• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama Nominates Merrick Garland for SCOTUS

If it was OK for the GOP to filibuster, it will be OK for the Dems.

I wonder if Comey is now at the top of Trump's list for Supreme Court or of Bannon will get Tom Metzger's son on the bench.

Pence is picking this nominee. Trump is a deal maker. I'm sure that was on the table.

So Pubs, when RBG dies in February 2020, nobody gets confirmed even if Pubs control the Senate right? The new rule is that the people get to decide in an election year?

Elections have consequences. If pubs control the senate in 2020, they will have a mandate to do as they please with the nominee.

Huh? If elections have consequences then why did the Senators say that Obama shouldn't nominate someone this year. Didn't he win a four-year term?

Pence is picking this nominee. Trump is a deal maker. I'm sure that was on the table.

Won't happen, but Trump could cut a deal with McConnell and Schumer on replacing Scalia and RBG. Let the Senate judiciary committee reach concensus on both picks with no filibuster on either. GOP's holding all the cards, but a master deal maker like Trump doesn't want his shiny young first pick conservative getting shot down in a filibuster. Can still nuke the filibuster later, but wouid be a blow to his ego.

Still possible that Breyer and Kennedy will be replaced before 2019, but Trump couid demonstrate he wasn't beholden to either party by allowing two idealogues be replaced by younger versions right away. Despite hopes, he'll fall in line with the GOP agenda because he doesn't need Dems to get anything done. Can easily nuke the filibuster to get rid of 8 pesky Dem Senators.

So Pubs, when RBG dies in February 2020, nobody gets confirmed even if Pubs control the Senate right? The new rule is that the people get to decide in an election year?

Interesting thread to re-read. This post was quite prescient

Back