuff has come up.

IMO, a lot of Republicans have been desensitized to things Trump says and does. They ignore the crazy shit he says at rallies & reports about his misdeeds.

Its harder to for them to do that when it's part of a golf tournament.

... an older Wake alum at my table tried to deny Trump said 'nobodys gotten to the bottom of 9/11' & then tried to say it was taken out of context.

I almost want LIV to gain steam in viewership, just to shine a brighter light on Trump's shittiness.

If he's officially on the campaign trail in October... Miami (the LIV final, also hosted at a Trump course) could be the ultimate clown-car crash.

LIV is to the PGA Tour as Top Golf is to playing real golf. Which would probably be fine if they stayed in their lanes. Top Golf is about hanging with friends over a few beers, grabbing some shitty nachos, hitting a few golf balls even if you have no idea what you're doing. LIV should be the same - cheap beers, better player access, short rounds and tourneys, concerts before and after, way fewer rules and bullshit.

But then they had to go all Greg Norman vengeance mode, which meant injuring the PGA Tour, which meant stealing players, which meant gobs and gobs of money. So now it's politics, because there's no way to upset the PGA/DP ecosystems in a financially sound way; it has to be for some other reason. MAGA latching on is just a flies-to-shit phenomenon. That's a decent sized crowd in America so you could see that as a positive. But this is an international effort and the least resistant guys have been the Euros and Aussies. You think Cam Smith is watching MAGA chants and getting a better opinion of the tour? You think Trump sells LIV outside of the United States MAGA morons?

There's one golf nut in Saudi Arabia that made this happen and it's not MBS. That guy falls out of favor, Trump loses and/or gets indicted, Norman gets fired, a few guys defect back to the PGA... It can all immediately crumble, nobody actually cares. Except maybe Travis Smyth and David Puig I guess. Branding it the MAGA Tour may seem like a good idea on the surface, but "Trump's rallies with golf" are doomed to fail unless he wins again.

Nothing like $100 million to spend to motivate you to return to form

Maybe not in the grand scheme, but I think Trump's presence at these events will help increase the number of patrons at LIV events.

Definitely. I’m sure there are plenty of people who didn’t even know LIV existed before last week and didn’t consider themselves to be golf fans will tune in going forward because it’s now the MAGA tour.

vt, I hope you’re right but people get real selective about when they like and don’t like politics in sports. People who get real offended about kneeling in protest during the anthem probably aren’t that bothered by a former President getting paid an unknown sum from a foreign government to host a golf tournament that competes with a domestic tour. If we know anything about politics and culture over the last 10 years, they’ll embrace LIV before they’ll reject Trump.

Trump is the perfect face for LIV, even better than Norman. This is the guy who insisted on putting fake waterfalls on every course. Meddled in design work repeatedly with one consistent effect: making the designs worse. LIV, similarly, provides lower quality golf. Match made in heaven.

And I don't even think of Trump in political terms here. The guy was a shallow cheeseball grifter for decades, personified in many ways, including "his" golf courses. I think LIV presents a perfect opportunity for his grift, and it will generate more interest from the types of fans that LIV could likely attract. Norman cannot hold a candle to Trump in carnival barking or grudges, that is for sure.

Exactly. It's an effective way to divide the golf fan base which are disproportionately Republicans. If the most powerful Republicans are pro-LIV, that helps LIV.

Golf (or a golf tour) is not going to divide and/or gain fans due to political party.

These MAGA knotheads want to go to Trump rallies, not watch golf.

Last edited:
Golf (or a golf tour) is not going to divide and/or gain fans due to political party.

These MAGA knotheads want to go to Trump rallies, not watch golf.

The event at Bedminster was essentially a sporting event with a mini Trump rally.

I know very little about golf, especially specific courses. Are Bedminster and Doral considered to be good courses?

They are great courses…on another note Trump is a jerk and I wish he would go away. Having said that those in the golf business will tell you the Trump Golf organization is the best there is for facilities, amenities and service. Member satisfaction consistently over 95% positive and all the courses are among the best.

They are great courses…on another note Trump is a jerk and I wish he would go away. Having said that those in the golf business will tell you the Trump Golf organization is the best there is for facilities, amenities and service. Member satisfaction consistently over 95% positive and all the courses are among the best.

How about the organization’s employee and contractor satisfaction?

"The Insurrection Club, how may I direct your call?"

Doesn't seem like Golf Digest panelists think the courses are among the best -- unless you consider top 200 among the best.

what-is-the-best-trump-golf-course

I don't know about Bedminster, but Doral was 1 of the worst tour venues on an annual basis, and I'm glad they left it. The best course he owns is Turnberry, which is 1 of the best Open venues, and I always wondered why it's the least played venue.

Doral is not a great course. It is a soulless track devoid of any architectural merit.

Doral is a very good golf course and has stood the test of time…once a top 50 track. On another note having a golf course in the top 200 with all the golf courses in the country isn’t a bad place to be. Hate Trump which is fine but separate that from the clubs and courses and judge them for what they are. You guys might hate country clubs but by definition they’re private, mostly white exclusive bastions. The locker room, bar an dining at Trump clubs are the same as Winged Foot, National Golf Club and Seminole…hate one hate them all.

As for LIV guys not being missed I can promise you that if Paul Casey, Sergio, Brooks, DJ, Stenson, Phil and Westwood came to the Wyndham this week it would be a game changer for daily ticket sales

Doral is a very good golf course and has stood the test of time…once a top 50 track. On another note having a golf course in the top 200 with all the golf courses in the country isn’t a bad place to be. Hate Trump which is fine but separate that from the clubs and courses and judge them for what they are. You guys might hate country clubs but by definition they’re private, mostly white exclusive bastions. The locker room, bar an dining at Trump clubs are the same as Winged Foot, National Golf Club and Seminole…hate one hate them all.

As for LIV guys not being missed I can promise you that if Paul Casey, Sergio, Brooks, DJ, Stenson, Phil and Westwood came to the Wyndham this week it would be a game changer for daily ticket sales

What? That's like saying some new upscale, trendy wannabe bar/restaurant at some suburban mall complex is really just the same as some awesome 100 year old pub in Dublin or London. Money and flash don't always equate to tradition and class.

Back