• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Senate Races

Thune isn't crazy enough to do it and be tied to Trump forever. He's got a future.

Thune isn't crazy enough to do it and be tied to Trump forever. He's got a future.

Yeah, Thune is too young and bright to get mixed up with this crap.

My dough is on Chris Christie as he really has no political future left other than swinging for the fences with Trump.

Christie would be a good attack dog. He would say and do anything to be relevant.

John Thune, Ayotte, and Burr are now allegedly being considered for Trump's VP. All are running for re-election in November. Ayotte would make sense for Trump, but not for her. Extremely close election in a swing state, and likely loses her seat. Burr's election is pretty close too. Thune's in a safe seat.

Why is he looking for a career politician?

Trump's choices are limited (Haley, Martinez off the table), so he has to double down on an anti-diversity, but also wants swing state and Capitol Hill help.

Kasich (OH, former Congressman) would be his best bet since doubtful he adds a woman (Ernst, Fallin). Corker and Thune could help in the Senate. Scott helps in FL. Newt's experience helps, but his baggage cancels that out. Christie doesn't add anything.

Warren has some downside with moderates, but makes sense in a base election and reinforces Trump's problems with women since Trump wouldn't be able to resist trashing her too. Kaine's a safer choice, but Trump's not only tone deaf about diversity, he's hostile toward it and wants to turn back the clock.

Dems likely around 52 seats, so Hilary won't be able to jam an ultra judge liberal through, so Jane Kelly (RBG replacement?) probably follows Garland. Latino problem hurts in AZ, CO, NV, and NM, but HRC/Warren, RBG/Kelly, Sotomayor, and Kagan boosts Dems and hurts the GOP nationally now and in the future. Newt's not going to inspire future generations to enter public service.

Kasich cannot get mixed up with this as being labeled a racist would stay with him forever and that's what's gonna happen to Trump's VP. Christie doesn't care, but I am sure Kasich does.

If Latino's really turn out, Dem count could reach 54.

Still think Kasich's daughters are the biggest reason he won't run with Trump. They're 16 years old and no doubt have already extensively discussed Trump's behavior with their parents. Not every high school junior is Bristol Palin and the Kasich girls have already asked some tough questions.

Really curious how Christie's explained his embrace of Trump to his kids (one at Princeton, one at Notre Dame, and two teenagers)? Christie's literally and figuratively a bigger asshole than Kasich.

I'd be stunned if Warren gives up being a major power in the Senate to being a professional mourner.

Kasich is absolutely out. He just said, "This is not a game to me."

I think Al is definitely in the mix. Brown would be 3/5 if OH had a Dem gov.

The question is would publicly vetting and not choosing Bernie hurt.

Just for the fun of what would happen here, I'd love to see what would happen to BKF if Howard Dean was put on the short list. What would bob do?

Yeah I can't see Warren bolting Senate to be HRC's lackey.

I don't see think she would see it that way. There are many different roles a VP can play when in office for sure (e.g. Cheney vs. Quayle), but during the campaign, Warren would be chomping at the bit to take on Trump and promote her own cause(s). Her brand of progressiveism would serve as a bridge between Hillary and Bernie and quicken the pace of Berners getting on board.

I'm not saying it'll happen, but I don't think it's impossible.

Also, how the hell is it 2016 and "Is the country ready for two women?" still a question people are asking? OH MY GOD, THEIR CYCLES WILL ALIGN!!1!1 IT WILL BE WORLD WAR III YOU GUYS

Age plays a role too. Warren's roughly the same age as Hillary, so she's not going to be POTUS. Could eventually be Senate Majority Leader, but first female VP would be a big deal.

Castro, Perez, and Kaine are young enough to have future shots at POTUS. Like Franken, just think Warren or Brown would be better (but aware of the implications). Would prefer Franken to Kloubchar or McCaskill.

The Kasich rumor was that Trump was considering a rival who hadn't endorsed. Could mean Cruz (Lyin' Ted!?!?) or Walker. Both would be significantly worse than Kasich.

I don't see think she would see it that way. There are many different roles a VP can play when in office for sure (e.g. Cheney vs. Quayle), but during the campaign, Warren would be chomping at the bit to take on Trump and promote her own cause(s). Her brand of progressiveism would serve as a bridge between Hillary and Bernie and quicken the pace of Berners getting on board.

I'm not saying it'll happen, but I don't think it's impossible.

Also, how the hell is it 2016 and "Is the country ready for two women?" still a question people are asking? OH MY GOD, THEIR CYCLES WILL ALIGN!!1!1 IT WILL BE WORLD WAR III YOU GUYS

I think it comes down to what kind of relationship they have and if Clinton would give her a meaningful role in the administration. I don't know about the former, but in terms of the latter, Clinton could make her the consumer czar and financial watchdog. So in that sense, she could be more like Cheney than Quayle. It's not like the senate will be passing any laws anyway over the next 4 years.

I am actually thinking Franken from Minn. might get the call.

He has everything you want in this race to battle Trump. Liberal cred yet not a loonie. Experience but still not seen as an insider. Unknown as a politician yet famous. Gravitas with a strong wit.

Brown would be the #1 choice but is out.

Warren would be #2, but she won't want to take less power.

Kaine would normally be top candidate, but he's an old moderate white guy. Not an optimum choice.

Tom Perez is supposedly the top Hispanic choice and is Secretary of Labor. This is a good person to attack Trump's BS about bringing jobs back.

Julian Castro was the #1 pick early this year. He may still be. The others could be a smokescreen. He's got it all and is very young.

Al Franken would be a blast. The ignorant don't know how smart he is or how effective he has been as a Senator. He would also work well with the young Bernie supporters.

Here's a new name that is getting a lot of buzz- Xavier Beccerra. He's a CA Congressman with a lot of juice in the House.

Besides the amazing amount of fun with Al Franken, my buddy could be Dave to Al Franken. I'd get an invite to the WH. I could Charles Grodin. :)

I'm guessing the names will start coming out near the Fourth of July.

Back