• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Sure, but in that respect the LIV just uses the PGAT as a developmental tour. Then they pay whoever emerges.

They pretty much have their 48 or so guys and might add a few more after Eastlake and the PC. And I don't see LIV lasting more than 3-4 years. I was just saying this to 1 of my golfing friends - I seriously doubt many of these LIV guys will have an impact again when they return to the PGA and DP tours after LIV ceases to exist and their suspensions. It's a fat cat league where they got paid up front. We've probably seen the last of DJ and Koepka contending in majors because they won't have the competitive edge to get their games back to be top 10 golfers. And I'd be surprised if young guys like Gooch and Horsefield ever return to relevance. The 1 guy who I think might get back to that status is Reed, who is full of piss and vinegar at all times. He'll probably want to show all those guys he still has it.

Yeah, there's a handful of guys LIV is still working on and in the meantime everyone gets another year older. Dustin Johnson is 38 years old and got $150 million from LIV. That's a good deal for him because he's not going to make that much from the PGA over the next 10 years. He would have done better with endorsements but he's not charismatic or engaging enough to command the big deals.

LIV isn't going to pay a 24-year old that kid of money figuring they'll work out over time, and then keep doing it when they don't.

Like if they offered Cam Young $50 million and he went out and kicked everyone's ass in the LIV exhibitions for 10 years, he'd make a shitload of money. But over the long haul, he's going to make more money on the PGA Tour.

Another aspect of the inherent weakness of LIV Golf. Through the PGAT and related tours, there is a method in place for young players to earn their way into elite status. Nothing like that in LIV. For the most part, LIV players are paid on pass achievement (mostly for long ago), and there is no mechanism for a player to earn his way on to that tour; the primary LIV Tour qualifying criteria is for dopey Greg Norman to like you -- Think how dumb that is. LIV players get ridiculous money upfront and then players show up for three day exhibitions with little incentive to grind. There is no developmental aspect. Just a forum for players to be fat and happy.

100%

Again, there's a reason LIV is paying such big sums to get players. Because the LIV knows they have to pay these huge sums in order to convince the player to torch whatever is left of their playing career.

Its really just that simple.

Last edited:

And again, anyone who thinks Cam Smith going to LIV is not a big deal, is just plain wrong.

I doubt he will go and absolutely for sure it is not a big deal if he does go.

deacfan123, tell me why you think it would be a big deal. How would Cam Smith not playing on the PGA Tour affect the PGA Tour in a big way? I'm not being sarcastic, I just would like to know your reasoning on this.

Last edited:
It is a massive deal for the number 2 player in the world to go to LIV. He is on the come up and just won the British Open. He is an international player, the best of all of them at the moment, further reinforcing that the LIV tour is an international tour. Making the PGA more American than it already is. This is not DJ or Brooks on the way down, Cam has arguably been the best player in the world this year, only scheffler is probably better.

Is it going to effect the TV ratings of the sentry TOC? Probably not, but it will help LIV and solidify them as even more big league competition than they already are. Cam is very well liked by serious golf fans, maybe the first player like that on LIV. The others are all pretty much d bags so far.

ok. To me, I think the argument is that the moment he leaves he isn't Cam Smith the #2 player in the world anymore. And he's largely forgotten - but rich.

He's Cam Smith because of the PGA Tour. Not the other way around. To me it's really that simple.

Cam had a great year winning the Players and the Open. PGA Tour-wise though as far as normal tourneys go, in 2022 he played the Sony, Genesis, the RBC, the Zurich, the Memorial, plus the Canadian and Scottish Opens. Best finish was a tie for 10th across all of those events. So he's really just a quasi-PGA player who focuses on the majors - the PGA Tour isn't really losing much with his exit. The appearance of such a rising star though definitely seems to give legitimacy to the LIV Tour as being more than a 1-3 year joke. That's why it's disruptive.

Cam Smith is the best young player they've landed; I think it's a big deal

Weird how it's all the guys that have been on the PGAmemes home course series on youtube

What I don't get in the LIV "business model" is why are you buying all this talent just to dump it into a crappy exhibition format? People watch sports for the competition more than appreciation of pure athletic performance

And again, anyone who thinks Cam Smith going to LIV is not a big deal, is just plain wrong.

Yeah it's a big pick up for LIV tour. I was hoping he wouldn't make the move but can't say I am surprised based on his answers after winning the Open championship. It will be interesting to see if this leads to other big names to making the move to LIV or not.

Cam Smith is the best young player they've landed; I think it's a big deal

Weird how it's all the guys that have been on the PGAmemes home course series on youtube

This is SO true!! That PGAmemes guy is a major MAGA dude btw.

What I don't get in the LIV "business model" is why are you buying all this talent just to dump it into a crappy exhibition format? People watch sports for the competition more than appreciation of pure athletic performance

Because they don't want to play as much golf ?!!

They don't even win money when they win.

If Cam goes, it is big because the majors cannot possibly exclude him anytime soon and he brings legitimacy in a way no other player has so far. He is number 2 in the world. It is a big deal. Maybe his game falls off a cliff like Martin Kaymer’s did - I thought that guy was going to be a force for a long time. Golf is a weird sport that way but I think Smith will be very good for very long. If they get Smith and Hideki, LIV will be rolling.

My prediction is that Cam and Hideki are both gone after the President’s Cup.

Hopefully just the first in a series of ass whoopings LIV will take.

Back