• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Senate Races

How conservative on a scale of 1-10 or vs other states is Indiana? I mean Obama won here in 2008 and I am sure saving auto jobs had something to do with it.

I will defer to BSD, the native Indianan. If that is in fact the correct demonym. It's a very white state - think back to the Reggie Miller v. the Knicks and Spike Lee 30 for 30 that ESPN did. But it also has a Rust Belt aspect to it, especially in the northern part of the state. It's not Mississippi conservative. More like Missouri conservative. So if MI is like a 10, NC is like a 4, VA is like a 2, then IN and MO would be like a 5, maybe?

If Pence is the VP pick, chance that Mitch Daniels (who should be at the top of the GOP ticket) may run in Pence's place. Daniels as Governor and Bayh as Senator would be huge upgrades for IN.

How conservative on a scale of 1-10 or vs other states is Indiana? I mean Obama won here in 2008 and I am sure saving auto jobs had something to do with it.

Culturally, Indiana is a southern state. It is probably an 8/10 on the conservative scale. The fact that Obama won Indiana shocked me. But there was high turnout in the East Chicago/Gary and Indianapolis metro areas. Hoosiers do like to vote for Bayhs though.

For some historical perspective, Indiana has gone with a Dem POTOS candidate two times since 1964: LBJ and Obama (2008 only). Assuming this year holds to form, that is something like 11/13 elections won by Republicans over a 52 year period. Like some southern states, it was not uncommon to elect Dems to state house positions, though that has also changed.

Last edited:
If Pence is the VP pick, chance that Mitch Daniels (who should be at the top of the GOP ticket) may run in Pence's place. Daniels as Governor and Bayh as Senator would be huge upgrades for IN.

Mitch would have to take a BIG pay cut for that. Don't see it happening. He's at the wealth accumulation phase of his political life.

I will defer to BSD, the native Indianan. If that is in fact the correct demonym. It's a very white state - think back to the Reggie Miller v. the Knicks and Spike Lee 30 for 30 that ESPN did. But it also has a Rust Belt aspect to it, especially in the northern part of the state. It's not Mississippi conservative. More like Missouri conservative. So if MI is like a 10, NC is like a 4, VA is like a 2, then IN and MO would be like a 5, maybe?

Never knew Michigan was that red.

Mitch would have to take a BIG pay cut for that. Don't see it happening. He's at the wealth accumulation phase of his political life.

Wishful thinking on my part. Johnson/Weld aren't going to win a state, so would be nice to have Daniels and/or Bayh potentially back in the game for 2020.

Never knew Michigan was that red.

You know, they taught us all the state abbreviations in elementary school for a reason. On most days, I know Mississippi is MS and Michigan is MI. But not every day.

The 1 that really used to bother me when I was a kid was MO for Missouri. I thought that 1 the government just got plain wrong.

You know, they taught us all the state abbreviations in elementary school for a reason. On most days, I know Mississippi is MS and Michigan is MI. But not every day.

The 1 that really used to bother me when I was a kid was MO for Missouri. I thought that 1 the government just got plain wrong.

Nebraska is also now NE. Doesn't seem right. Should be NB.

What else would Missouri be? MI and MS are taken by states that fit better. All that's left are MU and MR.

What else would Missouri be? MI and MS are taken by states that fit better. All that's left are MU and MR.

I was in elementary school godamnit. It was unjust that Michigan got MI instead of Missouri. Michigan could have been MC, MH or MG. There was probably some perfectly legitimate historical reason that Michigan was MI. Like it was admitted 1st of that lot, which it was and was probably the reason. It just seemed outrageous to this 4th grader at the time, and my teacher probably didn't give me a reasonable explanation at the time. There. Satisfied?

Absolutely. Even if she wins and the Dems takeover the Senate, unless they kill the 60 rule, the GOP will continue their obstruction.

Caught a direct from the candidate (i.e. non super PAC) ad for Toomey last night touting his anti-Iran deal, anti-Gitmo closing, and anti-sanctuary cities positions (and that McGinty is pro all of those things). The tone was pro-Toomey as opposed to being an attack ad, so it was striking that the best thing he could say about national security/immigration is that he opposes a bunch of shit - as opposed to, you know, having actual ideas.

/rant

Absolutely. Even if she wins and the Dems takeover the Senate, unless they kill the 60 rule, the GOP will continue their obstruction.

If Hillary will just nominate a true GD conservative they will pass with ease. It is all up to her.

If the GOP blocks her nominee, Schumer will change the rules to stop the obstruction. If you lose the presidency and the Senate, you don't get to choose who is on the Supreme Court.

Back