• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Any comparable cities to Paris in the 1920's?

Great write up on Berlin. I definitely want to get back in the next calendar year. Im looking at you brasky.

Vad, have you ever met up with anyone off the boards in Europe?

Bro I was just thinking about this last night after reading through this thread. That mid-to-late May window is ideal for me. I say we leave right after your graduation. I just need to be back the first Monday in June.

I found a $1200/round trip flight from Charlotte to Berlin. Is that good?

We can talk logistics this weekend.

Last edited:
Bro I was just thinking about this last night after reading through this thread. That mid-to-late May window is ideal for me. I say we leave right after your graduation. I just need to be back the first Monday in June.

I found a $1200/round trip flight from Charlotte to Berlin. Is that good?

We can talk logistics this weekend.

I'll have to check with the bar study dates beforehand but sounds like a plan to me as of meow.

Obviously not from a substantive standpoint (art, literature) but from the standpoint of "if it's happening, it's happening there," I think there's an analogy to Silicon Valley 90s. And to the extent our culture is a culture of email, google, and iphones, that was the time and place to be for culture, too. To quote the OP, there were (and a still are, though past its peak) definitely people who moved there just to be part of what was going on.

Last edited:
Obviously not from a substantive standpoint (art, literature) but from the standpoint of "if it's happening, it's happening there," I think there's an analogy to Silicon Valley 90s. And to the extent our culture is a culture of email, google, and iphones, that was the time and place to be for culture, too. To quote the OP, there were (and a still are, though past its peak) definitely people who moved there just to be part of what was going on.

I think thats a very solid comparison. I think people are still moving there just to be a part of it but its so ridiculously expensive i cant even fathom the idea.

it's still happening. the arts and especially food culture are top notch as well.

no, but in oakland and parts of sf. i meant the bay area/sf.

SF is just not very big, so it's all spilling over into Oakland and in five years it's gonna be all tech bros.

Reminds me of when I moved to New York in 2009 and all but the most established artists were already priced out of hoods like Williamsburg and Lower East Side. When I moved in 2013, it was all finance bros in the city's most "artistic neighborhoods."

the bay area just fucking rocks though.

Reminds me of when I moved to New York in 2009 and all but the most established artists were already priced out of hoods like Williamsburg and Lower East Side. When I moved in 2013, it was all finance bros in the city's most "artistic neighborhoods."

except with rent control and oakland

except with rent control and oakland

What do you mean? NY has Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and NY/NJ/CT cities, and rent control. Northeast and South Brooklyn, SE Queens, and the whole of the Bronx (as well as Newark/JC/Hobokin) are absorbing those who can't afford to live in the city's trendier hoods. The Bay will get there soon enough, if it hasn't gotten there yet already.

Oakland was already pretty expensive (compared to places that aren't NY and the Bay) when I was pricing graduate school in summer 2013 and my budget wasn't that limited.

What made Paris in the 1920s so special was a confluence of cultural, economic, and political forces after the war. Seems like you'd need a pretty unique set of circumstances to get something similar to a time of postwar positivism/progressivism, roaring economic prosperity, the rise of new media (radio, cinema, theater revival), etc. I think a lot of what made Paris in the 20s so special was novelty.

this was where i made the sf comp. i think that's a great description of the bay area. do i think it's the epicenter of modern art/culture? no, but i'd think you'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere that is in a world this connected. in a world where collaboration happens with out borders, you won't have the concentration of a school of thought the way you had in paris in the 20s.

What do you mean? NY has Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and NY/NJ/CT cities, and rent control. Northeast and South Brooklyn, SE Queens, and the whole of the Bronx (as well as Newark/JC/Hobokin) are absorbing those who can't afford to live in the city's trendier hoods. The Bay will get there soon enough, if it hasn't gotten there yet already.

Oakland was already pretty expensive (compared to places that aren't NY and the Bay) when I was pricing graduate school in summer 2013 and my budget wasn't that limited.

oakland is bigger than sf. san jose is bigger than sf. manhattan has more people than anywhere, so it has a much greater spillover effect.

rent control in sf =/= rent control in nyc. how many people in nyc do you know with rent control?

rent sucks in sf, but if you get in a good spot you can never move for years. it is still a very big arts city.

oakland is bigger than sf. san jose is bigger than sf. manhattan has more people than anywhere, so it has a much greater spillover effect.

rent control in sf =/= rent control in nyc. how many people in nyc do you know with rent control?

rent sucks in sf, but if you get in a good spot you can never move for years. it is still a very big arts city.

Oh, okay. I understand now. That makes sense.

That's interesting. My impression of the rent control laws in SF is that they're slowly starting to resemble NY's because of the dwindling stock of rent controlled units, landlords' increased reliance on the Ellis Act, and lack of affordable housing development. Obviously, it's not New York since New York lost rent control decades ago (rent control is basically just grandfathered in for the few who have it), but it's not like the units disappearing in SF, Berkeley, and Oakland are getting replaced... Is that an accurate read on the situation?

LA's rent control situation is very different. The sprawl, the independent municipality situation, and relative youth of LA probably has some kind of effect, but there are a ton of units here in changing neighborhoods that keep them somewhat affordable or, at least, accessible to the upwardly mobile gentrifier class that does the art.

Back