• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Marty West?

Gotta be. That's what I was going to say. Marty is a great guy but he's a Tarhole. I've played with him a couple of times years ago and he's a great guy to be around and really good player. Glad to hear he's still doing well and playing well.

Gotta be. That's what I was going to say. Marty is a great guy but he's a Tarhole. I've played with him a couple of times years ago and he's a great guy to be around and really good player. Glad to hear he's still doing well and playing well.

Super guy and apparently one of his kids went to Wake, so he is a smart father too.

Nice subject change. As I have said all along, the PGA Tour is acting illegally attempting (unsuccessfully) to stamp down competition. They are law breakers and will be held accountable for their illegal actions.

They haven't won anything yet - just a temporary pause while the courts sort out the real decision.

LIV has turned the "competition" argument on its head. LIV tamps down competition:

- LIV players must play in all LIV events
- Limited field of 48 players
- No cuts
- LIV events only open to players who sign exclusive contracts

PGA and DP tour events have defined qualifying criteria and all golfers who want to play in those events can earn their way to qualify for those events by playing great golf, and then, for those who don't have their tour cards, they can still get into the field with Monday qualifying for every tour event.

LIV is the opposite of competition. Everyone gets paid before they enter an event; everyone gets paid regardless of how poorly they pay; but the winning individual and team gets a bonus. It's a boring format with players that DGAF because they already got paid.

Last edited:
The LIV is a month or two away from being largely forgotten. Greg Norman is the Matt Rhule of golf - thinks he's smarter than everyone else because he got lucky a few times. Like I said, my wife used to work with him in the 90s and he was such a great guy back then. On my desk sits a framed picture of me with Norman but ofc I havent spoken to him in 25 years almost and he wouldnt know me from a snow pea. I hate to see what has happened to him.

And of course the LIV hasn't won anything in court yet and probably won't have any big wins in court. I missed that post by that donaldross guy.

So you know/knew a famous guy? Why have you never mentioned this

BTW do you have Hornets season tickets near the bench

The LIV is a month or two away from being largely forgotten. Greg Norman is the Matt Rhule of golf - thinks he's smarter than everyone else because he got lucky a few times. Like I said, my wife used to work with him in the 90s and he was such a great guy back then. On my desk sits a framed picture of me with Norman but ofc I havent spoken to him in 25 years almost and he wouldnt know me from a snow pea. I hate to see what has happened to him.

And of course the LIV hasn't won anything in court yet and probably won't have any big wins in court. I missed that post by that donaldross guy.

I'm no fan of LIV but the next few months will likely be more players signing on after The Open and then again after the FedEx Cup playoffs

I'm no fan of LIV but the next few months will likely be more players signing on after The Open and then again after the FedEx Cup playoffs

There have been 39 PGA events played this year, and 33 of those were played before anyone left for LIV. So far, only player that has won a PGA Tour event this year as left for LIV, Talor Gooch won the RSM Classic last November. So, pretty much all of those that left are players that are having crappy years, and knew that they weren't going to be in the mix for the big dollars via the Fed Ex playoffs. So far, there really isn't a player that the PGAT has lost that hurts the brand (some would argue Brooks and Byrson, but those guys were generally disliked). The PGAT would/will suffer damage if it loses a young star like Scheffler, Thomas, Morikawa, Xander, Speith, Burns, McElroy. So far, all of those guys seem solid in their PGAT commitment, but we shall see.

LIV has turned the "competition" argument on its head. LIV tamps down competition:

- LIV players must play in all LIV events
- Limited field of 48 players
- No cuts
- LIV events only open to players who sign exclusive contracts

PGA and DP tour events have defined qualifying criteria and all golfers who want to play in those events can earn their way to qualify for those events by playing great golf, and then, for those who don't have their tour cards, they can still get into the field with Monday qualifying for every tour event.

LIV is the opposite of competition. Everyone gets paid before they enter an event; everyone gets paid regardless of how poorly they pay; but the winning individual and team gets a bonus. It's a boring format with players that DGAF because they already got paid.

100%

There have been 39 PGA events played this year, and 33 of those were played before anyone left for LIV. So far, only player that has won a PGA Tour event this year as left for LIV, Talor Gooch won the RSM Classic last November. So, pretty much all of those that left are players that are having crappy years, and knew that they weren't going to be in the mix for the big dollars via the Fed Ex playoffs. So far, there really isn't a player that the PGAT has lost that hurts the brand (some would argue Brooks and Byrson, but those guys were generally disliked). The PGAT would/will suffer damage if it loses a young star like Scheffler, Thomas, Morikawa, Xander, Speith, Burns, McElroy. So far, all of those guys seem solid in their PGAT commitment, but we shall see.

Good info.

prolly saw the private plane they were all flying around in

The plane perk is pretty cool. I'm starting to see why golfers might love the LIV. The pay is great and it probably feels like a country club captain's choice to the golfers - the thrill of competition, coupled with a sense of comradery without undue stress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__8jDFQm3Q

Will was playing with Fitzpatrick at the Scottish and did the above. Never seen that. Wind was up to 20-25 mph this afternoon so the a.m. golfers caught a big break. One of the better fields you'll see all year.

Yes, the events with ALL the players allowed to play are the best fields. JP McManus, Majors, events where the courts let them in (like this)

Regular PGA Tour events, which have struggled for years, are really hurting themselves by not inviting ALL of the best players in the world.

You mean the "regular" events that these LIV guys weren't playing anyway? Their participation may impact the majors. And the higher level events. But they mean mostly nothing for the lower level stuff.

You mean the "regular" events that these LIV guys weren't playing anyway? Their participation may impact the majors. And the higher level events. But they mean mostly nothing for the lower level stuff.

Again false. Several LIV players would very much like to play in some PGA events. Particularly those players with "Home" type events.

Reed and Matt Jones in the Wyndham. Jones loves coming to Greensboro and has flat out told me he would play.
Koepka in the Honda and at Riv and Vegas
Mickelson hosting the American Express
Dechambeau at the Byron Nelson and at Bay Hill
Hudson Swafford at Sea Island

The ones who will suffer will be those events.

Again false. Several LIV players would very much like to play in some PGA events. Particularly those players with "Home" type events.

Reed and Matt Jones in the Wyndham. Jones loves coming to Greensboro and has flat out told me he would play.
Koepka in the Honda and at Riv and Vegas
Mickelson hosting the American Express
Dechambeau at the Byron Nelson and at Bay Hill
Hudson Swafford at Sea Island

The ones who will suffer will be those events.

So they want to play LIV and play just a couple PGA Tour events? Then surely LIV would be okay with PGA Tour players playing just a few LIV events, right?

So they want to play LIV and play just a couple PGA Tour events? Then surely LIV would be okay with PGA Tour players playing just a few LIV events, right?

Yes, i'm sure they would actually. If Rory, Tiger or anyone else who moves the wants to play a couple LIV events, they'd love it for sure.

Yes, i'm sure they would actually. If Rory, Tiger or anyone else who moves the wants to play a couple LIV events, they'd love it for sure.
Serious question. When was the last time in American history when an organization/business helped a direct threat to their survival help them survive. I just don't get it. Capitalism would suggest this is a strange idea. We haven't enforced anti trust laws in this country for 40 years. ExxonMobil says hello. The financier of Liv itself is the kingpin against free market capitalism. Organized and ran an oil cartel since the seventies. The idea that the PGAT should do anything to help promote LIV is astonishing. Let the best man win.

Back