• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama Nominates Merrick Garland for SCOTUS

Statement from Roberts on behalf of the Court.

CbITSr6UYAAaOH3.png:large

@studentactivism
The longest Supreme Court confirmation process from nomination to resolution was Brandeis, at 125 days. Obama has 342 days left in office.

@tedcruz
Justice Scalia was an American hero. We owe it to him, & the Nation, for the Senate to ensure that the next President names his replacement.

CbIUIGDUYAAEjCd.png

The Senate races were already looking favorable for the Dems. Let Mitch McConnell and the Republicans play obstructionist for the next 8+ months and it starts to look even better.

Antonin Scalia Reportedly Dead at 79

Cruz and Rubio are blatantly asking the Senate to make sure the President can't complete a Constitutionally mandated duty. Not only that. They're begging to do it themselves. Republicans will treat it like an executive order overreach when he nominates someone which is his job.

Cruz is blatantly asking the Senate to make sure the President can't complete a Constitutionally mandated duty. They will treat it like an executive order overreach when he nominates someone.

This is probably great for Cruz. He's pretty good at obstructionism.

How depressing. One thing for sure-- SCOTUS decisions won't be fun to read anymore.

We'll see how the obstructionism plays with the general public. I think it's gonna hurt them but we'll see. Suddenly feel much better about the Dems taking back the Senate. Would love for President Sanders to nominate a real progressive for the Supreme Court.

Obstructing an appointment to the SCOTUS seems like a pretty originalist thing to do.

Have RBG retire, replace her with a liberal, replace Scalia with a conservative, West Wing style

Have RBG retire, replace her with a liberal, replace Scalia with a conservative, West Wing style

The thought definitely crossed my mind. I would nominate a bland moderate, to cast a brighter light on the obstructionism.

@SenatorReid
The President can and should send the Senate a nominee right away. The Senate has a responsibility to fill vacancies as soon as possible.

@SenatorReid
Would be unprecedented in recent history for SCOTUS to go year with vacancy. And shameful abdication of our constitutional responsibility.

The thought definitely crossed my mind. I would nominate a bland moderate, to cast a brighter light on the obstructionism.

Nominating the guy that was confirmed with zero dissents seems like it accomplishes the same thing.

My mom said, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

McConnell already out saying the spot should be filled after Obummer leaves

Nominating the guy that was confirmed with zero dissents seems like it accomplishes the same thing.

But he has a weird foreign, practically MOSLEM, sounding name. That's reason enough to block him, or are you not concerned about SHARIA LAW infiltrating the SCOTUS?!?

Opposing that Sri Srinivasan guy seems like it would be a hard sell. He has a moderate background, extremely qualified and has had bipartisan support in the past.

Opposing that Sri Srinivasan guy seems like it would be a hard sell. He has a moderate background, extremely qualified and has had bipartisan support in the past.

Pubs will still fight it. Even replacing Scalia with a moderate moves the court significantly.

Back