• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Senate Races

If there is another poll like last week's that showed Hassan up 10%, it's a lock. If it's over 5% in an election where everyone knows both candidates, that's a lot.

If there is another poll like last week's that showed Hassan up 10%, it's a lock. If it's over 5% in an election where everyone knows both candidates, that's a lot.

Of course it is to you because you have no objectivity. Hassan has consistently been a bit behind for most of the last 2-3 months, and now both she and Clinton are way ahead in the state, but those numbers will likely come back down. Hassan could be up again next week by 10% but could still end up losing. Ayotte outpolls Trump in NH. If Trump can ultimately keep it to 3-5%, Ayotte still has a shot.

I wonder if Dems can use Trump endorsements against Pubs candidates in Hillary leaning states.

I wonder if Dems can use Trump endorsements against Pubs candidates in Hillary leaning states.

They'll certainly try to tie Trump to the Pubs running for the senate. But if a senate candidate disavows Trump, I don't know how effective that attempt will be. But have any senators other than Flake openly disavowed Trump? (Flake is of course running for reelection this year according to Trump.)

Wouldn't hurt to run an ad using Trump's endorsement.

They'll certainly try to tie Trump to the Pubs running for the senate. But if a senate candidate disavows Trump, I don't know how effective that attempt will be. But have any senators other than Flake openly disavowed Trump? (Flake is of course running for reelection this year according to Trump.)

Mark Kirk.

Of course it is to you because you have no objectivity. Hassan has consistently been a bit behind for most of the last 2-3 months, and now both she and Clinton are way ahead in the state, but those numbers will likely come back down. Hassan could be up again next week by 10% but could still end up losing. Ayotte outpolls Trump in NH. If Trump can ultimately keep it to 3-5%, Ayotte still has a shot.

This is the first time I've said that. I've consistently said it was a toss-up, but don't be bothered by facts if they get in the way of your rant.

Manu used to be great, but he's old. As we know, Father Time is undefeated.

EV-com had a piece this morning on something that has crossed my mind, but we haven't discussed, and that's Zika and abortions. And the place that could play out is this senate election in FL now that they have 400+ confirmed cases. Rubio was asked if women who have been infected with Zika should have the right to have an abortion, and he responded in the negative. A kid born with microcephaly will not be able to function and will have enormous medical bills. While there have been some financial considerations surrounding abortions up till now, Zika can make the financial considerations a game changer. While we're in the preliminary stages of discussing the topic now, it's ultimately going to jack up insurance rates, put folks in bankruptcy and going to become a serious financial and societal burden. Most folks haven't considered this yet, and it's probably too early to have a significant impact on the FL race this year, but I'm betting it's going to be an issue in the future.

Speaking of Zika and conception, did anyone else shudder when Hope Solo talked about Zika and wanting to start a family? Local law enforcement might have to develop a Stevens/Solo task force.

Hope Solo's kid would have a 2 cent brain with elite athletic genes. Would not recruit.

Republicans have shit the bed on Zika. Planned Parenthood needs to be on board for a sexually transmitted disease that affects unborn children.

Dems should be playing up the Zika problem as a GOP problem. Months ago Obama sent a request for funds to fight Zika, the GOP didn't pass it.

Dems should be playing up the Zika problem as a GOP problem. Months ago Obama sent a request for funds to fight Zika, the GOP didn't pass it.

It's only a semi-immediate issue in FL, but eventually, it'll be an issue for much of the South. If Zika does really start to spread, I'm thinking it could take Roe v. Wade out of the political arena for good. Even and especially for late term abortions.

But even one Senate seat could be crucial.

It's still mostly theoretical for folks in the US. That's why I don't think it'll be a big campaign issue this year. But once folks start having kids with tiny brains, it'll be all over the news, and that's when it'll become a terrible issue for Pubs if they don't change their stance on funding and abortion.

Which brings up an interesting question. The big campaign issues for evangelicals have been abortion and gay marriage. Gay marriage is basically over as an issue. If Zika effectively takes abortion off the table in the coming years, what issues are evangelicals going to be voting on?

It's still mostly theoretical for folks in the US. That's why I don't think it'll be a big campaign issue this year. But once folks start having kids with tiny brains, it'll be all over the news, and that's when it'll become a terrible issue for Pubs if they don't change their stance on funding and abortion.

Which brings up an interesting question. The big campaign issues for evangelicals have been abortion and gay marriage. Gay marriage is basically over as an issue. If Zika effectively takes abortion off the table in the coming years, what issues are evangelicals going to be voting on?

I don't think I'd go that far, but the 25% or so who are one abortion voters are baked in to the GOP anyway.

It's only a semi-immediate issue in FL, but eventually, it'll be an issue for much of the South. If Zika does really start to spread, I'm thinking it could take Roe v. Wade out of the political arena for good. Even and especially for late term abortions.
Jesus, that's depressing. I guess I need to move north before we start trying to conceive

Never let a crisis go to waste.

Back