• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama Nominates Merrick Garland for SCOTUS

The people I'm seeing freak out the most might be the pro-gun folks. They seem convinced they're just a justice away from having their guns seized. They are going to be VERY motivated come the next election.

I haven't read through the thread yet but I just checked out the Indian guy's Wikipedia page and apparently he played high school basketball with Danny Manning

I wonder what a strict constructionist of the Constitution would recommend Obama and the Senate do?

Antonin Scalia Reportedly Dead at 79

Lol. ^^^ (lasagna)

I think politically this helps the democrats. Obama can out the republicans to the test here. They don't have any choice but to wait it out and take the political hit IMO. Can't let Obama appoint a liberal judge on his way out, but he is going to make them pay dearly for it in my opinion.

The people I'm seeing freak out the most might be the pro-gun folks. They seem convinced they're just a justice away from having their guns seized. They are going to be VERY motivated come the next election.

The gun nuts are already very motivated if Hillary is the democratic nominee.

They are already motivated. Pubs just don't want the liberals to be motivated.

So depressing. Reading him was such a joy. IMO, his dissents were the best in the history of the SCOTUS.

a796d63fe9e40457da33f480b10ee0ad.jpg

I'm sure it's probably been said in here, but it's a joke that Republicans would leave a Supreme Court seat open for a year. Completely without precedent in our history.

I mean Barack still has a quarter of his term left. You can't make nominations for 25% of your term?

The line that the American public deserves a chance to weigh in is BS. They already did. They voted for Barack knowing that there were four justices over 70

Also this has huge implications for cases this term (and next if Republicans really aren't going to fill a vacancy until next February). Cases that would have been 5-4 traditional lineup conservative wins will now be affirmed by an equally divided court, and with the vast majority of the circuits controlled by liberal justices thanks to seven years of Obama appointments, that probably favors liberal decisions.

Back