• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

I heard that it was pretty much exactly the same as Phil. Needed a par to win, bogey for playoff and ended up doubling 18 to miss both.

Yeah, neither Phil nor Mito should have had a driver in their hand. Bones should have broken that driver over his knee, but it was old Phil being Phil - going for the green in 2 through a tree instead of just advancing it back to the fairway after using the driver. But it still wasn't as bad as Monty's epic choke a few minutes earlier - I don't think I've ever seen a pro hit a mid iron that fat from the fairway.

DJ missed a 12 footer to win the US Open, then missed the a 2 and half footer to force a playoff on the 18th green at the US Open was about as brutal as it gets:

DJ missed a 12 footer to win the US Open, then missed the a 2 and half footer to force a playoff on the 18th green at the US Open was about as brutal as it gets:

Nah, that's much easier to explain. Mike Davis murdered all 18 of those greens that week, and putting was treacherous. That was nowhere close to Pereira, Phil or Monty choking territory. If that Tacoma course ever wants a big golf tourney in the future, they should be required to change the greens from fescue to bent, bermuda or something else that can withstand heat.

Nah, that's much easier to explain. Mike Davis murdered all 18 of those greens that week, and putting was treacherous. That was nowhere close to Pereira, Phil or Monty choking territory. If that Tacoma course ever wants a big golf tourney in the future, they should be required to change the greens from fescue to bent, bermuda or something else that can withstand heat.

They’ve been converted to poa

Already done: https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2019/06/05/new-greens-in-place-chambers-bay-ponders-majors-future/

That was at least 3 feet coming back - but he put a terrible, nervous stroke on it...

Thanks - did not know. I enjoyed the moonscape layout with the physical beauty of the northwest and the sound in the background, but you can't have fescue greens in the continental 48 with the heat. And Davis did murder the fescue on the greens that week. The only thing living on them was clumps of poa. Would like to see another major or RC there.

Thanks - did not know. I enjoyed the moonscape layout with the physical beauty of the northwest and the sound in the background, but you can't have fescue greens in the continental 48 with the heat. And Davis did murder the fescue on the greens that week. The only thing living on them was clumps of poa. Would like to see another major or RC there.

IIRC some player described it as putting on broccoli. Players always used to bitch about USGA setups, not as much recently.

A, that was closer to 4 feet than 2.5. B, those greens! Terrible. But he pulled the comebacker.

DJ really should have like 3 more majors in his portfolio - that US Open, the Whistling Straits PGA with the bunker issue and the Masters where he "fell down the stairs" and was playing head and shoulders above everyone else in the world at the time. Still a Hall of Famer obviously, but man he could have been one of the all time greats.

I was watching the Dutch Open this a.m. on the new course they're playing. The old course was boring. This 1 is kinda cool - it's inland, but it has a links feel and was designed by the guy who did Kingsbarns. And the women are playing at Shadow Creek this week and Pine Needles next. If you haven't seen Shadow Creek, check it out. It's a much more interesting Vegas course than that Summerlin course the PGA plays. Both the Dutch course and Shadow Creek are way more interesting than the Fort Worth course.

Money talks...will be interesting to see the eventual lawsuits that come out of this.

Money talks...will be interesting to see the eventual lawsuits that come out of this.

Would imagine Norman eventually wins because these guys are all independent contractors and I don’t think they can be told where they can play or not play—otherwise ghey would be employees.Can’t see this being much different than what Jack did in 1968 with Doug Ford and Frank Beard, when tired of the crap rules of the old PGA (like having to do an unpaid 6 month apprenticeship before you could earn official money and Ryder Cup points), they started their own entity called Association of Professional Golfers or APG. They hired their own director and started getting their own tournament sponsors.

Now Nicklaus would not back the LIV but he did the same thing in 68-69 with great success. Arnie was one who was very reluctant to join them because he was loyal to the old PGA, warts and all.

Would imagine Norman eventually wins because these guys are all independent contractors and I don’t think they can be told where they can play or not play—otherwise ghey would be employees.Can’t see this being much different than what Jack did in 1968 with Doug Ford and Frank Beard, when tired of the crap rules of the old PGA (like having to do an unpaid 6 month apprenticeship before you could earn official money and Ryder Cup points), they started their own entity called Association of Professional Golfers or APG. They hired their own director and started getting their own tournament sponsors.

Now Nicklaus would not back the LIV but he did the same thing in 68-69 with great success. Arnie was one who was very reluctant to join them because he was loyal to the old PGA, warts and all.

As a non-lawyer, I agree with this - if they're independent contractors, how can you keep someone from playing where they want? But I guess we'll see how complicated it gets. I'm actually glad the PGA tour denied all the waivers to play in the first LIV event, because that will just expedite the inevitable legal action and hopefully have some sort of resolution soon.

It is very difficult to start a new tour attract a strong field w/o deep pockets like the Saudi's have. A good example is the Holey Moley Tour, which only pays its season-long winner a purse of $250,000.

At the end of the day, these are a bunch of already wealthy guys agreeing to take Saudi money instead of playing in events of the organization that provided them the opportunity to earn great money.

It is very difficult to start a new tour attract a strong field w/o deep pockets like the Saudi's have. A good example is the Holey Moley Tour, which only pays its season-long winner a purse of $250,000.

And they get the crap kicked out of them getting there! :eek:

The PGA Tour is NOT keeping the players (independent contractors) from playing where they want. The players are free to go play LIV. Go play whatever tournaments you want on whatever tour you want. But you may lose your MEMBERSHIP to the PGA Tour. The PGA Tour has all sorts of requirements to play in their tournaments. You have to qualify to play the Tour through any number of avenues (Korn Ferry money list, etc), you have to maintain status through money list on Tour, and on and on. Yes the players are independent contractors and many of them want to be MEMBERS of the PGA Tour. They can make their choice to play wherever they want and the PGA Tour cant and isn't preventing it. The PGA Tour can prevent ANY player from playing THEIR tour if they don't meet certain requirements and obligations. The PGA Tour can damn sure do that - it is a membership organization.

Completely wrong of Greg Norman and anyone who says the PGA Tour is preventing these independent contractors from playing other tours. Go! Go play! Have fun! But you just can't play OUR PGA Tour and they have every right to suspend or renounce a player's membership. I can't believe that someone would even make the argument that the Tour is preventing players from playing the LIV.

“Free agency has finally come to golf,"

What? The PGA Tour already offered a strong “free agency” and merit-based pay.

That LIV field is stronger than I thought. A lot of guys kept their mouth shut and let Phil take the heat.

Back