• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama Nominates Merrick Garland for SCOTUS

Antonin Scalia Reportedly Dead at 79

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sure there is. The democrats did it like 10 times in 2005, and that wasn't even for SCOTUS justices. That was for lowly circuit court judges.

:rolleyes:

Desperation is setting in.

Last edited:
The thing that drives me nuts about the political debate on this board is that you can't have logically honest conversations with Junebug and the other conservatives. They want to dodge, dodge, dodge, and then jump in to try to score a political point on something not on topic and then just keep dodging.

Sure there is. The democrats did it like 10 times in 2005, and that wasn't even for SCOTUS justices. That was for lowly circuit court judges.

I think if you dig a little, you might find more recent precedent on that.

With the seismic shift in the balance of power created by this nomination -- and the consequent potential impact on the stability of our legal system -- the senate should be extremely diligent in vetting any candidate Obama nominates.

This is clearly a reductive question coming from a place of naivety, but the court was, until last week, made up of five right-leaning justices and four left-leaning justices -- why shouldn't that paradigm be reversed for a while? Would that really impact the very "stability of our legal system"? Seems a bit hyperbolic to me.

I think we can all acknowledge that this is the opportunity McConnell has been waiting for to make sure Obama is a one term President.

I don't know. I'm still deciding my view. I'm arguing the republican position because I'm contrarian and because I want it to be correct, but I'm not sure I can get there.

The second sentence should be your sig line.

I don't know. I'm still deciding my view. I'm arguing the republican position because I'm contrarian and because I want it to be correct, but I'm not sure I can get there.

Most honest #goteam post ever.

Trying to be unbiased, it's kinda hard to imagine a Republican president in the foreseeable future.

The vast majority of the data is from non-election years. The most recent time a sitting justice resigned or died in an election year was 1932 (OWH), and although he was quickly replaced, the senate and president were from the same party.

Abe Fortas was nominated for Chief Justice in an election year (1968), but was filibustered in part because of the fact that the nomination occurred in an election year.

Or because he was Jewish and not a racist

Back