• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama Nominates Merrick Garland for SCOTUS

Toobin says Obama will nominate ASAP and GOP will almost certainly never bring that nominee up to a vote. I'm trying to remember procedurally if the minority party in the Senate has any options to prevent anything from being done until this is considered.

The interesting part IMO is Clinton's first act as president will likely be a battle to get her candidate through the Senate. That's crazy.

Good for Obama. I'm sure they have a list of people.

Well this should polarize the election even more and give reluctant voters a reason to show up for Trump and Hillary. They may even be asked to name potential nominees.

Will also galvanize the establishment on the right to say "shut up Cruz and Trump and fall in line so we can get the next SCOTUS justice now"

Republicans are willing to go to war to stop Obama from naming the replacement. So make them do it. Shame them.

Will also galvanize the establishment on the right to say "shut up Cruz and Trump and fall in line so we can get the next SCOTUS justice now"

Doubtful. Cruz and Trump will claim the establishment won't nominate a real conservative justice who will live up to Scalia's standard. Expect Scalia to be mentioned almost as much as Reagan.

Yes. Both sides are going to be galvanized. This is going to impact the state races as well.

Republicans are willing to go to war to stop Obama from naming the replacement. So make them do it. Shame them.

Definitely. Obama should have a nominee ready by next Monday.

Force the Republicans to play obstructionists for the next 8+ months and let's see how that plays with the voters.

Obama should nominate Goodwin Liu-45 years old, Stanford undergrad, Rhodes Scholar, Yale Law. GOP blocked his appointment to the bench since they didn't want the first Asian Supreme in the pipeline. Liu's now a CA Supreme Court Justice. If the 'Pubs are going to block anyone, might as well make them block a young Asian nominee with impeccable credentials.

Doubtful. Cruz and Trump will claim the establishment won't nominate a real conservative justice who will live up to Scalia's standard. Expect Scalia to be mentioned almost as much as Reagan.

Oh, I just read Number's comment as this "will galvanize the right". Yeah, you're not gonna get Trump to fall in line and get behind one of the establishment candidates, especially when Trump is blowing everyone out of the water based on the polls.

Antonin Scalia Reportedly Dead at 79

He clerked for two conservative justices.

Will we see a boost in support for Cruz because of this? The anti-abortion folks are FREAKING OUT!

Sahil Kapur ‏@sahilkapur
It's been 25 years since a president asked a Senate run by the opposing party to confirm a Supreme Court nominee (Clarence Thomas).
The Republicans owe us big time for that gift.

Thanks. I completely forgot about that. I wonder what happens to their clerks in a case like this.

I think they get absorbed into the chambers of the remaining Justices.

One of my law school classmates is (was?) clerking for Scalia this term.

Back