• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Obama Nominates Merrick Garland for SCOTUS

My heart goes out to his family. Don't know anything about his personal life but that's a shame to lose somebody out of the blue like that.

Can we get a liberal on the court before the election or have to wait till the next president? Hillary had mentioned Obama. Heads would explode.

As far as the unfortunate political side, how long can the Republicans stall with a 8 justice Court?

Should be a yearlong wait to find a replacement.

Yes. Zero chance anything happens until after the election.

And that's a huge fucking problem. I'm not sure what the procedure will be for deciding cases and conferencing on petitions in the interim.

Toobin says Obama will nominate ASAP and GOP will almost certainly never bring that nominee up to a vote. I'm trying to remember procedurally if the minority party in the Senate has any options to prevent anything from being done until this is considered.

The interesting part IMO is Clinton's first act as president will likely be a battle to get her candidate through the Senate. That's crazy.

Sucks. Wonder what affect it will have on RBG. They were quite close.

Back