• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama Nominates Merrick Garland for SCOTUS

He was just joining the crowd in pandering. That's what all of these debates come down to...on both sides. Did anyone think that one of these six candidates would give an answer that Republicans in South Carolina didn't want to hear? And Hillary was no better the other night with her transparent pandering to the black voters in South Carolina. What she was doing was so obvious that it should have been an insult to black voters that she was so patronizing & condescending to them.

These debates are just entertainment theater, more than anything else. Bernie has been the only one out of the whole bunch who was willing to say something (regarding taxes) even though he knew there were people who would not like it....but nobody else has, except possibly Rand Paul...and look where it got him. Kasich tried here, but the heat of the campaign (and his ambition) finally won out.

ETA: May have to add Donald Trump to that list of saying things that some people may not want to hear. Seems like he is letting himself getting drawn into an area that may not help him with GOP voters in SC. Of course, he has proved everyone wrong about that kind of thing so far, so who knows. He's had a big lead there, though, so I don't really understand his strategy so far tonight.

The sad part is, if the roles were reversed, each party would be acting in the same detestable manner. We have a SC opening, we have a president, and we have a senate. The senate can reject everyone Obama nominates, but payback is a sonofabitch and no party has leverage forever. Wasn't there a time when we at least let a body cool down before starting with the political gamesmanship?

Cruz is talking nonsense. He's going to eliminate the deficit by eliminating taxes...while he is exploding the DOD budget.

The Flat Tax is one of the worst ideas in the history of this country.

It will just be a damned shame if this election comes down to one of these six guys & Hillary Clinton. The country will be guaranteed to lose again.

Antonin Scalia Reportedly Dead at 79

Today I learned for the first time that a President shall nominate Supreme Court Justices . . . but only within the first 3 years of each term.

This country's political leaders are pitifully partisan.

The sad part is, if the roles were reversed, each party would be acting in the same detestable manner. We have a SC opening, we have a president, and we have a senate. The senate can reject everyone Obama nominates, but payback is a sonofabitch and no party has leverage forever. Wasn't there a time when we at least let a body cool down before starting with the political gamesmanship?

Maybe, I don't know that that's true

I doubt that a Dem senate would state before anyone has been nominated that they will not confirm anyone. This is a move out of the Republican playbook, not the Democrat one

Antonin Scalia Reportedly Dead at 79

I love how the first foreign policy question asked about lack of specificity. Since then, virtually all answers have sounded like 6th grade social studies speeches. Carson is easily my favorite of the bunch in that regard. It's like he takes his answers from the first paragraph of USA Today articles.

Last edited:
The constitution says nothing about the timing of this. The constitution says only that the president nominates and the senate confirms.

Does it say the President or the next President? #important

If the republicans decide to give a nominee an up or down vote, I would be fine with a good, old fashioned Borking.

So you believe that there's no one Obama could nominate who has the qualifications to be a Supreme Court justice?

Would you support waiting another four years to nominate a justice is Sanders or Clinton win the presidency?

If Sanders or HRC wins, they will take back the Senate. and probably nominate someone less moderate than Obama has to.

So you believe that there's no one Obama could nominate who has the qualifications to be a Supreme Court justice?

Would you support waiting another four years to nominate a justice is Sanders or Clinton win the presidency?

Of course there is. I think Mike Luttig would probably take the job.

And being obstinate on this issue will probably hurt Pub senate races.

Before all this there was already a good chance the Dems were gonna take back the Senate. If a Supreme Court justice is at stake, and the Repubs are seen as playing games and being obstructionists, that is going to motivate Dems like never before. Of course Repubs will be also. But Dems outnumber Repubs.

Back